I need advice I've been diagnosed with fibroids & was told I need a Hysterectomy. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need advice I've been diagnosed with fibroids & was told I need a Hysterectomy. I need advice I've been diagnosed with fibroids & was told I need a Hysterectomy.

Unread 06-04-2015, 07:22 PM
I need advice I've been diagnosed with fibroids & was told I need a Hysterectomy.

I saw the Surgeon today and he said I need a hysterectomy, honestly I don't feel comfortable with having the procedure because I really don't know why I NEED IT all he said was I have fibroids & he needed to remove my uterus & that he would try to leave both or at least one of my ovaries. He said the procedure would be done Robotic so it would be Outpatient... Do I need to get a 2nd opinion & what questions do I need to ask, he already have me set for surgey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2015, 08:28 PM
I need advice I've been diagnosed with fibroids & was told I need a Hysterectomy.

Hystetectomy is typically what a GYN will recommend for fibroids. Fortunately there are other choices that are less invasive and covered by insurance. I didn't even spend the night when I had UFE for my fibroid performed by an interventional radiologist (IR). The fibroid was my only problem. The tumor stopped growing and its bleeding immediately ceased. It has now shrunk approximately 90%. I went to a couple of doctors who told me the same as yours and I literally ran for my life! Their eagerness to jump to major surgery was frightening and now I know unwarranted. I suggest canceling surgery and searching for an IR to see if you are a UFE candidate. Most of us are however fibroid location must be considered. There is an interventional radiologist search tool. There is also the option of myomectomy however if you are older doctors typically won't bring it up. UFE has an 85% satisfaction rate per Medscape the doctors website. I highly recommend it if uterine preservation is important to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsKitty2u View Post
I saw the Surgeon today and he said I need a hysterectomy, honestly I don't feel comfortable with having the procedure because I really don't know why I NEED IT all he said was I have fibroids & he needed to remove my uterus & that he would try to leave both or at least one of my ovaries. He said the procedure would be done Robotic so it would be Outpatient... Do I need to get a 2nd opinion & what questions do I need to ask, he already have me set for surgey
Unread 06-04-2015, 08:49 PM
Re: I need advice I've been diagnosed with fibroids & was told I need a Hysterectomy.

It is definitely worth a second opinion. I was told I needed a hysterectomy by the first GYN I saw. She actually berated me when I said I didn't want one. I talked to 3 other GYNs and 2 IRs I let them know up front that hysterectomy wasn't an option for me. All of them were fine with that and offered me several different options. Myomectomy, Acessa, and a combo temporary UFE/myomectomy. I ultimately chose a traditional UFE because it had the quickest recovery. I am only two months out so I won't know for 4 more months how well it worked, but the procedure itself was no big deal.

Definitely get a second opinion and if you don't won't a hysterectomy tell them that up front. There are definitely other options. Both Acessa and UFE can technically be done on any size and type of fibroid but each doctor of course has their preferences. My first IR wouldn't do a UFE on me because one of mine is on a stalk. The second IR had no problem with that. It is all personal preference so it may take seeing more than 2 doctors to find the right treatment for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2015, 10:09 PM
Re: I need advice I've been diagnosed with fibroids & was told I need a Hysterectomy.

I agree with the other Sisters... get second, third, fourth opinions if you have to. Especially if you have non-symptomatic fibroids, often doing NOTHING is the best course of action. Something like 75% of women get fibroids but most don't even know it.

But even if you have symptoms, there are other options for you to consider, like Uterine Artery Embolization (UAE aka UFE), Accessa, myomectomy, etc. Myo can be done DaVinci robot also, but it takes more skill than hyst so many surgeons do not do it.

Hyst is permanent and unless your situation is a true, life-threatening emergency, then you owe it to yourself to take a deep breath and spend time reviewing your options. Never let anyone force you into anything. It's YOUR body and only YOU have to live with it! Any doctor worth their salt will appreciate an informed, interested patient.

GOOD LUCK!!!
Unread 06-04-2015, 10:19 PM

I agree with the sisters. Yes, get more information and more opinions.
Unread 06-04-2015, 10:45 PM

I had very small fibroids throughout my entire uturus. They were embedded in the walls so that the first ultrasound actually did not show all of them. Only showed a few. It was the second one that showed more and then the pathology after my surgery showed that I had hundreds growing. Small ones and dime size ones as well. All throughout. I elected to have the surgery as my symptoms became so bad that I could not tolerate it any longer. The ablation did not work for me at all. Looking back though, I am beginning to feel that I shouldn't have had it done. I can't regret what has been done but if I could do things over I would find another way.

My symptoms were severe. Bleeding was so heavy that my shoes would have blood in them. July will be a year since my surgery and I am finally doing a little better. If it is just your uturus and you don't want more children or can't or what not... having it done could be the best thing you ever did. If it involves your ovaries and your cervix.. I would really really really postpone it and weigh your options, get another opinion.. etc. It is not as simple a surgery as they say it is.
Unread 06-04-2015, 10:59 PM

Hi,

I agree with the other sisters in that I highly recommend that you get more opinions. I think that some doctors believe that hysterectomy is the best course if you do not plan to have children. However, there are many options out there. You should try to find a doctor who will listen to your concerns and wishes and help you to figure out which on would be best for you. In addition to UFE and Accessa mentioned above, there are many other alternatives including myolysis and others. What is best for you will depend on your particular circumstances, and your wishes. You are off to a great start on this journey. This forum is a great help.
Unread 06-05-2015, 08:55 AM

Hi and welcome.

Actually, you don't need to treat fibroids at all, unless they are causing problems that you can't live with.

I think that statistic is that eighty percent of women have fibroids, and most don't cause trouble.
Unread 06-05-2015, 09:38 AM

Hello,

If you don't feel comfortable I say get a second opinion!
Hysterectomy should always be last resort and it sounds like this doctor is too quick to jump the gun!
This reminds me of a GYNO I saw years ago that I asked if he could do a hysterectomy.
He said "You don't have anything wrong but sure I can do it for you!" Whoa!! I'm glad i ran out of that office and never looked back I was 21 at the time as well.

Make sure your doctor is on board with you because there are plenty of other ways to treat fibroid!!

Good luck!
Lisa
Unread 06-05-2015, 09:49 AM

I'm bugged he did not list all of her alternatives to include pros and cons of each including ovary removal which is serious business. He said what he would do and signed her up like its not her body and her choice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register