keeping ovaries? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

keeping ovaries? keeping ovaries?

Unread 02-11-2004, 07:35 PM
keeping ovaries?

freshly back from the doc and full of questions. Still waiting for results of latest endometrial biopsy done Monday. Had another hysterosonogram today, blood work, etc. No surgery date until latest biopsy comes back. Guess I am a good candidate for TVH, but doc wants me to keep my ovaries as I have had so much trouble with each and every type and strength of birth control he has tried me on through the years to control bleeding, shrink ovarian cysts, etc. I have heard of so many princesses that end up back in to have ovaries removed years later, are there any definative studies on this? I am all for keeping them...if I can REALLY keep them! He says I can go back to work in two weeks with a TVH, that sounds too good to be true! I am pretty new to this site, so I really haven't read that much about vaginal hysterectomies. I SO appreciate all the information available on this site.
I have to say...looking at all the aliens on the sonogram screen today I really just want them all out of there!!! We were looking back through my chart today and my gyn asked me if I was aware that they first time he told me to seriously consider a hyster. was over 10 years ago!!!! I think I'm finally ready to be back in control of my own life. Leslie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2004, 03:03 AM
keeping ovaries?

I think your best bet would be to do a search on keeping ovaries and one on having to go back later to have ovaries removed (there is probably a better way of wording that for a search though). There are ladies who do go back to have them out later but we reallly don't hear about all the women who never have to go back to have this done. So we probably hear more about the ones going back. There are pros and cons each way to consider and it is a decision you will have to make, with your doctors help.

Hugs,

Linda >^..^<
Unread 02-12-2004, 11:31 AM
keeping ovaries?

Lgeeg,

I too am considering keeping my ovaries when I have a SAH April 8th. I will try to do a search to see if I can find any good data, and will let you know. If you do the same, please share your findings. Thanks

Minnowpaws
(need to change my name==my LSH results this week demonstrated I am nowhere near hoped-for menopause)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-12-2004, 08:39 PM
keeping ovaries

yes, I will certainly let you know what I find out. I have to say, I am really inspired tonight. I left work early today to drive down to see my grandmother-in-law or (gran-mere) as my hubby's family calls her, after her hysterectomy this morning. The angel is 88 years old, and still in recovery as of 10 p.m. tonight, but laying there with a beautiful smile on her face, and worrying about everyone else. She says she feels fine, no pain, and can't wait to get past a week's stay in skilled and be home again. She is amazing! :angel 2: Leslie
Unread 02-12-2004, 09:26 PM
data on keeping ovaries

Well, I did a search to find info on pros/cons of keeping ovaries. The best sites I found were:

http://www.medworks.co.uk/hyster.htm

http://www.contemporaryobgyn.net/be-.../gcmortel.html

and

http://www.ivf-et.com/oopher.html

It seems there are lots of factors for each woman and her doctor to consider (including age, family history of cancers, history of polycystic ovarian syndrome-PCOS, lipid profiles, history of taking and tolerance for oral contraceptives, and several others). It really isn't as straight-forward as I thought before reading these sites. Good luck with your decision. I know I'll be talking with my doctor again and asking more questions before I finalize mine!
Unread 02-12-2004, 09:41 PM
oops! link error

I typed one of those links incorrectly. Here is the correct version:

http://www.contemporaryobgyn.net/be_.../gcmortel.html

It's a good article!
Unread 02-12-2004, 09:43 PM
data on keeping ovaries

Well, I did a search to find info on pros/cons of keeping ovaries. The best sites I found were:

http://www.medworks.co.uk/hyster.htm

http://www.contemporaryobgyn.net/be-.../gcmortel.html

and

http://www.ivf-et.com/oopher.html

It seems there are lots of factors for each woman and her doctor to consider (including age, family history of cancers, history of polycystic ovarian syndrome-PCOS, lipid profiles, history of taking and tolerance for oral contraceptives, and several others). It really isn't as straight-forward as I thought before reading these sites. Good luck with your decision. I know I'll be talking with my doctor again and asking more questions before I finalize mine!
Unread 02-13-2004, 04:46 AM
thanks

Thank you so much for those links, I have had to prepare for an client in from out of town for the weekend, and get a proposal in the mail that was a bit over due (due to feeling like xxxxx), so didn't have a chance to do my own search last night. I will read them tonight after I get home and have a chance to digest it all. My husband said how amazing it is, that one question being answered leads to about 25 more that we have!!! Then there are some of us who have to know EVERYTHING ABOUT EVERYTHING (me), and the research never ends. Right now keeping busy in any form is good because I am getting more nervous by the moment that I haven't heard any results from my latest tests yet. They are two days overdue at this point, and my tummy is flipping! Leslie
Unread 02-13-2004, 07:21 AM
keeping ovaries?

I am in the same boat as you. I am scheduled for my LAVH on 4/13/04 and the doctor says that I can keep my ovaries. Her concern is that I am 33 and have several years left until menopause. My concern is that I don't want to have to live through the pain anymore. I have a history of having ovarian cysts along with endo and adeno. If I keep my ovaries, my concern is that I am going to have to go back in a couple years for more surgery. There are lots of choices to be made. I thought that once I decided to go ahead with the hysterectomy that would be that. But, here I am like you with more questions than answers. This website is amazing and after I read some of the post-op postings I have realized that not one woman has said that she has regretted her decision. I hope that helps us all.
Good Luck

Lynell
Unread 02-13-2004, 08:30 AM
keeping ovaries?

Yep.. confused about ovaries. Me too!

Can anyone who's had it done years ago accurately tell me, if you have your ovaries taken out, are you REALLY in menopause for the REST OF YOUR LIFE????

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register