Things I needed to know before surgery - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Things I needed to know before surgery Things I needed to know before surgery

Unread 06-13-2009, 04:30 PM
Re: Things I needed to know before surgery

The nurses were wonderful in my hospital but detatached as you get towards leaving though I understand, they see a lot of people come and go.

The hardest part I had was trying to pee once the catheter was out. I felt like I was going to die from the pain of an overfull bladder and I just could NOT pee.

The nurses said it was normal which was only the teensiest bit reassuring. What DID help was dear, dear hubby holding my hand in the hospital bathroom, running the water and talking about our camping experiences of the past and using the portajohns. That did it!
I think peeing after surgery was the greatest thing!

Constipation is unfortunately a problem, day 3 and nothing but then I am taking meds that make it worse, the surgery causes it and frankly I'm scared to go. But I am eating bran cereal and prunes and fresh fruits and sooner or later it will go I trust. I have IBS so I've been through rough times with that before.

I'm just trying to be patient and keeping in mind that day by day it is getting better.

My mother had this the same age as me (49 years old) and she is 84 and still kicking and doing fine. I keep her in mind, I've got her genes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie View Post
Oh Lilli - I HATE when they say "this won't hurt." I've since realized thay they are partly right - it won't hurt THEM. I had a drain removed once, the cute, young nurse said just that. She yanked the thing and I swear half my intestines were still attached. It felt like someone sucker punched me in my very sore post-surgery gut. I literally screamed. She said something like - sorry, if I told you it would hurt you would have tensed up and made it worse. Urgh.
Sounds awful. It's like a betrayal of a kind, but you tell it funny.

The hell of it was that after she said "this won't hurt. . . " she said "just take a. . ." and YANKED it out. . ."breath." So my instructions that were supposed to help me relax were given after the deed was done. I yelped and said something like "F**K! What the hell?" I mean, it REALLY hurt!

I have a friend who thinks (after listening to another friend's horrible experience with a hysterectomy) that they just treat middle-aged women like crap. I'd sure hate to think that.
Unread 06-13-2009, 06:11 PM

Okay - I'm giggling here - and I know that hurt you too! I've had a catheter for a few different surgeries - but the first one I had removed was extremely painful coming out. I was only 22 and totally freaked out to have the thing to start with. So, each time afterwards I've braced myself in fear and the nurse looks at me like I'm a big baby. Amazingly, it's never hurt coming out since. I decided it must be the nurse's technique. So I'm glad you yelled and got your frustration out, too!

I've had great nurses, and not so great nurses, but I did find that they were not very attentive this time around. Thank goodness for my hubby, and my doctor's fellows who were constantly available and wonderful to me! Yay med students!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2009, 07:18 PM

Here's one I'd like to add:

Don't drink the sweet stuff they bring you (apple juice, italian ice) the first day. As I was throwing it up, my nurse said, "oh, I hate that they bring you sugary drinks, that definitely makes you nauseous"...now she tells me! The night nurse confirmed that. She said, " I always ask them to take the juice off the tray for my patients". Stick with the ice chips and broth only!

Catheter coming out was totally pain free for me - has to be the technique.

Thanks for putting the list together - It will help other gals!
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:03 AM

Thanks, that list really made me laugh! I was lucky, my nurses were great, very attentive and caring, That list was SOOOOOOOO cool - loved it!

Wanda
Unread 06-15-2009, 11:14 AM

I remember the catheter hurting in the past and this time the nurse said 'breathe' (I gulped) and it was out. WHEW!! I agree it might be technique... I spent a good amount of time dreading the removal of that thing.
Unread 06-15-2009, 01:29 PM

Wish I had known the catheter would have to stay in for 24 hours, and that I wouldn't mind because I didn't have to get up to use the bathroom!

Wish I had known my bladder would spasm.

Wish I had know it wouldn't hurt when the catheter was removed - must be technique!

I had my hysterectomy done in a military hospital. My nurses were great, they just seemed a little frazzled, like they should have had more help.

Nearly a year later, I wish I had pursued it years ago!

TVH 31 Jul 08
"normal" organs behaving badly
Unread 06-15-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napyhed View Post
I remember the catheter hurting in the past and this time the nurse said 'breathe' (I gulped) and it was out. WHEW!! I agree it might be technique... I spent a good amount of time dreading the removal of that thing.
My nurse said "Take a deep breath," and when I tried to breathe in, my tummy was so sore that I couldn't! When she yanked, man did I feel it, but it was a quick couple of seconds and it was over. My husband looked like he was about to slap her(if ever he was so inclined to hit a woman), but he insists the thought never entered his mind.
Unread 06-15-2009, 03:39 PM

Well ladies -- about the catheter. I had one post C-Section and yes it did hurt coming out. I am a nurse and have had to remove hundreds from patients. I never once had a patient complain or curse at me when removing --- only sighs of relief. But after my RALH/BSO I could not pee in the hospital and had to come home with one for 5 DAYS--ugh. My instructions were to remove the catheter 2 hours before my MD appt-- no problem right??? I was so nervous removing the catheter because of my previous experience. I will have to say when I removed my own I held my breath and did it just like I did with all my patients and no pain --- only relief. I do think that it all has to do with technique. I love the list and could not have stated it better
Deb
Unread 06-15-2009, 06:32 PM

Thanks for the great topic. After a rough weekend, it was a great to laugh! I feel so lucky that ALL of my nurses were wonderful. They had great senses of humor and were very compassionate.

I wish I would have known the following:

1. That they wouldn't release me from the hospital because I couldn't completely empty my bladder when I urinated. After they took the catheter out (which wasn't bad at all), I was so happy that I could urinate, but my bladder wouldn't empty all the way. I would have to go back in about 5 minutes and finish the job. I tried to tell them that this wasn't unusual for me, I had the same issue before the surgery. (I think it was because my bladder had been crowded for so long by my massive fibroids, that it didn't know how to empty completly). Anyway, this was a huge deal to the nurses and doctors. I must have had 10 bladder scans. I had to go to the bathroom as much as I could, do a little dance (not kidding you!) and pee some more, and then they would measure the output, then scan to see what was left. They kept me for 2 nights because of this and finally I convinced that that I would continue to go until I completely felt empty and never "hold it".

2. I also wish I would have known/prepared for my iron being so low and the darvocet catching up with me and making me sick after I left the hospital. The two problems together really wreaked havoc on me. My iron was at an 8 when I was discharged. So I was already tired and lathargic, then the darvocet gave me a killer migraine and fever. I lost my appetite and although I had prepared many pre-made meals, NONE of them appealed to me. I could barely get food down. So then I was hungry and tired and lathargic.

I called the doctor yesterday and she said I could switch to advil. My appetite is back and I can feel that my iron is rising. Back on track!

3. Finally, I would have never thought that I would have needed my mom as much as I did. She got on my nerves, but boy was I glad to have her around when I was feeling horrible!

BTW, the darvocet (not the iron tabs) constipated me. I drank "smooth move" tea (can be found in any grocery store) and that helped get things moving very nicely.

Take care!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register