LAVH Surgery on Oct 1 and still in pain | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery on Oct 1 and still in pain Surgery on Oct 1 and still in pain

Unread 10-15-2012, 11:43 AM
Surgery on Oct 1 and still in pain

Hey everyone. I have been reading a lot of the posts here. It's been so helpful! I had my surgery October 1st. I had one HUGE fibroid. Bigger than a tennis ball, just under the size of a grapefruit.I do still have my ovaries.

I have my 2 week post op appointment tomorrow an I need advice on how to talk to my doctor. They only gave me percocet after the surgery for about 5 days. I am still in a GREAT deal of pain. Last Thursday I went in for a same day appointment to get checked. I didn't get to see my doctor but I saw another that assisted in my surgery. (surgery was 6 hours long!) Everything checked out ok she said. She told me to remember it's a big surgery and they took out major organs. Then when I asked for a pain medication refill she said "I am not comfortable with that". Really made me angry. Like I am COMFORTABLE being in agony. I am also taking 800 mg of ibuprofen every 6-8 hours. I really try to make it to 8 hours and sometimes end up taking it every 6 hours. They said it was ok for me to do that.

Sometimes I just lay in my bed and cry. I am not upset over the surgery or depressed from it. I am very happy to never have to deal with the pain and agony and major blood loss from periods. I just can't take the pain!!

Any advice on how to get through to the doctor? I don't want to lose my cool and get upset but it's just so wrong to leave someone hurting like this

I am following the doctors order to a tee. I am not overdoing it, I am resting, I am getting up and walking. I am not having bowel issues or anything else. If the pain was controlled I think I would be doing great physically.
HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2012, 12:06 PM
Re: Surgery on Oct 1 and still in pain

Definitly stay on top of the ibuprofen every 6 hours otherwise you will spend most of your time trying to catch up on your pain, which never works out very well. I would also try alternating heating pad and ice packs at 20 min intervals with a 30 min-hr break in between.

If this is not working, then I would call your Dr back and explain to your Dr how you are feeling and what is going on. Dr's do not like to give percocet becuase it is a class 2 narcotic and can be very addictive. Please don't miss understand me here, I am not trying to suggest that you are "seeking", just that a lot of people do. Which makes it more difficult for those people that actually need them for pain. You may also ask if they would be more inclined to give you something not quite so strong.

Good Luck and continue healing
Unread 10-15-2012, 12:17 PM

I do completely understand that! Doesn't have to be percocet. Just something to help with pain! I am staying on top of ibuprofen for sure.
I am getting stomach pains from it. It's a necessary evil. I know I need to it not only for pain but for the swelling as well.
I am trying to not regret this decision to have the surgery done,
I told my husband a few days ago, I never want to have surgery again. Even if it is life saving! I hope that feeling passes.
I have never had surgery before. This was my first. I am not usually a whiner or complainer.
I do use heat. I can't use ice because of other health issues. The doctor said I could take baths, but my OCD germaphobe self is not comfortable with that yet.
I am impatient and just want to be healed I know it takes time. Thanks for reading and sorry for rambling/whining/complaining!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-15-2012, 01:26 PM

Have you tried alternating the ibuprophen with over-the-counter tylenol? For instance, if you take your ibuprophen at 9, 3, and 9, you could also take tylenol at 12, 6, and 12. You can run it by your doctor if you are unsure, but since ibuprophen and acetemetophen are two different classes of drugs this is generally fine to do.
Unread 10-15-2012, 01:27 PM

I will ask about it at my appointment tomorrow. Thanks for replying!
Unread 10-15-2012, 02:21 PM

I don't think it is unreasonable for you to need something for pain. My doctor gave me Percocet at the hospital and then another RX at my two week appointment. I understand that doctors are hesitant to prescribe narcotics BUT when someone has major surgery that should be taken into consideration. Let your doctor know how you are feeling. If you gyn won't prescribe something for pain maybe you could call your regular doctor? I hope you are feeling better soon! The first few weeks are tough, but it gets better. At 11 weeks out I can now say I am glad I had this surgery.

Hugs!!!
Unread 10-15-2012, 02:42 PM

This is a major surgery and you are not whining. I am right there with right wishing I had just left well enough alone. I've felt very whiny myself and couldn't get comfortable at all for the first 6 days. 2 good days, today not so great. Even if I was "allowed" to take a bath, I wouldn't do it, 1 of the germiest places and so not worth it right now.
( But I do love my bath tub)

This is a journey and we will all get it through it together.

Continue Healing sisters.
Unread 10-15-2012, 02:57 PM

Thanks Glinda! It's good to know you feel glad to have had it done. I hope I feel the same way too soon! Thanks for replying. I appreciate it!
Unread 10-17-2012, 09:09 AM

Angel,

I have been wondering how you are and if your doctor provided you with any relief. I hope he treated you well and you are feeling a little better.

YoungZebra - I am thinking of you as well.

Hugs to both of you!
Unread 10-17-2012, 11:29 AM

My appointment went pretty good. She gave me 12 percocets to use mostly at night. Better than nothing. One of my incisions is a little red. I have to keep an eye on it.
I am going to work on being more patient with myself

(((gentle hugs)))

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register