Surgery is scheduled for March 23 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery is scheduled for March 23 Surgery is scheduled for March 23

Unread 02-24-2010, 03:37 PM
Surgery is scheduled for March 23

Hi!

I am 38 years old. About 5 years ago, I started having irregular periods. I would have a cycle, then skip several months, have one for several months, etc. I mentioned it to my GYN - he did some tests and we determined I was no where near menopause - this was a good thing. So, off to the next idea, let's just watch and wait. I didn't have pain associated (other than minor cramping) at that time with my periods, so I felt that was a good idea. Fast forward to 2 years ago. I started having some spotting between periods, especially after intercourse, so I mentioned it to my GYN again. He did an ultrasound - and boom - there they were! A "reason" finally - fibroids. So, from there, in the past year my periods have become unbearable with very large clots, horrible cramps and pain and heavy bleeding. The bleeding between cycles isn't as horrible as it was once, but still occassionally happens after intercourse. I had my yearly exam in January. When he did my pelvic, he said the fibroids had definitely grown in size, hence why I'm having so much pain associated and he explained the options we had and told me to take my time to decide. Also, I have been anemic from birth, so, I didn't think anything of it when my general doctor said my iron was at a 7 not long ago - now I know a "reason" that my iron is bottoming out again, as I thought we that all under control. I called back 2 weeks later and scheduled my hysterectomy for March 23. I was nervous at first, but it's the right decision for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2010, 04:33 PM
Re: Surgery is scheduled for March 23

I only 2 years older than you. Yup, those huge blood clots and cramps, bleeding/spotting between periods, anemic etc....that is me as well...fibroids is the root my problem and thus I know hysterectomy is the way to go for me. So you are not alone in what you are dealing with. Read information here and keep posting...I have found this to be most helpful even though I am still super nervous.
Unread 02-24-2010, 04:47 PM

I had a TAH on 2/8. I went back and forth on whether I should do the surgery or not. I was not in a lot of pain - mostly pressure from the fibroid pressing on my bladder. I also clotted alot during my cycle. I am so glad I went through with the surgery. My doctor said my uterus was the size of a bowling ball. I felt better immediately after the surgery. I could tell I wasn't carrying that extra weight anymore. I'm two weeks post-op and feeling great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-24-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo633 View Post
I had a TAH on 2/8. I went back and forth on whether I should do the surgery or not. I was not in a lot of pain - mostly pressure from the fibroid pressing on my bladder. I also clotted alot during my cycle. I am so glad I went through with the surgery. My doctor said my uterus was the size of a bowling ball. I felt better immediately after the surgery. I could tell I wasn't carrying that extra weight anymore. I'm two weeks post-op and feeling great.

Mo633, your situation sounds just like mine. I am so glad to hear you are doing well and that you can totally tell the difference of not carrying that extra weight anymore. Right now my back has been bothering me and "aunt flo" has reappeared for a visit today Its not supposed to as I am on Lupron injections..I hope it doesn't come back with a mean vengeance...Take care
Unread 02-24-2010, 06:29 PM

Thanks everyone. I've been wondering about the size of my uterus, also - no matter if I lose weight, my stomach is still there. I'm of very short stature (4'11 and 3/4" - yes, I am ALMOST 5 feet..ha ha)..so, the stomach stands out the most as to what doesn't shrink when I am working out, etc. I know my doctor said the fibroids grew over the last year, but I'm quite curious as to how large they have...since we didn't do a second ultrasound, I may not know until surgery.

Thanks again for the support. Although not what I wish for anyone, it's good to know I'm not alone in my symptoms.
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2010 View Post
Mo633, your situation sounds just like mine. I am so glad to hear you are doing well and that you can totally tell the difference of not carrying that extra weight anymore. Right now my back has been bothering me and "aunt flo" has reappeared for a visit today Its not supposed to as I am on Lupron injections..I hope it doesn't come back with a mean vengeance...Take care

Phew..."Aunt Flo" was only "teasing me" yesterday as I only spotted...boy did that scare me and reinforced me why I need this surgery.
Unread 02-25-2010, 10:50 AM

Good luck to you on your sugery and hope you find some relief now from your issues.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register