Why did I go through with it. - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Why did I go through with it. Why did I go through with it.

Unread 05-10-2012, 05:29 PM
Re: Why did I go through with it.

vitaminut

I was lucky to keep my ovaries, but did not know until after surgery, they were "healthy," and probably would have keep going and going at 55.

Some of us try to rethink this and I am beginning to believe that is "normal." Since the new normal is not here yet, we are still in transition, looking back, well, if you are removing a diseased uterus, well then you will get better with time, we are all here seeking a cure.
Just so many ways your lady parts can get sick and make you sick too.

Hope you get better and know you are not alone .

As one sister pointed out--still a woman.
Still a lady,
get a pillow out
and pamper your self a bit.
May seem silly,
be princess for a day tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2012, 07:28 PM

I've been wondering the same thing myself. While my recovery, for the most part, has been unremarkable, the effects of being thrown into full-blown menopause really sucks. Horrid insomnia, anxiety and mood swings are unbearable. I've really been regretting this and I think that I would rather live in the horrid, horrid pain for the rest of my life. I know that it's a matter of getting the hormones balanced and that takes time. I am just tired of being tired, crying and cranky.

I am glad that my evil uterus and ovaries are gone, but is the trade-off worth it?

Sorry for the rant, it's been one of the bad days.
Unread 05-10-2012, 07:40 PM

I haven't been on here in awhile but I can relate to almost everything you've said. I had TVH w/ both ovaries removed and I went back to work part time at 1 1/2 weeks because of my job and I didn't have a lot of paid time off. I work for a small company there is no short term disability unless you pay extra for it at 30 bucks a week and have to have been on it a year. Anyway, I clearly went back to early and it was the pain meds talking when I told the doc I wanted to. I worked a week and a half and then went in to see the doc for the first time and she wrote me off again for 4 days for exhaustion at 3 weeks post op. I was having almost all the feelings you are all talking about with the depression, bloating, exhaustion, feeling worthless and even though they put me on a patch, started having some menopause symptoms that I hadn't had before. I'm at 4 weeks now and it seems to have gotten some better...I don't feel worthless and hopeless as I did at 3 weeks but still so tired and not sleeping. I'm still really happy I did it BUT I think it will be awhile before it gets to the over the hump bit. My friends who went before me said to give it at least 3 months. My poor husband........ ANYWAY just a I'm with all of you and I think it's the recovery stage we're all at. At least I'm hoping....I'm not a weepy kind of person but I have been recently and last week I'm not even sure I knew who I was......
This too shall pass......and boy am I sorry I laughed at my mom's symptoms when I was a teen : )
We'll get through all of this together ladies. Just a LOL moment...I had a hot flash Tuesday while I was in my bosses office sitting across from him and raised my hand to get some air and he said "hot flash?" what could I do but agree??? At least I didn't start crying : )
Here's to more sleep and less tossing and turning!
Unread 05-10-2012, 09:17 PM

Yes, here's to more sleep!!!
Unread 05-11-2012, 12:35 AM

None of us walked into our doctor's office one day and said, "I want a hysterectomy!" We have various conditions that led us to this point, but each of us thought about it and agreed that it was something that was medically necessary or appropriate to do. It's easy to want to second guess the situation, and whether it's a short easy recovery, or a difficult and complicated recovery, we all have some struggle with getting through this.

In my case, I was thrilled that there was such a straightforward remedy for my endometrial cancer. I got a good post-op pathology report and won't need chemo or radiation. But it was still a major decision, surgery was a significant risk to take, and the first few weeks post-op were just plain hard. I was tired a lot, collapsed in tears if I let myself get a little too tired or if I felt any stress. I went through a few days of really feeling distraught that my womb, where I grew my babies, and my ovaries, where I grew my eggs, were gone. I'm a post-menopausal grandma, but I guess I was still emotionally attached, like keeping a favorite stuffed animal or something.

Now I'm 8 weeks post-op and feeling pretty good. But I didn't do this for the fun of it. None of us did. There is a huge gap between making informed decisions with our minds, and getting our emotions to accept that decision. All I can say is that if you give it a little more time, you will start feeling more and more like yourself.

Hugs to you and to everyone!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register