Life at 40 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysteritaville - Wellness Post Hysterectomy > HysterSisters Club House > Life Begins at 40

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-15-2006, 11:32 AM
Life at 40

I sometimes find it hard to believe that I have entered my 40's. Where did the 30's go? But turning 40 was not bad at all. I find myself to be much calmer, I don't let the little things bother me as much. I hope that I have learned thru experience. I don't think I look 40, but who knows, maybe I really do. I know I don't get carded anymore when purchasing alchohol or when ordering a drink at a restaurant.

Anyways, just wanted to pop in and say hi to all my fellow 40's sisters.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-19-2006, 08:07 AM
Life at 40

I turned 40 last year only to discover that I had a huge fibroid that needed to be monitored and the estrogen flows were giving me big mood swings. I have never been in better physical shape in my life and have an interesting career and emotionally sustaining relationships. When the doctor told me 4 weeks ago that I needed to have a hysterectomy because my fibroid was growing too quickly, I was devastated thinking I would now surge into menopause, my boyfriend would leave me, and I wouldn't have the energy for my career. But it hasn't been that way. While the belly is swelly and uncomfortable, the decision to undergo a hysterectomy was the best one. My boyfriend demonstrated his kindness and there is no symptoms of menopause. I'm accepting that 40 truly is a transition point and I need to worry about my health moreso than before. I believe that life truly does begin at 40, a better, happier life.
Unread 10-20-2006, 03:32 AM
Life at 40

Hello ladies. I am 43 and I 2 find myself somewhat calmer and not disturbed so much by the little stuff. I find that I am more rational and not as hasty about things as I once was. I guess I am learning to slow down and enjoy life and be thankful to see each day. I 2 had a fibroid, it was on my uterus and was rather big. I had a partial supracervical, in Aug 2005, still have ovaries and cervix. My belly as well has swelled some but hey, I am not so worried about it. What I have noticed is that around my time of the month (by the way I still have a period for about 2 or 3 days a month and was told this was normal, not so sure)I get pain in my abdomen, where I guess my ovaries are and my side hurts me. I am currently in Iraq so once I get back home I will have this re-checked but other than that, I am glad I don't have to worry about taking my pills everyday. I wish that I was not having a period but maybe that's the price U pay for keeping the ovaries(still have to get re-checked about this though). I have not been active sexually since April 2005, so I am wondering what that will be like once I get back into the swing of it. I just wanted to chat a little and hope to be able to chat with you ladies more in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-20-2006, 05:31 AM
Life at 40

I'm glad you guys started this. I was just talking to some friends about this. It seems that the day I turned 40 the light bulb came on. I was not sad at all. I realized, I LOVE MY LIFE! I have everything I could ever want minus lottery winnings LOL. I too am much calmer(Thank you Lord!!!) I just kinda get it.(Life) Sometimes it's frustrating to see how the younger ones don't. I guess they too will turn 40 and see the light.
I just wish I could still skip a meal and drop 5 lbs. I guess it's a trade off.

to all my 40 yr+ Sisters
Unread 10-20-2006, 07:01 PM
Fab Forties

I am 46 this month and kind of amazed at the change in my style of life since turning 40. Has anyone entered the phase where you find you stand up for injustice for yourself or something else with great passion? I am wondering if this is perio or just becoming the wise woman. Lately I find I have no tolerance for the BS that's out there. I am not going around being overtly fiesty but if somebody gets out of line, I don't hesitate to share my anger. Like a flash of assertiveness that comes and goes. It's almost like it's not me anymore who is talking.
Unread 10-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Life at 40

Hello Ladies.
Just wanted to say HI and let you know that I am leaving Iraq (I am a Army contractor) and going home for 2 weeks on R&R. I am so ready to relax. I am getting to old for this and as soon as I have done my year (Mar 07) I am going home, sit down , enjoy my retirement and spoil my grandkids. Someone else mentioned being glad this thread was started and I 2 am glad that we have it and can share. Oh, I think my belly is going down some. I have cut back on what I eat and it seems to be shrinking somewhat.
I hope that you all have a wonderful day.
Unread 10-22-2006, 12:46 AM
Life at 40

I turned 43 in July, am 1 year cancer-free, and a month away from TAH -- I can't wait. My fantasy is that the hysterectomy will continue and strengthen the process of getting stronger and finding my voice that seems to have started in my 40s. I resonate with the comments about assertiveness and feeling like someone else is speaking -- it's exciting to feel as if I'm channeling wisdom and clarity and justice -- with freedom. I am doing lots of core work, trying to strengthen my abdominal area and glutes. I want to surf, ballroom dance, rollerblade, and feel wonderful in sexy clothes. I want to have my body back, the free, strong body I had when I was a kid. So that's what I'm visualizing as I count down to surgery.
Unread 10-29-2006, 02:31 AM
3 days postop and 40 years old

I've always believed that "you are as old as you feel" but don't really want to think that way right now.

I turned 40 in June and it effected me differently than I ever expected. It probably didn't help that I was in a lot of pain from the endometriosis but now that I just had the surgery I can see a light at the end of the tunnel and look forward to feeling young again.

As far as the change in my personality, like others on this thread, I definitely feel like I've hit a point of "validation". I don't have the need to say and do all the things people expect of me. Now I say what I mean, which isn't always a good thing, lol, and I'm not letting people push me around like I did in the past. Don't get me wrong, I'm still polite and "nice" but not as much of a "sucker" as I once was. It's really comforting to know I'm not alone in this transition period.

Take Care.
Maura
Unread 11-19-2006, 06:01 AM
Life at 40

I truly love getting older. I'm 46 now and I find that each year I become happier and happier with the woman I am becoming. I would never want to be, like my daughter, in my 20's again !!
Unread 11-23-2006, 07:37 AM
Life at 40

I am 42 and your messages give me strenghth. I have had a couple of emotionally rought days, but I know I am very lucky to have 3 DD and DH who love me and I them. I have had alot happen since I turned 40 I moved away from my family (6 sisters 2 brothers)they were 5 minutes away now they are 4 hours, my Dad passed away last March and I just had surgury for the first time in my life. My Mom always said life begins at 40 and I know when I am feeling stronger I will feel the same. I want to wish all my American Sisters HAPPY THANKSGIVING, even though we celebrate in October I am very thankful for my hystersisters. My thoughts are with you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register