TAH 14 days post hysterectomy: Off the pain killers and feeling it | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

14 days post hysterectomy: Off the pain killers and feeling it 14 days post hysterectomy: Off the pain killers and feeling it

Unread 12-22-2015, 03:11 AM
14 days post hysterectomy: Off the pain killers and feeling it

its been 14 days since my TAH and my goodness I'm feeKing the pain since I'm now not taking pain killers. I would like to hear from all you sisters out there how long you took pain killers and how long the pain persisted? I've been doing a fair amount of walking and prob not resting enough, now I'm regretting it😭.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2015, 03:16 AM
Re: Off the pain killers and feeling it

I was off at 2 weeks and I'm feeling no real pain (though I've really been taking it easy) . Worst thing are these ice pick headaches that hit 5-6 times a day, same spot in my right temple.
Unread 12-22-2015, 08:52 AM

I had an LAVH. I'm still on the pain killers. I was taking them somewhat sparingly but was in extreme pain. I saw my dr last week and she told me to take 2 every 4 hours-she did not want me to be in pain. Yesterday I was feeling slightly better. I graded some papers and only took one pain pill. Today I'm in agony and can barely get out of bed so I took two.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2015, 03:09 PM
Re: 14 days post hysterectomy: Off the pain killers and feeling it

2 weeks ago today I had my surgery. I take my pain pills at night still as I still get in quite a bit of pain around dinner time. So once a day I take two pills.
Unread 12-22-2015, 03:34 PM

Thanks sisters. I was in agony yesterday . I'm going to take pain killers and try not to over do things. I wish you all a good recovery and hopefully we won't be in pain much longer
Unread 12-22-2015, 03:56 PM

Heidi75, by "pain killers" do you mean narcotics? If so, did you try taking OTC ibuprofen to see if that did the job instead? I was only on narcotics for the first three days after surgery but took ibuprofen for the first couple of weeks.
Unread 12-22-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurprisedInNB View Post
Heidi75, by "pain killers" do you mean narcotics? If so, did you try taking OTC ibuprofen to see if that did the job instead? I was only on narcotics for the first three days after surgery but took ibuprofen for the first couple of weeks.
Not narcotics anymore but I was on them over a week, had a terrible time with pain. I'm now only taking paracetamol and it only takes the edge off. I guess it is a major surgery we have had . I've got a lot of inflammation around my back region from the abdominal surgery. I'll try some ibuprofen thanks very much sister
Unread 12-22-2015, 09:36 PM

Oh, for me when I was talking about "pain killers", I was definitely talking about narcotics. I'm taking them along with Aleve. At first, I was trying not to take them that much. I felt guilty because I saw women on here who only took them the first two or three days. My dr really felt that was hindering my recovery because I was in so much pain. She told me to take 2 every 4 hours and not to let myself get in pain. She was right. It helped a lot. Now I'm down to about 2 per day plus 3 Aleve per day.
Unread 12-22-2015, 10:03 PM

I had a vertical Tah ,along with taking out a 22 cm tumor!! I was narcs for 9'weeks. For the first 2 was every 4 hours and then the next 2 twice a day especially at bedtime. Then 5 to 9'weeks it was just at night. In between, I took Advil or Tylonal. I had a lot of pain. Of course it didn't help,getting a cold at 10 days. I think all the coughing was what made me have pain. I was feeling good till I got sick.
If you need to take them, then take them. Your body needs to heal and it can't do a good job,if it is fighting pain too.
Unread 12-22-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jps05959 View Post
Oh, for me when I was talking about "pain killers", I was definitely talking about narcotics. I'm taking them along with Aleve. At first, I was trying not to take them that much. I felt guilty because I saw women on here who only took them the first two or three days. My dr really felt that was hindering my recovery because I was in so much pain. She told me to take 2 every 4 hours and not to let myself get in pain. She was right. It helped a lot. Now I'm down to about 2 per day plus 3 Aleve per day.
I'm glad I'm not alone here. I felt bad that I still needed to take strong pain killers also as most ladies were off them after 2-3 days!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register