Do I really need a hysterectomy? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do I really need a hysterectomy? Do I really need a hysterectomy?

Unread 09-29-2005, 02:15 AM
radical

I agree with Auschick. That was what happened to me, I was told I had NO CHOICE but to have a hyster. I was told wrong! I wish I had of run screaming from the doctor's office!!! I also agree with mjd2491, this is something you REALLY NEED TO EXPLORE EVERY AVENUE THERE IS BEFORE TAKING SUCH A DRASTIC STEP.Check out the link she's put there for you. Only do it if your life is in danger, as it is not always the right answer for everybody. I CANNOT EXPRESS HOW IMPORTANT YOUR DECISION WILL EFFECT YOUR WHOLE LIFE, THE WAY YOU THINK, FEEL, EVERYTHING! PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS DECISION LIGHTLY AS IT IS HUGE! Hormones might help with your heavy bleeding, so see if you can see an endocrinologist to check that out, it's only a simple blood test. Research as much as you can, learn what it will do to your body, not to mention your mind! Radical
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-29-2005, 10:22 AM
Do I really need a hysterectomy?

jilitmr2, I encourage you to take yourself off the surgery schedule and spend somemore time researching and getting more opinions on your circumstances. No one should have elective surgery when they sound as uncomfortable with the situation as you do. You don't mention your age and whether or not you plan on keeping your ovaries. These are both important concerns. You do mention depression. You are questioning if this is related to your menstrual problems. Good question. There are many women who post here on this forum that have depression after surgery. I would not expect a cure for depression by having a hysterectomy. Many women feel that their female organs are a nuisance and will encourage surgery for almost any reason. It is often very difficult to sort out the recommendations. You are fortunate in that your surgery is elective (you have not been handed a diagnosis of a life threatning illness). You have time to figure your situation out and to have realistic expectations. With the questions you are asking I am concerned that you are not there yet.
Unread 09-29-2005, 10:46 AM

i too had a tubligation , then the ablation which reduced my period drastically but a year later started with severe ovary pain . As of may 2005 i had a vaginal hysterectomy removal of uterus and cervix and was left ovaries so i wouldnt jump into menopause . I am pretty much pleased with the surgery and sounds to me from past stories vaginal has less complications down the road . I may have to have me left ovary removed cause it is attaching to the bowel but so said is cause of scar tissue but i feel by far not like the stories ive read on here . Best of luck on your choice !!
Unread 09-29-2005, 11:47 AM

I also had a tubal 15 years ago and didn't have any problems until the last 2 years when ab pain constantly, bad cramping and heavy bleeding, running to the bathroom every 1/2 hour to hour during the day and 2-3 times at night, going between diarrea and constipation but never a normal bowl movement. So for me yes I am having one due to the reason in my signature. But like the rest of the girls said I would get another opinion and do more reasearch. Has a doctor done a laparascope on you to see if there may be other issues that could be causing the heavy bleeding. Sounds to me that you may have other issues causing you this. But as I said earlier its only ones decision and only you can make it. But for me I want my life back and have a fullfilled life with my husband rather than working around my not feeling well all the time and having to stop every hour for me to hit the potty when traveling, ect... Good luck to you on whatever you choose but make sure its the what you truely want to do as you can never turn it back.
Unread 09-29-2005, 10:49 PM
Radical

Dear jilrtmr2, I have been thinking about you since first reading your question. PLEASE WEIGH EVERYTHING UP CAREFULLY BEFORE MAKING ANY FINAL DECISIONS. This will effect you for the rest of your life, trust me, I know from experience. As I said before, and I can't stress it enough is keep researching, keep talking to all the wonderful women here to give you the support you need. (I wish this web-site was here 15 years ago!) There is NO RUSH, TAKE YOUR TIME, and as I suggested before, get 20 opinons if you have to. Your ovaries are SOOOOO IMPORTANT. I will keep praying for you, as I can't get you out of my mind. All the best, Radical.
Unread 09-30-2005, 12:43 AM

Dear jilrtmr2
I have also been thinking about your post, firstly I totally agree with radical and you would by wise to take note of her advice.

Secondly, it hit me just now. You ask "Do I really need a hysterectomy?", I think you have just asnwered your question - NO. The reason I say this is because it is obviously on your mind, more so to put it in writing. It sounds to me like you are not sure the more I read your post and what you titled you post, to me, is a dead giveaway. If you can ask it you don't need it.

Please cancel and look for other alternatives. It seems like radical and I are both suffering after this surgery and there are many more women, I am begging you to please not put yourself through this. Learn from other people's mistakes, I sure wish I had of.
Unread 09-30-2005, 04:02 PM
radical

Dear Jilrtmr2,
Auschick (I feel) has just hit the nail on the head (so to speeak!). You really have answered your own question!
As fast as you can, and get other opinions.
Auschick and I are suffering, and (I'll speak for both of us), we don't want the same thing happening to you.
HOLD ON TO THOSE OVARIES! I really hope you take our advice onboard, I wish I had of had women like the ones here to talk to before I had mine done, I WOULD NEVER HAVE GONE THROUGH WITH IT. YOU DO HAVE A CHOICE, NEVER FORGET THAT.
Also, sweettlc has reminded you that this is a HUGE decision, listen to her advice too, postpone it, you're not going anywhere, and neither are the doctors!
Pearle has great advice too, do you mind us asking how old you are and if your doc is planning to remove your ovaries?
Also, a hysterectomy will not cure you of your depression, it has only made mine ALOT WORSE.
Ladyfair has got a great point too, YOU CAN'T REVERSE IT ONCE IT HAS BEEN DONE.
I AM BEGGING YOU TOO, LIKE AUSCHICK, DON'T DO IT TO YOURSELF IF YOU DON'T HAVE TO.
By the sounds of it, you are NOT READY to make this kind of LIFE CHANGING decision.
Sweettlc is right with her advice on ONLY DO IT IF YOU ARE IN A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION.
Please keep us posted on how you are feeling, we care, because we've been there.
Have you got any kids? I haven't, and the hole in my heart is so HUGE that I don't think I will really EVER get over that. Are you still booked in for the op?
s to all of you. Radical. xxx

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register