Home the next day with DaVinci?!?! Really??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home the next day with DaVinci?!?!  Really??? Home the next day with DaVinci?!?! Really???

Unread 07-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Home the next day with DaVinci?!?! Really???

My doctor says I'll go in on a Monday morning, have 4 hours of surgery, and go home the next day! Has anyone had this experience? What is it like? She says I may go home with a cath!!! This sounds awful. I'm having my uterus removed and a cystocele repair with mesh. My ovaries are staying in and only part of my cervix is leaving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2010, 06:20 PM
Re: Home the next day with DaVinci?!?! Really???

I'm scheduled for daVinci total Hysterectomy on 8/16 - hoping to keep ovaries (no cystocele repair) and was told I would probably go home the next day. I hope so, I'll be more comfortable at home. I was not told anything about going home with a cath.
Unread 07-28-2010, 06:29 PM

Sunshine,
I had my da Vinci at 7:30 am, it took 5 hours for a surprise monster fibroid! Actually could have gone home that same day, however, had a hard time emptying my bladder, then spiked a fever 101 so I spent the night. Was released the next day at 3 after additional blood work showed that my levels had risen out of the critical range!! Sheesh. Anyway, if you have and hopefully you will have an easy procedure, you'll be fine one night. Recovery for me compared to some others has been remarkably easy. You won't regret your decision for da Vinci! Good luck Take care Lori
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-28-2010, 06:33 PM

My docyor also to me the longest I would stay was overnight. No cat was mentioned. pre-op appt is friday that is defimitely a question i will ask.
Unread 07-28-2010, 07:19 PM

I had a davinci total and went home the same day. Didn't take anything for the pain other than 600 mg of ibuprofen.
However, I'm a nurse so I don't get too scared about things and I wanted my own bed!!
Still, the bladder spasms (hurting to and having a hard time peeing) was a bit disconcerting. My cath was taken out in recovery so I never actually saw it. If you need to go home with one, that's okay! You won't have to get up to pee that first night!
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:22 PM

I went home the same day as well, but apparantly I like morphine very well. Was the first time I had it and I was WIDE awake. Woke up in recover and was sitting up asking questions and eating ice and they brought me to my room and I was wide awake and ate something in the hour and then they made me wait 2 hours before they sent me home. I was just fine. Yes, the peeing part was hard- your bladder feels like it doesn't work very well. You just trickle all the time. I think it took me about 2 weeks to pee a normal stream of pee again. I didn't go home with a cath. They took it out. I told them to so I could go pee on my own. I was all "wired up" and ready to go. I know there are so many things to be nervous about. But you'll know if you are ready or not. They told me I could stay if I wanted but I wanted to go home when it was over.
Unread 07-28-2010, 09:52 PM

I had a da Vinci Friday, July 16th, and the original plan was for me to go home the next day, but I could barely pee after they took out the catheter and my pain was not under control. I also had uncontrollable involuntary shivering of my jaw, shoulders, and hands Friday afternoon and evening, and Saturday most of the day. The shivering didn't stop until my IV fluids were increased and they took me off the morphine pump. I wasn't shivering because I was cold; I couldn't help it; my jaw was doing it on its own.

I have since done some research online, and apparently jaw shivering is quite common after general anesthesia. The articles I read online said doctors believe it's a person's body trying to compensate for the cold temperature of the OR and overcoming the anesthesia. The nurses and attending doctor didn't seem too concerned about it, although it was bothering me because I couldn't stop doing it.

There's no way I could've gone home Saturday; I was in too much pain and could not pee.

Good luck to you,

Dana B in Houston, TX
1992 - Endometriosis & D & C
2005 - Novasure Endometrial Ablation for heavy bleeding; no periods for 5 years
7/16/2010 - da Vinci assisted laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy due to severe pelvic pain and nausea for 6 months -- ER visits and missed work (kept ovaries)
Unread 07-28-2010, 10:06 PM

I had a total hysterectomy on July 20th and they removed my ovaries. I went home the next day. I felt great that night and would have loved to leave but I stayed the night.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register