3 days post TAH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days post TAH 3 days post TAH

Unread 07-23-2004, 07:37 PM
3 days post TAH

Just wanted to reassure those of you in waiting. I had a TAH--(uterus & cervix only), 1 lg and several smal fibroids. I am 49 and have had an amazing experience thus far. Very little pain---even when coughing---more when laughing!
I am standing straight up, walking with no difficulty, and cannot believe I feel this good. I certainly feel very fatigued, but cannot be more pleased with the results!!

For those in waiting---keep the faith-----it may not be as bad as you might be anticipating!

I am also taking a non-narcotic drug called Toridol--which is a non-inflammatory and has worked more effectively than my Lortab. It is an amazing drug and has made a huge difference in my pain management.

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2004, 08:18 PM
3 days post TAH

So glad to hear it went so well!!!! That is exactly what I am hoping for. Do you know yet how many staples or stitches you have? Do you know how big the incision is yet?

Rest, rest, rest and tell us more when you can comfortabley.

k9
Unread 07-23-2004, 08:50 PM
3 days post TAH

When is your surgery??
I'm not quite sure how many stitches, but they are internal and will not need to be removed! It's covered with steri strips, but I am showering as well.
It looks like about a 5 inch incision.
That's the sorest thing on me at this point, and I'm also numb slightly above and below incision. which I understand will also subside.

Good luck, keep me posted! I'm sure you'll do awesome!! I'm also convinced that the whole mental state makes an enormus difference. Although I was worried prior to and the day of, I adore my surgeon, and had a terrific anesthesiologist--which relaxed me as well!!

Robin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2004, 10:28 PM
3 days post TAH

Hi Robin,

It is wonderful that you are feeling so well. My TAH is Tues. July 27, for the same thing...LARGE fibroid tumor. Just courious, did you loose weight....from getting rid of the big tumor? I have gained since mine started growing so much (to size of 4 1/2 mo.
pregnancy doc said) Just courious...
I hope my recovery goes as well as yours is going! I wish you a speedy recovery!

Karly
Unread 07-24-2004, 06:09 AM
Thanks for the good report

Thank you so much for the good news about your recovery, it is very encouraging. I'm scheduled for Monday, July 26. Thanks again!
Unread 07-24-2004, 06:16 AM
3 days post TAH

So you all think we're telling you stories when we say "the waiting is the worst part?"

At almost 11 months post op, I feel better than I've felt in years!!! I was careful not to overdo things and followed the doctor's instructions as to what I was and wasn't allowed to do. I also got a lot of information from my Sisters on this site as to "normal" and "call doctor" issues. I took to heart the statement "You only have one chance to heal right."

Good healing to all of you!!
s
Cat
Unread 07-24-2004, 08:15 AM
3 days post TAH

Yes, I think you're right---the waiting apparently was the worst part!!

Today is day 4 post and I feel even better than yesterday---this has been amazing!!

The ONLY issues has been that my "bowels are still sleeping"!! I think today will be time for laxative action!!

Aside from that I truly feel terrific!

Good luck Karly and Bonnie----you'll do wonderfully!!!

Robin
Unread 07-24-2004, 09:52 AM
3 days post TAH

Robin,

I am so happy to hear that you feel so well! I did well also and am now 2.5 weeks post op and feel better than I have in years! No pain except for the healing incision and my ENERGY is coming back after those icky bouts of anemia. YAY!!!!

The only problem for me, like you, was all of the gas and bowel problems after surgery. This is what made me feel awful. It took five days for that to resolve, and after mega-walking and mega-water, I finally took a laxative. In hindsight, I would have taken a laxative right away in the hospital, after the re-initiation of solid foods!

I did not take any pain meds after my release from the hospital except for a few x-strength Tylenol. Oh, and I agree, laughing vs. coughing really, really hurt in the first week, and my silly husband wasn't helping.....kept playing comedies on tv....one day I laughed so hard, I started to cry because it hurt so bad that I got scared....LOL!!! That sick husband of mine started laughing so hard, he started crying....you had to be there....Gosh, I love him.....Hahahahaha......

Take care,

Jackie
Unread 07-24-2004, 08:03 PM
3 days post TAH

Hey Jackie

I think you're so right--- I wish I has also taken the laxative in the hospital!

Glad your recovery also sounds great and without too much difficulty!!

Keep up your strength and the good feelings!!

Robin
Unread 07-24-2004, 08:24 PM
So Reassuring!!

Hi Robin,

Thank you for posting your 3 day post-op experience. I'm having my VH next Thursday, and I've been a little scared. Ok, a lot scared. Anyway, I'm 50, and I was afraid that I would take a long time to heal due to my age. I feel a lot better now that I've read your post.

Merlynne

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register