Scheduled LSH Multiple Medical issues now requiring LSH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Multiple Medical issues now requiring LSH Multiple Medical issues now requiring LSH

Unread 06-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Multiple Medical issues now requiring LSH

Hey everyone...I am new to this group and have been reading through a lot of the threads but was not able to find some of this info.

I will be having a LSH on June 16th.

After several years of misdiagnoses and undertreatment I had to have a Total Thyroidectomy in 2007 for Hashimotos Thyroiditis (gaining about 60 pds over 1-2 year period) but felt so much better afterwards. As a side effect my problems with my cyle and anemia lightened up as well, but over the last year and a half it all has worsened again.

After a failed attempt at an Endemetrial ablation and a D&C I went for a second opinion (2 days ago) about a hysterectomy. I have decided that I to proceed with the procedure. In fact, I like this doc so much that he is the doctor doing the precedure. I feel that I have gone from doctor to doctor for this problem but no one seemed able or willing to help me until now. Maybe an insurance issue that I now have lined out. It wasn't this difficult to get treated with my Thyroid issues which is usually very hard to get diagnosed and treated.

I have had to have 2 blood transfusions over the last year and judging from my last blood work this week I am looking at another one soon. My cycles are so bad I go through about 28-30 pads in a 24 hour period...I'm sorry if this is TMI. I have researched having a hysterectomy but was really worried about the surgery itself as well as the recuperation time...I am starting a new job in a few weeks as a manager of a new salon and really need to work. My husband and I both lost our jobs this spring and while he is working we need both salaries.

I think my questions are...
Has anyone else gone through Thyroid surgery and then had a hysterectomy?

What about weight gain?
I have not been able to exercise for the last 8mths to a year due to the anemia problems. Wondering if...when I can exercise will I even be able to lose weight.

Keeping ovaries vs removing? I have a family history of Ovarian Cancer and cystic ovaries(which are painful)

Recovery time? Is it true for any of you that LSH recovery time is fairly quick under normal circumstances.

I guess I am really freaking out now and need to to just talk about it and am afraid that I am wearing my family out, though they have never complained.

I am not sure if this is in the correct format and is definitely lengthy..for which I apologize. But thanks in advance for any input. It is greatly appreciated.

SuzieQTT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2009, 07:38 PM
Re: Multiple Medical issues now requiring LSH

Welcome. I have Hashimotos but still have my thyroid. I take synthroid for it. I gained about 30 pounds in the couple of years. Most of the weight gain was before I was diagnosed. I started an exercise program at the Y in January this year. I lost some weight but was definately in better shape. I felt like I bounced back rather quickly from my surgery. I do still get very tired at four weeks post op. I have lost about four to five pounds since my surgery and about six pounds in the weeks before. I had an ablation in Noverber that only work for about three months. Had very light bleeding just about that whole time. I was bleeding a lot but it sounds like you were more than me. I am so glad I had the hysterectomy.
Unread 06-05-2009, 07:42 PM

Suzie

Wow, you have gone through a lot!

I had an LSH in September of 2007. I had not complained about my periods until July of that year. They had always been heavy and I had days when leaving home was a challenge, but in 2007, I had (at least) spotting for 20 out of 28 days.

Anyway, for me, recovery was a breeze. I had surgery at 9AM and woke up in recovery at 11AM. I was in my room by noon and then off for a CAT scan as they saw something on my liver....turned out to be a benign cyst. I was eating a cheese and fruit plate at 3PM and up and walking (and using the bathroom) at 4PM. From that time on, there was no stopping me. I was up and walking as I felt the need...drank more water than the nurse was used to (I typically drink a gallon of water a day, so I threw her off).

Once home, on day two, I took it easy for the first three days. I did not leave my bedroom. My bedroom is on the 3rd floor of my house. It is large with a large master bath, so I was quite comfy. My daughter stayed with me for the first three nights and brought breakfast to me. My mother showed up each day with lunch and dinner. Trust me, my Princess tiara was sparkling.

I took a lot more time off than I intended to. But then, my lifestyle is different than many. My office is my car. I decided that being out, driving 125 miles a day, post-op was not a good thing. So. thankfully, my accounts were great at ordering via phone.

If I had been working in an office, I would have felt comfortable going back the second week, perhaps the third.

Bottomline, IF your employer allows you to be off for (fill in the time frame) with pay, DO IT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2009, 07:51 PM

Also curious...I thought I was totally losing my mind...Did anyone else feel the same?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register