Big Fibroid next to kidney 04Feb surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Big Fibroid next to kidney 04Feb surgery Big Fibroid next to kidney 04Feb surgery

Unread 01-03-2008, 07:57 AM
Big Fibroid next to kidney 04Feb surgery

Hello ladies,
This my first time writing. I really hope that someone out there can answer some of my questions. My surgery is set for 04 Feb 08. I've been putting it off for about 18 months. I've been luckly my broids haven't giving me any pain or bleeding badly. The one is about as big as a large lemon or medium orange, it's on the uterus wall, but it's laying on my kidney. I giving birth the natural way. I'm so afraid of going under the knife and beening knock out for a long period of time 45min to a hour sounds long to me. Can someone please tell me something to get over this fear! before I tell the doctor to wait another 6 months. Thank you for this forum to express my feelings & fears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 08:48 AM

Hi there, and welcome! It's natural to feel nervous about the surgery. The idea of the anesthetic was also my least favourite part of the whole thing. As I kept reminding myself before surgery, these are trained professionals and they do hundreds of surgeries each year. The risk of complications due to anesthetic these days is very, very low. So try not to worry too much. Before you know it, you will find yourself waking up in recovery with relief washing over you, knowing it is all a thing of the past. Best wishes on your upcoming procedure.

big hugs.
Unread 01-03-2008, 09:43 AM

It's perfectly natural to be afraid, especially of being under anesthesia. It helped me to know that my surgeons have done this procedure hundreds of times, and they knew exactly what to do and I was in good hands. When it came time for anesthesia, I was actually out before I even knew it. I remember the last thing I did was turn to the doctor and say, oh, you gave me that stuff already! and then I was in my hospital room after it was all over. Literally it was like I closed my eyes for one second and it was done!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulby brn sgr
Hello ladies,
This my first time writing. I really hope that someone out there can answer some of my questions. My surgery is set for 04 Feb 08. I've been putting it off for about 18 months. I've been luckly my broids haven't giving me any pain or bleeding badly. The one is about as big as a large lemon or medium orange, it's on the uterus wall, but it's laying on my kidney. I giving birth the natural way. I'm so afraid of going under the knife and beening knock out for a long period of time 45min to a hour sounds long to me. Can someone please tell me something to get over this fear! before I tell the doctor to wait another 6 months. Thank you for this forum to express my feelings & fears!
Hi

Is surgery your only option? Have you had more than one opinion?

If surgery is your only option and you have had more than one medical opinion, I can tell you that delaying things further is not the best way to go. That's what I did for over a year and a half. I did everything to avoid surgery until it finally became clear that I couldn't avoid it any longer. When I look back at what I went thru (Lupron shots, not bleeding, bleeding heavily, looking quite pregnant, etc - plus going thru the emotional ringer of thinking surgery could be avoided, then realizing it couldn't - back and forth), I can see that all I was doing was delaying the what needed to be done because I was afraid. Now that I've had surgery, at least I don't have to worry as to whether the fibroid is going to shrink enough to avoid surgery (mine just was not going to go away, even with menopause, that was obvious).

So..my suggestion would be to make sure all other options to surgery have been explored, get an 2nd (or 3rd) opinion if you haven't done so already. And, if it is really clear that surgery is your only option, it is better to do it and get it over with. The worst part is the waiting and all the fear stuff we put ourselves through. The hospital/surgery part was actually the easiest part! The surgical team where I was were really kind, made things very "not scary" and your pain will be controlled. You will be fine!

Mariah

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register