Need to defend decision to have hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Need to defend decision to have hysterectomy Need to defend decision to have hysterectomy

Unread 04-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Need to defend decision to have hysterectomy

Sisters, does it happen to you that other women question your decision to go for a hysterectomy due to a very large fibroid? Several times now I had to defend myself. Arguments range from "There are alternatives" to "The sides effects will be worse". I feel a bit annoyed by this. It wasn't an easy decision for me and for 5 years I had suffered in silence and tried so many alternatives. I feel a bit tired of educating others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2016, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eente View Post
Sisters, does it happen to you that other women question your decision to go for a hysterectomy due to a very large fibroid? Several times now I had to defend myself. Arguments range from "There are alternatives" to "The sides effects will be worse". I feel a bit annoyed by this. It wasn't an easy decision for me and for 5 years I had suffered in silence and tried so many alternatives. I feel a bit tired of educating others.
They don't know what you're going thru. The only ones who can are the ones with a large fibroid (like me) whose decision was what was best for us. I was lucky to have a handful of friends who went thru the same as me, and got wonderful support.
You shouldn't have to justify your decision to anyone. It's your body. You are the one who knows what's best for you.
Unread 04-13-2016, 01:27 PM
Re: Need to defend myself

Simply put it that this was your best option after all else failed.
Unless they ask for education, dont bother with it. They will not appreciate it if they are questioning you to begin with.

Or you say, do you have fibroids? If so what did you do that helped because i tried everything that would be good for me. When they say i have never had one then respond with oh i see and change the subject.
Some women want to be on a high horse till they in fact het called out on their bull.
If they in fact have had a fibroid, tell them im glad that worked for you.

)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-13-2016, 03:50 PM

You don't have to justify your decision to have a hysterectomy to anyone.

Anybody who has had a hysterectomy knows that it is major surgery with a long recovery - it is not undertaken lightly.

Unread 04-13-2016, 04:27 PM

No. I flatly refused to defend myself.

"Are you my doctor? Then I don't really care to hear your advice or opinion."

I don't give a hoot if they think I'm rude. They are the rude ones, pretending to know my experience and what's best for me.

People like that can kiss my behind!
Unread 04-13-2016, 04:31 PM

Yes, I felt that way toward my niece but my mind was made up. Still, it bugged me that she wasn't being supportive. After that conversation, I felt deflated and angry. So, I just focused on people that were with me and not against me.

I'm sorry that you are having to deal with that.
Unread 04-13-2016, 06:20 PM

That is a lousy position to be put in! Say the conversation does go their way, do they expect you to say "yes, I see your point, let's go get that uterus put back in!" (Assuming we're talking after hysteroctomy). If it is before the procedure simply respond something to the affect of "I've discussed the options with my doctor/surgeon and this is what we believe to be the best option for my situation. Thank you for your concern, but your opinion in not needed to make this informed decision".

Remember, opinions are like buttholes, everyone has one.

Huggs
Unread 04-14-2016, 05:08 AM
Re: Need to defend decision to have hysterectomy

The best way to get around this is to be very careful about who you tell. Everyone doesn't need to know. I told only my husband, one of my sisters and one friend. Didn't even tell my parents until I was home from the hospital. If you don't open a discussion, people can't give you "advice".

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register