what to bring to hospital | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what to bring to hospital what to bring to hospital

Unread 06-30-2004, 05:35 AM
what to bring to hospital

2 more days. trying to figure out what to bring with me. The hospital said just wear comfortable clothes. DUH!
What about nightgown? Will it get dirty? I hate the backless gowns and need a bra-top to sleep in or else my boobs hurt (a bit on the big side). Also, can I bring my favorite pillow? How about books on tape? Will I be alert enough to listen to my books on tape? Toiletries? How about roommates? Do they try to put women with similar situations in the same room?

Thanks so much,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2004, 06:08 AM

I brought my own pillow.

I'm not sure about wearing a bra & PJ's because you'll probably have in IV (which will be put in before surgery while you're wearing a hospital gown). You may not be able to get the bra or PJ's on/off.

I had a roommate that was in her 70's who had a liver transplant. They don't try to "match" you with anyone around here.

Personally, I slept on & off for my stay at the castle because of the pain drugs - I did bring a book but never opened it.

I brought toothpaste, toothbursh, hairbrush, and some other suff - never used any of it. The hospital gave me stuff to brush my teeth. I was so drugged most of the time that the only time I got out of bed was to take my walk around the halls & to leave the hospital - I didn't care what I looked like at that point!
Unread 06-30-2004, 06:10 AM

Hi Matrose,

First, I want to say best wishes to you on your upcoming surgery.

I don't know what procedure you are having done. I had a TAH and the only thing I am glad I took with me was my slippers. My husband pushed me to take them and I am glad. In the middle of the night when I had to run to the bathroom--all I had to do was slip into them. I brought reading material, but didn't read anything. And on several occassions I was happy for the opening in the back of the hospital gound. I would pack light.

To a speedy recovery!!

Think happy dreams.......z...z...z..z...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2004, 06:12 AM

Hello there.

Although I am in the UK may make a couple of suggestions (we are not allowed to take any electrical equipment into the hospitals here but I assume that you can in US).

I wore my own nighty after three days. One thing I forgot to pack was a wash flannel and sanitary pads! Also wet wipes are handy to keep by the bedside so that you can freshen your face.

I think somewhere there is a list here with suggestions but I cannot remember where!

Take care
Looby

Unread 06-30-2004, 06:37 AM

Hi there. Had a TAH - bikini incision - June 9. I brought comfy t-shirts, XL undies and my husband's bath robe (to wear after I got rid of the IV). Slippers are also a must. Do bring your own pillow. I brought my foam pillow and a pillow for under my legs when in bed and was very glad that I did. I was asked to bring pads but personally didn't need them. My surgery went well and I was awake the 3 days I was in the hospital. Surgery was on Wed and I left Sat about noon. I was in the OBgyn/Maternity ward and my room mate had same surgery on same day. I was lucky to have her in my room. She and I encouraged each other to walk and it was nice to have someone to talk to. I did read (light reading) quite a bit and stayed out of bed as much as possible. I brought an MP3 player with me but didn't feel like listening to music. I brought my own toiletries and was able to shower. I also strongly advise buying a bed wedge for when you get home. I use it to sleep at night and prop it on my couch during the day for extra support. It's the best expense I ever made!!! Good luck with your surgery

mich
Unread 06-30-2004, 06:41 AM

Hello Future Princess,

On my venture to the castle:

I packed two pairs of my old granny panties (didn't wear them because of cath and only needed one to wear home, they are so nice and loose)

I took my own toothbrush and paste. (didn't need them either, the hospital gave those in the plastic washtub)

I took shampoo. (again, didn't need, hospital provided)

I took loose nightgown. (didn't use, afraid of bleeding or spotting so I just wore the hospital gown. They put me on a floor with nothing but women)

I took a couple of magazines. (Now those I used, however I really didn't read much, such wonderful drugs that I slept alot, but nice to have nearby)

Don't forget your brush/comb.

Definitely slippers. (believe it or not the hospital even provided those. The little socks with the non-skid bottom. Brought them home)

Take something comfortable to wear home.

Depending on your surg, and how long you will be in hospital, you really won't need much.

By all means, take your own pillow. I did. Those little rubber pillows were so uncomfortable.

Hope all goes well, and keep us posted.
Unread 06-30-2004, 06:57 AM

Hi there matrose
I took lots of stuff to the castle, but didn't use most of it.

As for the roommate situation....first night I had the room to myself (I was soooo thankful because the nurse pampered me). Around noon the next day, a room mate was wheeled in, and she too had a hyst, but was much older than I. We were pleasant to each other, but I'm not much of a "people person", so we kept the curtain between us drawn. I did give her my magazines to read though, after I was done with them.

If you go up to the drop-down box that says "more hystersisters", and click on it, scroll down to Pre-op hints, and in there, you should find a list of stuff to take to the castle.

Specifically....I took flipflops (instead of slippers), but my feet were so SWOLLEN, I couldn't get them on (my slippers wouldn't have fit either)....so I just wore socks. I always had socks on...in bed, and walking the halls. My feet get cold easy.

I took a pair of pj's and wore them on day 3 after my iv was out and I had a shower (OH what a glorious feeling). They didn't get dirty because the nurses gave me those wonderful disposable mesh panty things, and pads. You SHOULD consider taking a pair or 2 of LARGE panties. I swelled up so much, I wore the panties from when I was 50 lbs heavier (and they fit eeeeek). To the castle, I wore pyjama bottoms and a t-shirt.

Sweetie, don't worry about a bra. I am large chested, and to be honest I couldn't have cared less. Also, you're too sore to possibly try to do one up. Pain meds tend to make you not care bout lots of stuff

favorite pillow....call the castle....may or may not allow. I did bring my hystersisters tummy pillow which the nurses thought was adorable.

books on tape....you won't be able to concentrate (pain meds, and sleep). Bring a magazine or two. That's all I could handle.

Bring....lotion (body and face), toothbrush/paste, brush, lip balm (non-petroleum based), candy or losenges for dry throat, hand sanitizer gel (nice to have clean hands without getting up to wash). HAIR elastic (if hair is long)....I brought my own shampoo/conditioner/ mousse because I have insanely curly hair.

You may want to bring your own pads....the ones at the castle were the super long belted kind.

I hope this helps hun
Good luck with your surgery

Northlights
Unread 06-30-2004, 07:50 AM

Best wishes. I agree with what the other ladies are saying here - you won't need much.
Your own pillow
Lip balm (non petroleum)
lotion
toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, soap (my hopsital didn't provide)
hairbrush
slippers

By the time you fell well enough to care what you look like or need to be entertained you will be ready to go home.

Good Luck.

Kelly
Unread 07-01-2004, 06:13 AM

Here's what I used:

My own new night gown. Very over sized Couldn't put it on until I had my IV and Cath taken out.

Slippers to walk the floor and also sock my feet are always cold

Toothpaste and toothbrush

Hair brush (I looked really ruff the day after and I was moving around)

Brought undie but used the hospitals(they were mesh and very comfy). I also used another pad and stuck it to the panties so the liner part of the pad wound be on my incision (bikini cut) nurse thought I was crazy, but she said it was a good idea to keep it from rubbing the tape

Wore my flip flops to the castle, wore them home.

Clothes wise I took DH boxers (he's a big guy 225lbs) and a extra extra larger T-shirt to wear home and a clean bra

Body spray (for my room, don't like the way hospital smell), deodrant.

Pads and panty liners brought them but didn't use them castle gave me some to use.

Small pillow please don't forget it ladies. I used it alot, walking the halls, going to the bathroom,getting up a down. MY pillow went everywhere that I went even when I got home. I used it alot for about 2 1/2 week at home esp when I need to go to the bathroom (BM's esp.)

I was pretty much very alert the day after my surgery, I didn't really sleep much.

Hope this helps

Jane
7 weeks post op
ding dong aunt flo is dead
the wicked aunt flo the wicked aunt flo
ding dong the wicked aunt flo is dead!!
Unread 07-01-2004, 06:49 AM
keep it simple

I too had the list of what to take from this site. It may just keep you busy so you feel like you have some control

I didn't need anything I brought except lip balm.
The hosp put on those slipper socks before surgery and I wore them when I walked the halls. I did wear my robe but the hospital gowns wrapped around so your bum wouldn't show.
I put on make-up and combed my hair to go home.
I asked them for clean mesh panties that I put on to wear home.
I wore the clothes home that I wore in, but didn't button the top button on the capris.

So here is what I used:
lip balm
hair pick make-up, hair spray
Cd player and two CD's (I took tons but didn't use them)
robe
clothes to go home in

I was only in for two days so didn't wash my hair-it was cut and colored the day before surgery so it was fine-and who cared!
Best wishes to you, you will do fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register