What Do You Think? Home Same Day!!! - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What Do You Think? Home Same Day!!! What Do You Think? Home Same Day!!!

Unread 09-13-2006, 07:39 PM
What Do You Think? Home Same Day!!!

Eggbert, I know you and I are probably wondering what in the sam hill to think. But let's keep focused on one day at a time! I just read a post from someone (sorry, can't recall who at the moment) who had a TAH Monday and is home doing pretty good today. So that's refreshing and encouraging.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-13-2006, 09:34 PM

Hi Eggbert!

While I did not have the TVH nor did I get to go home quickly after my hyst, I still remember when my aunt had her hyst about 13 yrs ago. She was the first person any of us had ever heard of having a TVH as day surgery, going home the same day. She did fine and is still in good health today. And she didn't have the option of a home health nurse.

I hope this offers you some encouragement and that all goes well for you! Many best wishes to you!
Unread 09-13-2006, 11:59 PM

Wow, that sounds a bit too soon to me. I'm having a LSH and I still have to stay overnight.

I too look forward to your update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2006, 06:19 AM

Weiser thank you very much for your encouraging words. It really helps a lot! I think I will be O.K. I will have a lot of support at home and the comfort of my own bed. My kids said they too will help take care of me. My DD said she will make toast any time I want and my DS said he will get my water. That made me cry. I will also have my own prescriptions I can take.This is standard practice for my Dr and all his TVH patients do really well. But most of all I trust him. I'll keep everyone posted and big 's to you all!
Keep Smiling
Edie
Unread 09-14-2006, 08:09 AM

Hi, I am in Ontario as well.
4 months ago, when I had an Endemetrial Ablation, one of the girls in the recovery room had a hysterectomy and was being sent home the same day as well.
Jumpin Johanna - I was not ready to go home after an Ablation, I can't imagine going home after a hysterectomy the same day.
I am having a LAVH and have not had my preop apt yet so I don't know if I am beign admitted or not - Ohhhhh I sure hope I am. I live in the country, near an hour away from the hospital and noone will be home during the day for the first two days after surgery. Do you think that will matter on their decision to send you home or not?
I guess my question is,,,, did you have a choice??? Or is that just the way they are doing it now because of the health care system being so low on resources?
Yikes,,,, I sure hope all goes well for you.
Where in Ontario are you?
Unread 09-14-2006, 09:22 AM

I'm having a TAH on the 22nd. There is NO WAY I'm leaving that hospital before my time. My poor husband would freak out.

I'm told I will be in 2-3 days.

Best wishes to you in your upcoming surgery!
Unread 09-14-2006, 10:02 AM

CindyGrinz I live in Ingleside about 20 minutes from Cornwall. About 1500 people live in Ingleside. I will be having my surgery in Winchester. If you are having a TAH they keep you in the hospital because you have external stiches. Yes I believe it does make a difference that you don't have anyone with you. I was asked specifically if someone will be with me for AT LEAST 36 hours. You should also mention this at your pre-op.
Keep Smiling
Edie
Unread 09-14-2006, 12:37 PM

I had TVH first thing on a Monday morning, and was home in time for lunch on Tuesday. A nurse was sent to the house to check on me Wednesday.

I didn't mind being at home, as it was much more restful (hospitals are noisy!), and the food was better

Unread 09-14-2006, 06:26 PM

I had my LAVH/BSO with lymphadectomy and was home 25 hours after I was wheeled into the OR. It was great to get home to my comfortable bed and my DH was there to help.

Best wishes and s.......Wendy
Unread 09-14-2006, 07:49 PM

Hi (((Edie))) Would you believe I actually know where Ingleside is: beautiful area

I had a TVH with posterior repairs in December 2000 and actually got to stay in the castle for 5 days I know that it was mostly due to the fact that I was originally scheduled for a TAH (my hospital stay was already booked ) and because I ended up loosing a lot of blood (that fibroid was even larger than my doctor had expected ). While I can't imagine going home the same day, as I was really having a hard time with the effects of the anesthesia and from the anemia, I must admit that the pain was much less than expected

I remember when my MIL had her mastectomy, in 1999, and the doctor wanted to send her home the next day: we advocated for her and, in the end, the doctors agreed to keep in the castle for an additional 3 days Sometimes it pays to ask

One thing to keep in mind is that studies show that we tend to recover better and faster in our home surroundings and this may be why your doctor prefers to send his TVH patients home as soon as possible. And from MIL's experience with homecare, they're simply awesome: they'll get you the pain meds as soon as you need it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register