Cervix/vaginal pain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cervix/vaginal pain Cervix/vaginal pain

Unread 11-24-2002, 03:52 PM
Cervix/vaginal pain

During my most recent physical exam (which was *very* thorough), one of my pain hotspots was my cervix -- MD was intentionally pushing against it, and I was ready to pass out. Not a sharp, knife-like pain, but this incredibly deep ache that I felt all the way to the core of my body. Visually, everything there looks nice and healthy, and all my paps have come back normal. MD didn't really know why that would hurt me so much, but I finally understood why sex has been painful for me. Even having the speculum inside was driving me nuts, and when it was removed, I felt like I had been rubbed raw for at least a day afterwards. MD was not uncaring or "abusive" with the exam, but he did know exactly where to poke and push in order to determine source of pain. Afterwards, I realized that I've probably felt the same thing during other physical exams, but could never isolate the source of the discomfort.

Previous GYN had done a CA-125 test to rule out cancer for my growing ovarian cyst, and that came back ok. I'm assuming if I had anything like cervical cancer it would have shown up on that test, too (?).

So, does anyone have any input about what could be going on with my cervix? MD is pretty sure adeno is my problem, because the killer pain seems to be coming from my uterus (and lower back). Ultrasounds (pelvic & abdominal) have not shown anything else wrong except for the cyst.

P.S. I've never given birth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2002, 04:14 PM
if I am not mistaken, adeno can grow in the cervix

which is just the lower part of the uterus, same muscular tissue tho. MRI can detect adeno but it won't show up on ultrasound.

CA125 test is good to do but there is a tendency to get false negatives and false positives. It isn't foolproof, so I have read. I imagine there will be biopsies done of your ovaries if you are keeping them and biopsy is far more conclusive.
Unread 11-24-2002, 09:24 PM
Cervix/vaginal pain

My cervix was always ouchy. Pap smears where awful. When I was about 15 a gyn tried to do a dilation (the "D" part of a D&C) on me, awake, with no local. (It was an outdated and quackish way of trying to reduce my terrible cramps...) I almost passed out. He later admitted me to a hospital and did it under a general.

I don't know if this has anything to do with anything, but I had what's called "cockscomb cervix" - little fingery protrusions. It's often caused by DES, but my mom swears she never took that.

I also have never had any kids.

As far as I was concerned, it was normal for the cervix to be painful, and I was mystified by the women who "wanted to keep their cervix". Couldn't be happier that mine is gone.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register