When did you return to work after LAVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When did you return to work after LAVH? When did you return to work after LAVH?

Unread 09-22-2008, 05:57 AM
When did you return to work after LAVH?

Hi Sisters,

I am curious about how you handled returning to work after a LAVH. Mine was on 9-11.

I am very lucky to have short term disability that pays for my time off, up to 6 weeks. I have been approved for a 6 week disability leave from 9-11 to 10-22.

My job is a desk job, and my employer is very flexible. I was hoping to work from home beginning in October. I see my doc tomorrow. So, I will discuss it with her. I think the biggest issue is just the tiredness. I thought I would be ok to go back full time working from home starting Oct 1, but now I am thinking maybe part time.

Just wondering what all of you ladies did or plan to do!

TIA!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2008, 10:27 AM

Hi Cindy

I know that I had a different surgery to you but that tiredness is awful!

I plan on taking 8 weeks off, working from home part time my first week back and then 3 days part time in the office & 2 days from home in week 2, and we will see where we go from there.

I have a VERY understanding boss who just wants me back fit and well so that I can manage the high pressure our small team works under. I am also lucky that the company has an excellent sick pay policy and I would be covered for 6 months on full pay if necessary!

If you can stay off for the full 6 weeks and then start off slowly and build up I would take full advantage. It would be awful to throw yourself straight back in and then find that it is difficult to manage.

Take care, heal safely and slowly

Katy
Unread 09-22-2008, 02:36 PM

Hi JuniorFan, I had the Davinci method 9/3 and am taking the full 6 weeks off, eventho I don't get paid for it. My job involves standing most of the time, pushing heavy med carts and occasional lifting of people. I pushed a shopping cart 16 days post op and felt awful afterwards, eventho I didn't notice at the time.

It pays to be careful. Take the full 4 weeks off for sure, then maybe go part time for the next 2 weeks. Appreciate the paid time at home. Once you start up again, it's gone!
Happy healing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2008, 09:59 AM

Hi Cindy,
I did my LAVH on 9/4/08 and I came back to work yesterday (9/22/08).
Am I tired? HECK YES!!! But I had made arrangements with my work to be very part-time this week so when I disappeared at noon yesterday they were not surprised. My job is not stressful or strenuous so my activity is very minimal which is why I made the decision to come back so soon.
I think the boredom at home would have driven me over the edge if I stayed home any longer.
But listen to your body, it will tell you what it needed and dont let anyone push you too fast.
I hope you a very speedy recovery...
Hugs!

PJ
Unread 09-23-2008, 04:26 PM

Thanks so much ladies for sharing your experiences! I saw my doc today for a two week post op visit. She encouraged me to take advantage of the full six weeks, but she did ok returning to work at home on a part time basis beginning at three weeks post op. I think that will be doable for me. I can at least keep up with my email and current assignments for a few hours per day. I spoke with my boss today, and he was very supportive. He told me to work whenever I wanted, that I did not even have to keep regular hours! Best of luck to all of you!
Unread 09-24-2008, 10:06 AM

I had my LAVH on Aug 29 and won't be returning to work until Oct 13. I'm glad for the time off, even though it's not paid. I feel great in the morning, but by dinner time, I'm ready for bed. I only work part time but I'm on my feet most of the time and I work with kids so it won't be easy going back. I have a great boss that will let me take more time off if I need it.
Just take it easy and don't be in a rush.
Unread 09-24-2008, 11:29 AM

Hi Juniorfan,

I had my LAVH 07/25/08 and had to go back to a full time job 09/08/08 (6 weeks). What I did at home to prepare myself is waking up early (so your body can get back into that rythim), during the day I would take 1/2 hour nap; and also I would walk. What helped me as well from the swelly belly was by using a girdle. What a difference! I wear it everyday and it helps with the small scar and the swelling. I hope this helps. I also have a desk job so I know how that feels. When I started working, I would come home tired. So what helps me is going to bed early and not try to be superwoman till my body got use to it.
Unread 09-24-2008, 12:53 PM

I have my lavh on 7/29 and my dr did not release me for work until this week which is 8 weeks post op. Why I don't know but oh well I enjoyed all the time off.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register