Period after hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Period after hysterectomy Period after hysterectomy

Unread 07-29-2008, 05:24 AM
Period after hysterectomy

Has anyone experienced a period or mini period after hysterectomy? I kept my ovaries and have "a little bit of cervix" according to the doctor. I kept asking about periods after hysterectomy and he kept saying I won't get one. I just had my daVinci hyster on July 2 and am now spotting a little and it is the time I would have a period. I see the doctor next week and will tell him. If any of you have gotten a period after hyster, does the doctor cauterize the cervix or do we just have to deal with it? Thanks for your answers. Much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2008, 06:55 AM

It is less likely to be a period than to be something like your stitches dissolving or you having pulled something by doing too much. To have a period you need uterine tissues; they're the ones that swell with blood and then slough off, creating the blood flow. Your cervix just keeps your uterus closed - it doesn't have anything to do with periods. Now if you had a problem that caused uterine tissue to grow on your cervix it *might* be possible, but I think it would be a stretch.

Definitely talk to your doc if you're concerned, though, and if the flow soaks more than one pad per hour call him immediately.
Unread 07-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Hi

I had a LSH on Jan14 and yes I have been having what thedoc called mini periods, only about 3 since the hyst. My doc used silver nytrate on the cervics after my 2nd mini period and and I did not see any discharge after that treatment for about 2 months but just 2 days ago there was some slight staining when i wiped. My doc said that the cervics can hold some menstral cells that can shead of blood monthly but the doc can treat your cervics with silver nytrate and that will eventually work some people need more than one treatment like me. Denise.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-29-2008, 07:57 AM

The problem you are experiencing is probably because your stitches are healing. The only way you would experience a mini period is if any uterus tissue was left behind on your cervix since your uterus sits on top of the cervix. It is a small percentage and very rare that you would experience this, but it does happen. But I wouldn't worry about it, you are in the time frame that your stitches are starting to heal and the discharge you are experincing should be from that. I am having slight pinkish discharge also off and on and I know it is from the cervix healing and was expecting it from the good info. that I have gotten on thise from my sisters. Just watch for bright red heavy flow that soaks a pad in an hour. If you experience that call the Dr. or head to the ER. Hope this has helped.
Unread 07-29-2008, 09:00 AM

its probably just spotting from your surgery but if you did keep your cervix and your ovaries, you can get a mini period. they are pretty rare but they can happen. ask your dr if he cauterized your cervix during surgery, that minimizes the chances of getting one.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register