Heavy Lifting After 6 Weeks - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Heavy Lifting After 6 Weeks Heavy Lifting After 6 Weeks

Unread 05-25-2006, 08:29 AM
Heavy Lifting After 6 Weeks

well I hate to be the one to say it but dont lift anything heavy!!!! I did 6 months out and now here I sit with an incisional hernia not adhesions....well that can also be an issue who knows until they look but thus far I am in pain with this bulge the size of my husbands fist sticking out my belly...I had a TAH last november and was doing awesome until last week this just appeared out of nowhere....so do take it easy....this is something no one warned me about and I feel I should warn all of you.....It can be serious...at this point I dont know how bad it is I go today to meet with a surgeon and I will keep you posted on what I find out....but as in your lifting question please be careful yes adhesions happen but hernias from the incision itself is also a big concern Kat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2006, 08:36 AM

I sit at a desk all day, so I can't relate to heavy lifting, the stapler or my coffee cup are about as heavy as I get at work.

Home, different story, but I ask my DBF to carry my bags of potting soil, or to move my planters around. I don't even lift the dog (65lbs) into the tub for bath time...I make the dog get in himself, and that is not an easy task. How you coax a 65lb beast into a tub full of water, when he KNOWS as soon as he hears the water running he is going to get a bath?

anyway, don't lift it if you feel like it "might" be too heavy when you are looking at it. The less damage we do, the better off we are.

Hugs. T
Unread 05-25-2006, 10:44 AM

It has been 6 months for me. I'm careful about what I lift, and for the first time I am able to carry my groceries in by myself without hurting later. I just carry less at a time. If I bend too many times or too fast or stretch too much I will feel it later. This recovery thing takes time. Things will slowly get better.

thinkn, thanks for sharing about your hernia. I've started to ignore the pains from doing too much. (Well, ignore to the point that I got the exhasted I'm so tired I can't lift my arms one more time feeling. Back to sleeping till 11 am when I am used to geting up at 6 am, and I hate sleeping!)
--That kind of ignoring)

I think I will have to scale back a bit. Oh, well, I can do everything I did before just less of it . Well, all but lifting. That I still can't do much of. Which gets back to the point of this thread. Please be careful.

39 Daisies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-25-2006, 11:41 AM

I'm wondering about lifting my mother's walker-on-wheels into the back of my SUV. I haven't taken her out and don't plan on it till after my 6 wk post op check up but she does have a dentist appt one week later. I don't know how much the thing weighs...maybe 10-20lbs but it's kinda awkward, folding it up, etc.

Anyone else done this sort of manoeuver?
Unread 05-25-2006, 02:05 PM

I am 11 weeks out today, and I am still not lifting much. My dr (the one on call for mine) said nothing over 20 pounds for 6 months. Ask your dr. Each one has their own ideas.
Good luck
Unread 05-25-2006, 09:25 PM

Thank You Ladies For Your Info. I Go To The Doctor Tomorrow And I Will Kepp You All Posted.
Unread 05-25-2006, 10:40 PM

Safehaven:
I had my 8-week post op yesterday. My doc told me I have NO restrictions. I asked specifically about weight, because my work requires lifting of 90 lb. for every client. He said it was no problem.

Keep in mind that everyone is different, so best to double check with your doc. Also, even though I am allowed, I may not actually be physically able after being out for 8 weeks! I guess I'll find out Tuesday when I go back.

Good luck,
Paula
Unread 05-26-2006, 04:28 PM

Hi:
I'm also a family home child care provider and my surgery was 3 and a half weeks ago. Since I my employment is child care, my doctor wants me to wait 8 weeks before re-opening my daycare, so I hired a lady to come in and operate my home daycare for me. (Had to OK it through my licensing consultant first)

Once I resume all the duties of my daycare, I plan to have steps at the changing table, and instead of picking up the children, the will walk up the steps to get changed. The 1 year old can't walk yet, so I will change her on a pad on the floor. No sanitation problems because she will be the only one using that pad. Since I'm in the house with my substitute, the children often want to sit in my lap. So, I sit in my rocker/recliner, the child stands close to my knees and leans up against me while I flip the handle to lift the foot of the rocker/recliner. This lifts the child up and s/he just crawls the rest of the way up to my lap. I have to be careful that little elbows and knees don't hit my belly button.

When we're self employed we sometimes have to be inventive. Thankfully, I've felt great and had no pain. My only complaint, other than constant bleeding, had been exhaustion and the need for frequent naps.

Best of luck to you getting back to your job. As you know, we do have the most important job in the world so we have to be careful to remain healthy in that job.
Unread 05-29-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safehaven
Hi Ladies Hystersisters Have Been A Great Support For Me. My Question Is Has Anyone Had Any Problems Lifting After Six Weeks. I Have Been Reading About Some Women Going Back To Work At 2 And 4 Weeks Post Op , But They Have Desk Jobs. I Do Home Day Care And I Would Have To Lift Babies And I Don't Feel Like I Am Ready For That Yet. I Am 5 Weeks Post Op And I Am Still Sore. I Walk Ok But Heavy Lifting Is Still An Issue. I Go Back To The DOCTOR FORMy 4 Week Follow Up From My 2 Week Follow That Will Be 6 Weeks And I Just Don't Think That I Will Be Able To Do The Lifting.
Is This Normal? I HAD TO HIRE SOME HELP ,BUT I AM PROBABLY GOING TO KEEP HER ON FOR AT LEAST 2 MORE WEEKS. PLEASE LADIES I NEED SOME ADVICE TAH/DYSPLASIA 4/13 /06
Hi LADIES I WENT TO THE DOCTOR ON FRIDAY FOR MY 6 WEEK CHECK-UP AND SHE SAID THAT I AM HEALING VERY WELL. UNLIKE SOME OF YOU I HAD AN INTERNAL EXAM WHEN I WENT BACK AND I HAVE TO GO BACK IN 6 MONTHS FOR ANOTHER PAP BECAUSE I HAD CERVICAL DYSPLASIA, AND I HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER WEEK BEFORE WE CAN HAVE SEX. I CAN'T WAIT, I AM DOING THE COUNT DOWN UNTIL THURS.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register