Mind going crazy - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Mind going crazy Mind going crazy

Unread 03-31-2001, 05:02 AM
Mind going crazy

Hi! I understand your fear of the anethesia. That is the part of the surgery that causes me the most anxiety even though I've had general's 3 times before and woke up each time.

The biggest surgery I had in the past was a repair of a HUGE abdominal hernia (huge because I kept putting it off due to my fear of the surgery). When I discussed the fear with the surgeon he gave me the option of the epidural to do the surgery just as your doctor has. However, the option to take the general was still there as well. I didn't have to make the final choice until I spoke with the anethesia doctor right before my surgery. In the end I opted for the general but only had a few minutes to worry about it prior to the surgery.

This helped me a lot that time simply because I felt like I had some control over the procedure. I think most of our fears are rooted in being out of control. I'm sure everything will go fine for both of us!

Good luck!

Jackie

TVH 4/12/01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-31-2001, 05:43 AM
sleeeeeeeeep:-)

Hi, Some of you ladies may think I'm a little crazy, but I look forward to the general anesthesia. It will be possibly the best sleep I'll have had in a long time:-) The pain has been waking me up and is making my days pretty miserable. Pelvic pain has gotten worse and back pain so I look to the pain free future and waking up from general will be like starting my new healthy life style. I do believe that you can use visualization to help relax. For the laproscopic surgery a couple years, I pictured myself walking in the woods, spring flowers blooming, and the waters in a nearby stream flowing gently and sparkling brightly. I really almost didn't want to wake up because it was such a peaceful image:-) My doctor came into recovery room and told me I should try to wake up because I was making him and anesthesiologist look bad....lol. Please try to picture yourself healthy and feeling like your ol' self again. Best of wishes to you and be sure to let us know how everything goes. God Bless You. Love, Menancy
Unread 03-31-2001, 06:18 AM
Mind going crazy

Brenda - I had tah/bso last March...and pre-op was filled with thoughts of "what ifs".... I constantly worried about "what if something goes wrong"...my mind was racing with negative thoughts.....I never once thought "what if everything goes good and I feel great"...and that's exactly what happened. Hang in there..we'll be here with you.
Unread 03-31-2001, 08:32 AM
Thanks so much

Thanks so much to all of you, I am so happy you are all here and I'm not the only one going threw this craziness. I love all my sisters, I am here everyday reading till I am cross eyed. I do believe its being scared of the unknown. I am trying to think about how much better I will be after all the pain is gone and can have a normal relationship with my DH. He has been great. I have talked to him about my fears and he told me to think about summer coming and our upcoming vacation in July. Don't want to get too personal but we had sex the other day and it hurt so bad that I cried, he kept saying he was sorry but its not his fault. I have bad parts and they need to come out. Again Thank you all so much, I will be posting more as the time gets closer and I know I can count on my sisters to be here for me. Love each and everyone of you!!
Unread 03-31-2001, 08:51 AM
Mind going crazy

My surgery date is April 9. I should be able to report back here with some info that might be of some use before you go to the castle.

I've had an emergency D & C, gallbladder, and breast reduction (4 hours) surgeries. I've had gen. anesth. for them and had no problems at all. I'm don't know if this is of any help because when we are worried about something dire happening we are just so sure we will be the .001 percent that it happens to.

Can't recommend enough that you ask about a stress reduction class (usually just a 3 hour one) or see learn self-hypnosis. I've done both. I used the hypnosis prior to a medical procedure and it seemed to go well. I had to have the exact same procedure done 2 weeks later with no planning and no chance to prepare and I can tell you the difference in pain was night and day! In comparison, the first one went not just well but exceedingly well! So I know that these things can help.
Take Care!
Miranda
Unread 03-31-2001, 10:07 AM
Mind going crazy

OH Brenda,

Boy do I Know what you mean about your nerves and fears. My TAH BSO is sched for 4/19 and I'm obsessing.
I'm so glad I found you guys. Don't you find that you can't think about any thing else right now, but all your friends and family are tired of hearing about it already??

I try not to think about the anesthesia because for some reason when I first did I got really nervous(I've been under it three times before with no problem(that I know of)). I'm sorry that you have lost your brother but I truly believe that he will be there holding your hand for you, you will be watched over.

We were just recently given this computer by my sister, it's a hand me down and now I know it's a Godsend.
Things just seem to fall into place for a reason, I've got you guys to talk with. Sometimes "bad"things(medical problems) happen for a reason.

We will all get through this together, physically, mentally, spiritually.

I can't wait until this bleeding and pain is over. I'm 51yrs old, have been on hormones for a yr &1/2, have 2 fibroids, a cyst on my ovary, cervical stenosis. I'm having everything out and I'm fine with that.

I'm want to get so much done around the house before the surgery but my energy level is so low it's frustrating, I keep trying though because I don't want to be laying around here afterwards looking at things saying I should have done this or that. But on that note let me go do some of this or that.

Hang in there
Unread 03-31-2001, 01:03 PM
Mind going crazy

Brenda and all other LIW

The scarry thoughts running through your brains are the worst of the waiting. I feel for anyone who has lost a loved one shortly before going to the OR. I lost a sister just l6 days before my surgery. I know SHE and DALE EARNHART were at my side. The fact is, when I came out of the recovery room the first thing I asked my family was "How did Dale do?" He must have been there. He is my husbands HERO.
This whole thing is very sarry for us all, does not matter your age, I'm 55 and felt like a lost frightened kitten. This web site changed a lot for me as I hope it will you. There is tons of support and answers here for everyone of us Pre-op and post-op.
Best wishes to all LIW. It will be over before you know it and will be so glad you did it for your health and sanity.

Lolubu

TAH/BSO 3/23/01 ugly very large fibroid.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register