Did your Tummy Get Smaller after LSH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did your Tummy Get Smaller after LSH? Did your Tummy Get Smaller after LSH?

Unread 08-19-2007, 08:55 AM
Did your Tummy Get Smaller after LSH?

I always have had a flat tummy. Now that my uterus is the size of a 16 wk pregnancy the tummy is sticking out a bit.

If you had a large uterus removed, after the initial swelling,
did your tummy go flatter again?

That would sure be nice. I am having a hard time buttoning my pants.

Thanks so much dears!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2007, 09:35 AM

I don't know. My tummy is already pretty big so I doubt it will go down. I've wondering the same thing though.

I've also been wondering if the fibroids get bigger just before your period. Kind of like get big, then empty and get smaller again.
Unread 08-19-2007, 10:42 AM

i'm sure with the fibroid and uterus out, your tummy would have to get flatter, especially if it was before. mine is extremely flat but my uterus was only an 8 week size so i didnt really notice a belly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-19-2007, 11:31 AM

Hi Lisalj3,

In pre-op, I had a tendency to have to unbutton the top button on my pants and shorts due to my fibroids. Today, I do not have to.

In immediate post-op...the first 2 weeks...I did experience swelly belly. After that, I was able to get back into my work clothes.

Mary
Unread 08-19-2007, 01:16 PM

This is my largest concern (aside from the surgery going well, of course). I have a flat tummy and I don't want to gain any weight. My doctor assured me that, since we are planning on leaving the ovaries, my tummy would be swollen and seem "squishy" for a while, but would go back to normal or smaller. He swears that if the ovaries are left in and continue to work, weight gain is not an issue. He said that some women even lose weight because they did not realize how bad they really felt. Where they did not have energy to work out, etc before, they find themselves full of energy.

Here's to hopin'......
Unread 08-19-2007, 05:30 PM

i have my ovaries and have not gained any weight at all. i did work out before and after the surgery and always ate well..but no weight gain here.
Unread 08-21-2007, 04:12 PM

Well, I didn't have a LSH but a TAH/BSO instead and my tummy is smaller (in spite of post-op swelling and fact that I am ten pounds overweight) than it has been in a very long time. I had a 20 week size uterus. I don't think it matters what kind of surgery you have: if you have a huge uterus and/or fibroids I think you've got to have some diminishment of the tummy area!
Unread 08-21-2007, 05:05 PM

I agree with marisol. It doesn't matter with the surgery. Although, an LSH is less across the ab, possibly making the appearance of belly dun lap. I have lost 9 lbs, so I am right where I was prior to female issues. I don't know the size of my u, but the MRI and path report post op both said slight enlarged. I have the cm #, but don't know how to convert it. Also, if you have fluid like I did or adhesions & multiple cysts, your belly will blow out. My tummy hasn't been completely flat since my c-section in 88. It isn't hard anymore and much smaller. Now, I have to tighten it up. Right now, I am only walking, no other exercise yet. But can fit comfortably in my clothes,. where before they were very tight and after meals had to unbutton. Hope this helps.
Unread 08-23-2007, 07:08 AM

so you guys are saying if i lose my ovaries then i will most likely gain weight?that sucks i have already gained 10lbs within the last 3 months due to medication and my inability to go to the gym(because of pain.).
Unread 08-23-2007, 09:35 AM

Lisse,
Most women I know on the outside have gained weight during the 1st year after their surgery and they all kept their ovaries, but lost the cervix. I have one ovary now and my cervix and scared to death about weight gain. I still go walking and have been watching what I eat since 03. I mean, I am no health nut. But I try and stay away from white foods, sugar, flour, etc. I also do alot of water and drink diet sodas when I drink them.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register