Scheduled LSH Recalled Instruments? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recalled Instruments? Recalled Instruments?

Unread 10-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Recalled Instruments?

So I had my pre-op appointment today and the first thing my doc said was the instrument they use to do the surgery was recalled and so it is not available. He got on the phone and called someone to get another from a different manufacturer, however now I am concerned about if he can get one and why the other one was recalled! This week has been so hard and I don't know if I can go through it again if the surgery is postponed! Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2009, 10:18 PM
Re: Recalled Instruments?

I don't have specific advice per se. I can share with you that after my surgery my surgeon shared with me that he and his assistant had to use an alternative tool as the one they typically used had been recalled. I never asked why!

I would suggest talking to your doctor about your options and what he thinks is best for you. If the tool is a critical one, postponing could be in your best interest.

Unread 10-27-2009, 10:44 PM

I had the same thing happen to me on Friday - I had my pre-op appt, lab work, etc and then got a call from my doctor's office that the hospital called and canceled my surgery for Monday (10/26) because the equipment was not available. I'm wondering if it's because of this recall? I totally understand what you are going through.

Danell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2009, 01:02 AM

from what my doc told me, the part of the machine that was recalled is called the morcellator (i think it's the part that sucks stuff out - no real clue, though). apparently this piece fell off and into a patient - it's happened before, but now they are treating it as a problem since it happened again - and they are fast at work to get a replacement for it.

from what i've heard, most docs are using older equipment or setting patients up in other facilities that have machines unaffected by the recall. or postponing surgery, of course.

i'm not scheduled til mid-december, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed that things blow over by then!
Unread 10-28-2009, 03:10 AM

This piece was recalled on Friday October 9th. I opted to keep my surgery for the following tuesday and went the vaginal route. I have anxiety issues so rescheduling was not an option for me. Anyway, there is a piece that can fall into the patient that may not be noticed my the surgeons and there was a mandatory recall with instructions to not use even the ones on hand. Older equipment, and equipment from other manufacturers should be safe. Your doctor wont operate with anything that he isnt confident in. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SURGERY!!!
Unread 10-28-2009, 11:46 AM

My doc told me the same thing about the instrument being recalled. She said they will have the replacement in time for my surgery and promised that I wouldn't be the first person they use it on. Kind of makes you wonder how they pick who gets to be the guinea pig.
Unread 10-28-2009, 11:48 AM

heh, if CSI is anything to by...a pig will be. :P

very close to human flesh/innards or something.
Unread 10-29-2009, 07:59 AM

I am wondering about the "tools" being used. I had my surgery on 10/22/09 and ended up in emergency surgery on 10/24-10/25 because of an incarcerated bowel which was a result of my laproscopic hysterectomy (can you tell I am new to forums, have to learn the lingo). Anyway, after the crisis had passed, my obgyn explained that Johnson & Johnson instructs the surgeon not to suture the fascia; because it is not necessary. (She gave me much more detail, contact me if you're interested in how it works). Because the fascia was not sutured, part of my bowel was caught up in the insecision causing the hernia (not to mention horrific suffering). My obgyn said that she was upset with herself because although she has performed hundreds of this procedure she hasn't followed her "gut instinct" to suture. From now on inspite of the manufacturer's instruction she will be suturing... it can't hurt.

If you have not yet had your surgery, discuss this issue with your Dr. and if you've already had it, please pay close attention to what your body is trying to tell you. Don't just assume it's all part of the surgery.
I didn't start showing symptoms that there were complications until almost 36 hours after my intitial surgery. Everything seemed fine, I was passing gas, eating, I actually felt pretty darned good. Then all of a sudden I was really nauseated which all your literature will tell you is common/normal... antesthesia side affects; medications, etc. so I wasn't overly concerned. I called my obgyn after the nausea really kicked in and was advised to take Milk of Magnesia, Benefibre, etc. But then after vomiting over 30 times in less than a 12 hour period I decided something "just ain't right"! Thank goodness I didn't wait or worry about bothering my Dr. on a Sat. evening. Got me to the ER and in surgery, pronto. I was told that if I had waited much longer, they would have had to cut my intestine and use a mesh to hold it together. The even mentioned "a bag". Could you image 47 years old, relatively healthy and having to wear a bag? SCARY!

Thankfully, I'm on the mend. I hope my experience has shed a little insight.
Unread 10-30-2009, 03:25 AM

Thanks for the info everyone! Luckily my doctor did manage to find a morcellator in time for my sugery (today)! So I am off to the castle! See everyone on the other side! Thanks!
Unread 11-13-2009, 04:30 AM

Thank you all for your comments, especially Phyl90.

I was in the same boat too--had my surgery on 10/15 (using the Mini lap technique since my instrument was also recalled 2 days before my surgery). My doc assured me it would be fine and really just a bit larger incision.

I called about 1 week post-op to talk with an advice nurse since I was feeling nauseous and in pain--told to either go see my doc or try antacids. Pain went away and got a clean bill of health to return to work. On Nov 8, about 3 weeks after surgery, I felt a little nauseous, which progressed rapidly to severe abdominal pain (I thought it was food poisoning) since the nausea started about 6 pm then the pain started at 8 pm. By midnight I was on the phone with an advice nurse who told me to get to the nearest hospital--which I did. By 1 pm I was on a gurney going for a CAT scan, by 4:30 am I was wheeled into emergency surgery. I was just discharged from the hospital last night. It ended up if I didn't have that surgery, I too could have had had my smaller intestine shortened, a mesh bag or even a more fatal outcome. I'm not trying to scare anyone here- but let me tell you, it scared me and my family.

Couldn't sleep right now but wanted to let others know that yes, there are risks to all routine surgeries. Thankfully, I was able to get to a hospital and the second surgery was diagnosed-incarcerated hernia-small bowel obstruction. I don't have all the info yet but it was related to the stitching of my hysterectomy. So double check with your doctor about the risks--they will downplay it but be persistent.

I'm home now and am always good when I'm home. Hopefully this healing will continue and I hope you have a speedy recovery too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register