LAVH 3 days post hysterectomy - will I start to hurt more as the week progresses? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 days post hysterectomy - will I start to hurt more as the week progresses? 3 days post hysterectomy - will I start to hurt more as the week progresses?

Unread 03-05-2016, 10:20 PM
3 days post hysterectomy - will I start to hurt more as the week progresses?

I am 3 days post op. New to this forum as well as the lingo. I had only 3 weeks to learn about hysterectomies before I had to go through it so i apologize if I don't use the correct wording. I had a total laporascopic assisted hysterectomy. Scope went in through my belly button and all my belonginings were removed vaginally. I had an appendicitis a month ago which also was laparoscopic but left an inch long incision underneath my belly button which is where my appendix came out. While the doc was taking care of the appendix, he mosied on down to my uterus/ovaries because I told him I was having pain lower in my pelvic region at the time. (I was diagnosed PCOS 5 years ago). I'm super thankful for him exploring that area because he found a fibroid on my uterus that was the size of a baseball. He took pics and I followed up with my gyno who then told me I was a signature away from being a part of the hysterectomy club- seeing as that fibroid was not there 3 months prior. So- that being said, I have had an incredibly web-filled month of trying to learn what my body was going through... And was about to be thrown into. That's my backstory. Oh- and I am 36 years old. No children due to PCOS and endomitriosis (which he also found while he was looking around).

Back to the beginning- I am 3 days post op. Literally NO pain down in my pelvic region but my belly button is so sore and swollen. She removed my uterus, tubes, and cervix. Left both ovaries because she said they were great and the cysts will not evolve much without the uterus. Now- keep in mind that I had an appendicitis before all this so my feeling for pain may be slightly jaded since I have been basically healing from one thing or another for a month lol. Not much bleeding at all, BM today with the help of a pink pill that finally helped me go.

I guess my question is: will I start to hurt more as the week progresses? I'm nervous because my belly button almost seems distended. Like a swollen ring around it. I was very swollen prior to surgery- looked almost 5 months pregnant. The lower half of my abdomen appears more normal which is great. My gyno also told me that she had to reinforce the stitching from the appendectomy because she feared it would have pulled apart.

Thank you in advance for helpful hints or comments!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeresaW View Post
I am 3 days post op. New to this forum as well as the lingo. I had only 3 weeks to learn about hysterectomies before I had to go through it so i apologize if I don't use the correct wording. I had a total laporascopic assisted hysterectomy. Scope went in through my belly button and all my belonginings were removed vaginally. I had an appendicitis a month ago which also was laparoscopic but left an inch long incision underneath my belly button which is where my appendix came out. While the doc was taking care of the appendix, he mosied on down to my uterus/ovaries because I told him I was having pain lower in my pelvic region at the time. (I was diagnosed PCOS 5 years ago). I'm super thankful for him exploring that area because he found a fibroid on my uterus that was the size of a baseball. He took pics and I followed up with my gyno who then told me I was a signature away from being a part of the hysterectomy club- seeing as that fibroid was not there 3 months prior. So- that being said, I have had an incredibly web-filled month of trying to learn what my body was going through... And was about to be thrown into. That's my backstory. Oh- and I am 36 years old. No children due to PCOS and endomitriosis (which he also found while he was looking around).

Back to the beginning- I am 3 days post op. Literally NO pain down in my pelvic region but my belly button is so sore and swollen. She removed my uterus, tubes, and cervix. Left both ovaries because she said they were great and the cysts will not evolve much without the uterus. Now- keep in mind that I had an appendicitis before all this so my feeling for pain may be slightly jaded since I have been basically healing from one thing or another for a month lol. Not much bleeding at all, BM today with the help of a pink pill that finally helped me go.

I guess my question is: will I start to hurt more as the week progresses? I'm nervous because my belly button almost seems distended. Like a swollen ring around it. I was very swollen prior to surgery- looked almost 5 months pregnant. The lower half of my abdomen appears more normal which is great. My gyno also told me that she had to reinforce the stitching from the appendectomy because she feared it would have pulled apart.

Thank you in advance for helpful hints or comments!!

I too had a hysterectomy 3 days ago. Unfortunately I've felt quite a bit of pain. I haven't BM'd yet and that worries me. I am taking fiber and a little pink pill also so hopefully tomorrow. Other than the pain & my mobility hindered I'm doing pretty good I think. It's hard to get up and down but I'm trying to walk around more. I guess the normal weight of a uterus is around 50 kg and mine weighed 900 kg!!! Thanks to a fibroid. So glad it's finally out of me!! Take of yourself and get well soon
Unread 03-05-2016, 10:41 PM

Oh I should add I'm 38, no kids & had the robotic laparoscopic surgery. Has anyone heard about sex or orgasms feeling different with this kind of surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustylocks View Post
Oh I should add I'm 38, no kids & had the robotic laparoscopic surgery. Has anyone heard about sex or orgasms feeling different with this kind of surgery?
What helps me is Phillips Milk of Magnesia pills. 3-4 daily and makes a huge difference!

I wasn't given a choice for the robot but I've heard it's wonderful. Hope you get to healing fast!

I've wondered the same about sex/orgasms. I read today that I shouldn't try the latter just yet. Kind of scared to but curious at the same time lol!
Unread 03-05-2016, 11:59 PM
Re: 3 days post op...

Day 3-5 is about normal for the first BM.

You can try ice on the spot if it appears swollen. When in doubt check with your doctor. Many fine ice helps, other heat. For me heat on the stomach and ice on the back and later vagina helped. You may not feel a lot of pain - many don't. Others have a lot. We are all different and there is no set rule for how much pain. You are probably still taking pain meds and swollen. Once the swelling goes down inside, then you may start feeling more pain. If not, be glad. For me week 3 - 5 were the most painful.
Unread 03-06-2016, 10:29 AM
Re: 3 days post hysterectomy - will I start to hurt more as the week progresses?

It is amazing how the body works. Woke up today feeling a little crampy. Yes- I don't turn down pain meds with given lol! She prescribed me norco and naproxen. Naproxen more for swelling I think. This forum is my lifesaver- thank you! This is new and scary for me and reading all the posts has helped my mind stay at ease.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register