Don't know if I can handle new job 10 weeks post hysterectomy | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Don't know if I can handle new job 10 weeks post hysterectomy Don't know if I can handle new job 10 weeks post hysterectomy

Unread 08-14-2017, 04:24 PM
Don't know if I can handle new job 10 weeks post hysterectomy

Sisters from my recovery group may know that I was laid off from my job at less than 1 week post op.

I found a new job that supposedly starts tomorrow. However, even though I really need it, I don't know whether I can go through with it. It's back in a field that I left after some very bad experiences, and since I accepted two weeks ago I've been going through increasing sleeplessness, nightmares, and screaming fits thinking about it. It will be quite physical, emotionally taxing, and require extremely early hours and a long commute.

I'm scared that my body and hormones have taken over and might prevent me showing up tomorrow when I don't have another offer on the table right now. I'm ten weeks post op--is it my body, or is that just an excuse? I don't want to hurt myself, but I don't want to be unemployed. I'm scared that if I can't make myself go through with this job I won't be able to find another one in this economy.

(I am on antidepressants and anxiety medication and have a therapist. I also have some "HRT" even though I kept my ovaries to control my PMDD. I am 37.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2017, 04:42 PM
Re: Don't know if I can handle new job 10 weeks post

I would go ahead and start the job. As you say, there's nothing else on the table right now so what have you got to lose? If it works out, that's great. If you don't at least try, you will be unemployed and you will always wonder if it might have worked out for you. If you start the job and find it's physically difficult for you, you will leave knowing you gave it your best shot.

Let us know tomorrow what you decided to do.
Unread 08-14-2017, 05:02 PM

You should go for it, the longer you wait, the harder it is going to be.

Starting a new job is always stressful, but especially after being home for 10 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-14-2017, 05:44 PM

I agree, start the job! You could always quit if it was horrible.
Unread 08-15-2017, 11:18 PM
Re: Don't know if I can handle new job 10 weeks post hysterectomy

Well, I'm a currently recovering responder. Week six. I hear your body talking to you in the form of anticipatory stress. And the body and mind are connected, right! A job you are dreading may mix poorly wth your ongoing healing. To think of it another way, if you pass this one by and heal a little longer, you could be good and strong for a better offer. In theory! Please tell us what you decided. Good luck!
Unread 08-16-2017, 05:46 AM

I ended up not taking it. It's one of the scariest things I've ever done, but my body just wouldn't let me. Sleeplessness, no bowel movements and psychogenic fever level wouldn't let me. I wish I could have handled it, but there was more going on in addition to being post-surgical. The nature of the work was triggering my autism and PTSD.

I'm fortunate enough to have a husband who makes enough to pay everything at a subsistence level while I take a little more time to heal and find something that doesn't trigger me and involve changing my career back to the one I left. I hope I can find something soon and not have a resume hole, but meanwhile I slept through the night last night for the first time since surgery, without drugs.
Unread 08-16-2017, 11:39 AM

I'm sorry it's been such a stressful recovery for you. Based on how you are feeling it sounds like you made the right choice in not taking the job.
Unread 08-16-2017, 04:14 PM

The body has its own wisdom, doesn't it. So often the body knows things for sure, through uncomfortable symptoms, when the mind does not. It appears your body knew for sure. How very fortunate you had some financial buffer to let you pass this job by at this time. Of course that's not always the case. Pat yourself on the back for listening to the wisdom of your body, and happy/complete healing to you!
Unread 08-16-2017, 06:22 PM

Thanks for the support. It's still scary, though I know I'm very fortunate to have a buffer that many sisters don't have (I didn't have it either most of my life, and things will still be very tight until I find work). I had been trying to force myself into it for two weeks and the somatic symptoms just kept getting worse and worse. I'll never know how much was crazy ovaries v other stuff.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register