Returning to work? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Returning to work? Returning to work?

Unread 12-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Returning to work?

TAH 11-20

my 6 weeks will be ending soon return to work scheduled for 1/4. Anyone else wondering how on earth they will make it thru the work day? I have a desk job but to me sitting right now is the most uncomfortable. My energy level byid afternoon is in the negative and that's being @ home no work stress. Sigh .. Not to mention that after 2 hours in ' regular ' pant meaning pants that zipper and button not my sweats or jammies that I cant breathe and my swelly belly is so swelled it and pushed up out of my pants that it looks as if I have 2 sets if boobs !!! Lol!
I just don't see how I will make it thru a work day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Re: Returning to work?

Tinkerbell - I had a TVH on 11/13 and went back to work 3/4 time this week. You'll get back in the routine soon enough. I only work until about 3-4pm cause I get tired and just can't think....see if you can take a 20 min power nap at lunch....seems to really help on days when I can't stop working early.

Hang in there....things will be normal sooner then you think

Debi
Unread 12-17-2009, 09:33 AM

I have been anxious about work too, even more about driving myself around, I have not yet attempted to do so. Would love to hear what others would say especially if they have been in the traffic for two hours or so.
essyeliza
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-17-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by essyeliza View Post
I have been anxious about work too, even more about driving myself around, I have not yet attempted to do so. Would love to hear what others would say especially if they have been in the traffic for two hours or so.
essyeliza
it was funny...after being "down" for several weeks driving was weird. It felt really funny to be in charge of this big truck and out on the road. It took me a couple of times driving (around very slowly) to really feel comfortable again...but now it's not a big deal.

Debi
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:30 AM

if you can afford to go back for half days the first week or two I suggest you do that. I am so glad I did because by 1:00 PM I was DONE. I just returned full time this past Monday. Being able to ease back into it really helps!
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:37 AM

I would love to go back half days to ease back into it but that won't be allows by my boss

As for driving. I have been driving but as I mentioned in original post sitting seems to be the most uncomfortable position for me

i go for another post op appt 12-22 in which I will get an internal exam ( yikes !) and that will determine if I go back 1/4 or if he feels I haven't healed enough inside then he mentioned extending it 2 wks .. See what happens.. Good luck to everyone getting ready to enter 'reality' again and happy holidays to all
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:40 AM

... Even if your doctor writes you a note releasing you to go back only for half days? Wow, I even got short term disability pay during those two weeks too... Do you work for a small company?
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:43 AM

Hmm I didn't think of that. If ihave a drs note stating half days I imagine she has to abide by that. I will look into that .. Thank you !
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:47 AM

Tinkerbell - thanks for the chuckle with your description of your swelly belly and a second set of boobs! LOL!!

Even though my scale says 9 lbs less, my work pants are still 2" away from closing comfortably and the last thing I want to do is cram myself into in! Maybe you can pick up some yoga pants (target has some cute ones for about $15) and wear those for awhile?

I'm with you on the sitting - I have to get up and walk around for a few minutes for every 30-45 mins of sitting and I have a pillow I sit on which seems to help. Other posts have recommended being able to put your feet up on something while you sit.

I'm an outside sales rep covering the state and plan to build in "nap time" into my schedule albeit in my car at some random parking lot. For me, I'm a bit concerned about maintaining my composure during a hot flash in the middle of a presentation. I don't think exclaiming "Whew!!" suddenly fanning myself and losing my train of thought is going to help my sales! LOL!!

I remain hopeful that I will heal a lot more between now and returning to work fulltime - each week seems to bring great improvement ... so that's the story I'm sticking with for now!

Good luck!
Unread 12-17-2009, 10:52 AM

Best of luck to you glittertwist

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register