Brown urine 4 wk post op?? | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Brown urine 4 wk post op?? Brown urine 4 wk post op??

Unread 05-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Brown urine 4 wk post op??

I'm going to call the doctor Monday, but looking for opinion to hold me over on the weekend...I've been watching for a fever for a week and it is almost always normal, sometimes 99+. I have had brown tinge to my urine for a week, but no other UTI symptoms. Achy back I blame on sitting in the recliner too much, and tired, icky feeling I have been just blaming on recovery from surgery. At first I though the brown was discharge, but for the last few days I wore a panty liner and nothing. Every time I wipe after urinating the toilet paper is stained a bit brownish. This morning I even wiped first before I peed to see if it was discharge, paper was white and dry. Then I peed, and it was stained brown on the paper.So now today I am concerned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2012, 03:45 PM
Re: Brown urine 4 wk post op??

Are you drinking enough water? You might want to go to an urgent care of the ER if you are feeling ill or call your doctor's office and speak to the doctor on call.
Unread 05-05-2012, 04:54 PM

It sounds like a tiny amount of blood in the urine which means UTI even if you don't have the symptoms yet. Once I peed and there was so much blood that it looked like cherry koolaid, but I had no pain, burning or fever. I went to the ER and by the time I got checked in the fever and burning started. Sometimes blood in the urine is the first symptom of a UTI. If you call your doctor, he may just call you in an antibiotic and let you avoid the trip to the clinic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-05-2012, 11:20 PM

MOLLY yes, I'm drinking plenty of water. The urine in the toilet is almost clear looking ( a bit cloudy) the brownish urine is only on the toilet paper.
I don't have a fever so am waiting till Monday to call doctor. I don't feel a walk in/urgent care place is necessary, plus I'm more comfortable talking to the doctor that did surgery in case it isn't a UTI but some post op complication.
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:23 PM

Keep a good eye on it, cloudy urine can indicate UTI.
Unread 05-05-2012, 11:27 PM

I didn't know about cloudy urine being an indicator, thanks! Do you think it's ok for me to wait till Monday?
Unread 05-06-2012, 08:59 AM

UTIs can go from mild to horribly painful pretty fast. I'd recommend calling your doctor. UTIs are such a common thing after hysterectomies that your doctor may even call in an antibiotic without making you go into the clinic or ER.
Unread 05-06-2012, 09:28 AM

I have a raging UTI with no temp, just some pain I thought was due to my surgery. I have already gone thru one course of antibiotic for it, and it came back. Started with brownish urine, just like yours. I let it go, because I ruled out UTI having gone thru a course of meds, but when it turned to the red Kool aid pee I knew. Also I have had to pee so frequently it was ridiculous. I am on day 2 of the second round of antibiotics and feeling better already. You need a URINE test to really know if you have a uti. The longer you let it go, the harder it will be to get rid of. Ask me how I know.
Unread 05-06-2012, 01:52 PM

Thanks everyone. I woke up this morning to a toilet of blood so went to the emergency room. I have a really bad kidney infection and was given antibiotics.They said I most likely got a UTI from the catheter and it went untreated so it moved into my kidneys.He said the reason I didn't have a fever was because I've been on motrin around the clock and it masks the fever. I did have alternation chills, warm flashes and low grad fever , but I thought that was all hormonal ( ovaries in shock after surgery). All my other bladder problems sounded just like all the other post op sisters. My horrible back pains I blamed on too much sitting around in my recliner. Well, I know now, so I'm resting, taking my medicine, drinking lots of water and cranberry juice and waiting for my horrible back pain to go away. Thanks again for all the support.
Unread 05-06-2012, 05:06 PM

Hey Cathb...you must have been so scared!! I can definitely see how you would think your symptoms were related to surgery, your recliner, your sleepy ovaries, etc. We almost have to get medical degrees to figure some of this stuff out! Please get your rest, take your meds and drink that yummy cranberry juice...xxx Laura

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register