HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

15 days post hysterectomy: How much pain are you experiencing? 15 days post hysterectomy: How much pain are you experiencing?

Unread 05-19-2017, 10:44 AM
15 days post hysterectomy: How much pain are you experiencing?

My TAH was 5/4 and I've been wondering how much pain is typical for where I'm at. I've been "good," for the most part -- resting, eating well, and avoiding the many physical strains that could prolong healing. My family has been supportive and helpful, and I'm not facing any serious health issues once I heal (my hugs to those who are -- I lurk, read and send positive thoughts). So, I feel a little whiney when I complain about pain, but it's definitely plaguing me.

I did have a fair amount of work done to the plumbing in there. My bladder was stuck to my uterus, and my surgeon addressed lots of scar tissue and adhesions from four c-sections. I have mild IBS but have been managing well with lots of water and good, fresh food. (We won't discuss that first BM 7 days post-op )

...but I hurt! I haven't been sleeping well -- you all know how difficult it can be to get comfortable. And today, my incision feels six ways of sensitive. I've iced, used a heating pad, did some deep breathing. The little twinges of gas pain are enough to stop me in my tracks, but they pass (simethicone helps). It's this generally belly pain that gets me. I guess I'm being an impatient patient.

I'm taking ibuprofen and acetaminophen regularly, as advised.

So, sistahs, is this typical? Is there anything in particular that's helped you with the pain?
Unread 05-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsands View Post
My TAH was 5/4 and I've been wondering how much pain is typical for where I'm at. I've been "good," for the most part -- resting, eating well, and avoiding the many physical strains that could prolong healing. My family has been supportive and helpful, and I'm not facing any serious health issues once I heal (my hugs to those who are -- I lurk, read and send positive thoughts). So, I feel a little whiney when I complain about pain, but it's definitely plaguing me.

I did have a fair amount of work done to the plumbing in there. My bladder was stuck to my uterus, and my surgeon addressed lots of scar tissue and adhesions from four c-sections. I have mild IBS but have been managing well with lots of water and good, fresh food. (We won't discuss that first BM 7 days post-op )

...but I hurt! I haven't been sleeping well -- you all know how difficult it can be to get comfortable. And today, my incision feels six ways of sensitive. I've iced, used a heating pad, did some deep breathing. The little twinges of gas pain are enough to stop me in my tracks, but they pass (simethicone helps). It's this generally belly pain that gets me. I guess I'm being an impatient patient.

I'm taking ibuprofen and acetaminophen regularly, as advised.

So, sistahs, is this typical? Is there anything in particular that's helped you with the pain?
Hi! I was prescribed Flexeril after my TAH ( plus tummy tuck) to help with the muscle spasm. This Rx has been a life saver. I was experiencing so many spasms and pains like contractions almost.
Perhaps you could mention this Rx to the nurse/doc?
Best wishes!
Unread 05-19-2017, 09:31 PM

Hi I had TAH on 5/4. Pain has been a roller coaster. I had a fibroid attached to my bladder so to remove it my Dr. had to cut my bladder. So I am having pain from that also. I have eased up on the hydrocodene with acetaminophen and am taking advil. I got a lot of twinges and twitches in abdominal area, bladder, pelvic, utethra, and internal down there. If the twinges last more than a few minutes I take advil. If I start to have constant heavier pain I take the prescription.
Pretty anything I do too long will cause an ache...sit too long stand too long lay too long in one position.
Hope you feel better soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-21-2017, 09:28 PM
Re: 15 days post hysterectomy: How much pain are you experiencing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiPeach View Post
I had a fibroid attached to my bladder so to remove it my Dr. had to cut my bladder. So I am having pain from that also.
Me, too -- I can only imagine the kind of finesse it takes a surgeon to peel a bladder away from a fibroid (yours) or uterus (mine). I do feel tenderness in that area, for sure, and sometimes, pain as I finish peeing (spasm, I assume). And sometimes, just because.

I wasn't given very much in the way of prescription pain reliever -- the doctors are so careful nowadays, and with good reason. I did call to ask for more but I was so self conscious of sounding like a "drug seeker" that I didn't push the issue. Just as well, I guess -- the constipation narcotics tend to cause can outweigh the benefit at a certain point! I have a high tolerance for pain in general and have had 4 c-sections with not much pain at all, but the pain of a TAH took me by surprise. That it would hurt more only makes sense, but the optimist in me was hoping to buck reality, I guess ;-).

I'm going to try the meditation app that's been suggested so I can get some sleep, at least. I go back for my post op check this week, so I'll discuss some other strategies with the doc then.
Unread 05-21-2017, 10:04 PM

i had a tah on 5/8 and while my pain has been gradually lessening every day, I'm still in enough pain to be regularly on pain killers. Percocet and 600mg ibuprofen. i too had a lot of scar tissue from 3 c sections and also had a cantaloupe sized cyst removed.

i feel like I'm listening to my body and taking good care of myself, but yeah there's pain still. mostly it's an aching in my belly but sometimes there are breath stealing shards that pop up and startle me. I'm not ashamed to still be taking the narcotics.

i have an appt with my doc tomorrow and intend to ask for one final refill of the Percocet. I'm pretty sure she'll agree, at my one week she was very understanding of my need for the meds and reminded me i had a lot more than work done in there than just my uterus removed, so not to worry about still being in a good bit of pain.

everyone heals differently and for every sister who's off narcotics on day four, there's one who still is in a lot of pain at 2 weeks post. take care of yourself and listen to your body.
Unread 05-21-2017, 11:00 PM

Hi vsands,

If this helps any, I an going on my 5th week of recovery from a LAVH and I still have pains. I was still very much in pain 14 days out. Just keep doing what you are doing. Get a strongerr med if you need. I found Tramadol to be very effective and it is not a narcotic. I hope this helps to ease your mind a bit.
Unread 05-22-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggsyunwin View Post
i had a tah on 5/8 and while my pain has been gradually lessening every day, I'm still in enough pain to be regularly on pain killers. Percocet and 600mg ibuprofen. i too had a lot of scar tissue from 3 c sections and also had a cantaloupe sized cyst removed.

i feel like I'm listening to my body and taking good care of myself, but yeah there's pain still. mostly it's an aching in my belly but sometimes there are breath stealing shards that pop up and startle me. I'm not ashamed to still be taking the narcotics.

i have an appt with my doc tomorrow and intend to ask for one final refill of the Percocet. I'm pretty sure she'll agree, at my one week she was very understanding of my need for the meds and reminded me i had a lot more than work done in there than just my uterus removed, so not to worry about still being in a good bit of pain.

everyone heals differently and for every sister who's off narcotics on day four, there's one who still is in a lot of pain at 2 weeks post. take care of yourself and listen to your body.
Hello!
I switched to Tylenol w codeine in my 3rd week and just now at almost 4 weeks post op switching to Motrin 800. It was a good way for me to get off the strong narcotics while getting the pain relief I needed.
Just a thought....
Hang in there! Best wishes!
Unread 05-22-2017, 01:43 PM

Try not to panic, this is the most important thing. I was in and still am in a lot of pain, to be honest I had my surgery 3-13-2017 and I'm still taking pain killers twice daily. Do not compare yourself to others, I found I had a very hard time dealing with this as most of the gal's who are so sweet on my thread healed perfectly, within 2 weeks most had been off painkillers and mostly back to normal lives. Do not worry about your healing, please as it is important. What I've come to learn, the more work you had done, the longer it will take to heal, but you are healing and that is what is important. I still have these issues myself, being so many weeks out. I worry, knowing I'm not shouldn't and will be going through extra testing to find out what is going on. It is a along road, with ups and downs, but you made it this far. Just try not to lose yourself in the process, you will find your own path even if it isn't at the same time as the gal's on your thread! HeHe I'm still learning and trying to hang in there myself. You'd be surprised, I felt over 5 different types of pain, most of it is gone, only a few linger, but my doctor was all over my belly. Give things time, and keep on top of your doctor. Staying positive and being around supportive people will help you get through this. Good Luck, there is light at the end of this tunnel, even if you can't see it yet, you body will heal in time. Even if it takes longer than you expected, I always say, even though this process feels like forever, it won't take forever! Just take time to remember what matters, you can make it to the other side! Also just to let you know, I'm on the same path as you I have ulcerative colitis! Similar to IBS. Uh! Take care, I try to do what I can, so I can avoid, any set backs. Again good luck! Hang in there you can do it!
Unread 05-23-2017, 09:11 AM

Mine has actually gotten worse, somehow. The first week was remarkably easy besides the surgical pain. Then week two hit and I got the swelly belly and lower pelvic pain, lots and lots of bladder pain. Now I've got this aching feeling across my belly and I'm worried I somehow have another hematoma like I did after my myomectomy. It's in the same place.

I'm still taking pain killers but I'm worried about getting more so I'm only taking when it's absolutely unbearable. This may not be sustainable, since it hurts and ibuprofen/Tylenol isn't enough.

I'm doing one day of absolutely nothing today to try to calm things down and then going into the doc later this week I think.
Unread 05-23-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knicknack View Post
Mine has actually gotten worse, somehow. The first week was remarkably easy besides the surgical pain. Then week two hit and I got the swelly belly and lower pelvic pain, lots and lots of bladder pain. Now I've got this aching feeling across my belly and I'm worried I somehow have another hematoma like I did after my myomectomy. It's in the same place.

I'm still taking pain killers but I'm worried about getting more so I'm only taking when it's absolutely unbearable. This may not be sustainable, since it hurts and ibuprofen/Tylenol isn't enough.

I'm doing one day of absolutely nothing today to try to calm things down and then going into the doc later this week I think.
I'm so sorry for your pain!!
Please do call your doctor today for an appointment ( you can always cancel).
I actually had a bladder infection that I didn't know about and my doc put me on antibiotics. Feeling better now....
please rest today and let me and the other sisters know how you are doing....

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register