HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What Is Going On With My Breasts?!?! 7 weeks Post Hysterectomy What Is Going On With My Breasts?!?! 7 weeks Post Hysterectomy

Unread 05-19-2017, 10:53 AM
What Is Going On With My Breasts?!?! 7 weeks Post Hysterectomy

Dear Sisters! !

I'm 7 weeks post op as of Wednesday and my recovery has been pretty uneventful with only a couple bumps on the recovery road. Prior to my surgery my breasts always became extremely sore the week prior to and during my period. I had both ovaries removed so I figured I'd no longer be dealing with sore breasts since I think the estrogen influences that.

So during the first 4 weeks or so of recovery my breasts felt GREAT...no soreness/pain at all
I guess about a week and a half ago both breasts have become sore on the sides again (where the breast attaches to the chest cavaity) just like before when my period was on the way. The only difference is I'm currently not experiencing discomfort in my nipples. My husband also commented that my breasts look bigger. I had ordered some new bras and increased the cup size due to the cut of the bra. I have noticed some "spillage" out the top of the cup.

Has anyone else dealt with breast pain and increased size after a hysterectomy and removal of both ovaries? I was so happy for a while thinking I'd no longer have to go through this with my breasts (and hubby was excited I was no longer biting his head off anytime he came near them). I haven't started HRT yet as my surgeon wants me to wait 3 months once I'm in menopause (which of course hadn't occurred yet as of 4/27).

I just hope this will go away at some point.

Sahana
Unread 05-19-2017, 03:08 PM

I have one ovary left. Shortly after surgery, maybe in week 2 or 3, my breasts was sore and swollen, just like when having pms. I am now just over 3 months and it happens often. It may last a day or two, sometimes a week.

They do look bigger also but I'm not sure if it's because I'm losing the middle weight caused by having a cyst and fibroid, both 10 cm. Or if they're getting bigger?? Either way, needing a hysterectomy is one of the best things that has happened to me!!

I saw a photo someone made that says, I've got 99 problems and a (picture of a uterus) ain't one! Love it!!!
Unread 05-19-2017, 04:50 PM
Re: What Is Going On With My Boobs?!?! 7 weeks Post Op

Breast tenderness is often caused by fluctuating hormones. Even though you had your ovaries removed, there may still be residual hormones in your body. This is likely why your doctor wants to wait 3 months before starting HRT. As your hormones dwindle and taper off, you may experience symptoms of hormonal imbalance, such as acne, mood changes, and breast tenderness. This article explains it well:

Breast Tenderness After Hysterectomy

Ibuprofen may help with the swelling and discomfort. I hope this helps!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2017, 11:41 PM

Your are right!

I just got home from my attempt to go clothes shopping...I ended up buying one top. The good news is I appear to be returning back to normal size every place but my chest. I don't need any extra help there but I'm guessing... if ones chest is bigger, it makes the waist look smaller??
Unread 05-20-2017, 09:12 PM
Re: What Is Going On With My Breasts?!?! 7 weeks Post Hysterectomy

I had both ovaries removed and am on hrt, but my boobs are so painful sometimes too! I too, thought it was pms, but not sure...it must be the hormones regulating because it comes and goes on it's own schedule, lol!

PS: Mine seem to be a little fuller than before too!
Unread 05-21-2017, 11:59 AM

Dear Sisters. ..

I'm so relieved that this breast tenderness is a common issue after hysterectomy (and that I'm not imagining that they seem larger). I did find the article link very helpful so thank you for that. The heating pad suggestion in the article felt good while I could lay down.

And like some of you I really don't need the increase in size. I will just keep hoping that some day this will straighten out and I can go back to feeling amazing with my breasts like I did the first 4 weeks of my recovery.

Sahana

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register