Pressure and pain 1 week after abdominal hysterectomy (5/10) | Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pressure and pain 1 week after abdominal hysterectomy (5/10) Pressure and pain 1 week after abdominal hysterectomy (5/10)

Unread 05-19-2017, 01:02 PM
Pressure and pain 1 week after abdominal hysterectomy (5/10)

I'm a bit alone here in the U.K., none of my friends so young have had this done and who has had it laparoscopically, mine was not this way but large cut below bikini line. Anyway I'm 1 week post op, on antibiotics, feeling pressure and pain where bladder is, straining to clear my bowels, even though I'm on laxatives. I'm still taking codeine (it's the only thing I can take that I'm not allergic to that kills the pain been on it 3 years with my endo). Anyhow is this normal me feeling like there's a big melon just above where my wee would come out is this healing from the trauma or something else HELP PLEASE don't know whether to call the Consultant and explain what I'm feeling pain spreads around to my lower back also?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-19-2017, 01:16 PM
Re: 1 week after abdo hysterectomy

Hi there!
You are not alone. I had my surgery May 9th and is exactly what I experienced. Do not strain but drink lots of water and walk around the house. This will help with BM. Inflammation will cause you to feel pressure, I took ibuprofen 800 mg instead of oxicodone which helped greatly. Eat small healthy meals especially with probiotics.

Please do contact your physician if you have concerns. I wish you a healthy and speedy recovery.
Unread 05-19-2017, 04:38 PM
Re: 1 week after abdo hysterectomy

and

Yes, this is major surgery, and many of us need painkillers through a week or more, and continuing with anti-inflammatories beyond that. The swelling is pretty common - it even has a nickname and its own emoji, Swelly Belly . Wherever there's inflammation, fluids often gather, and lucky us, that's in our bellies . Some get over it faster than others; mine lasted about 8 weeks, though during the last two weeks it was an evening occurrence.

For your bowels, in addition to drinking plenty of water and a bit of walking, choose foods high in fiber and magnesium: dark leafy greens, whole grains and fiber cereals, nuts, seeds, avocados, dried fruit, fresh fruit, frozen fruit in smoothies, warm liquids like peppermint tea, prune juice and enough water-water-water to swamp a canoe to keep it all flowing. Also, when you sit on the commode, prop your feet up on a low footstool. We're built to squat, and having our knees higher than our hips properly aligns the colon for emptying. Laxatives can be quite explosive and add to cramping - it's best not to use them regularly.

Your backache could be from bowel cramping, but what a number of Sisters find is that their backs are compensating for their weakened abs. That certainly was my case. The best thing for me was a reclining position to spread my weight across my hips and not use my back. A heating pad also helped.

Some additional resources to guide you through these early weeks:Also, check out your Recovery Thread at Recovery Progress Reports for May 08-14. Recovery Threads are dedicated threads for women who had surgery the same week as you. They are wonderful for getting support, comparing notes, and encouraging others.

You are NOT alone here at HysterSisters!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-20-2017, 10:08 AM
Re: Pressure and pain 1 week after abdominal hysterectomy

Hi Younghyster,

I am in the U.K too! TAH - with the surprise of severe endo - kept ovaries - 12th May and I feel the same pressure and pain too! My pain is shooting near the end of emptying my bladder and sometimes like I have an Air bubble down there - don't know how else to describe it?! My pain is also in my hips and lower back. And more preferable to the horrid burning sensation.....

You have to remember everything has had a bit of a pummelling and will be sore and inflamed and this is all just part of our healing. I have very little bladder sensation at the moment and only know I need to go when the pressure builds up- I have been reassured this will improve. I stopped taking codeine and swapped to Iboprofen, am drinking lots of water based drinks and taking lactulose and have been fine since day 3 with very little BM straining. Of course check in with your consultant if you have any concerns but just wanted to let you know you are not on your own.

We just need to be patient and rest and allow ourselves to heal

Wishing you a good recovery x
Unread 05-21-2017, 05:11 AM

I agree with Cussette about using laxatives sparingly, or not at all; my main concern is that you may be developing a dependency on them, which will only make the situation worse. To get things moving without the laxatives, make sure you're taking regular walks, which will really help. Peppermint tea can help with constipation caused by narcotic painkillers; other helpful drink choices include a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon, and a smoothie with almond milk, cherries, spinach, and ground flaxseeds. Other top picks for magnesium include pumpkin seeds and dark chocolate. For probiotics, look for the strain Bifidobacterium longum. Another top tip, to get things moving as nature intended, is to do the " potty squat, " as Cussette mentioned, right after a meal; this stimulates the gastro-colic reflex, in which the stomach tells the brain that it's full, then the brain tells the colon to empty its contents, to make room for the new stuff coming in. Here's hoping you'll be back to 💩 soon!
Unread 05-21-2017, 06:08 AM
Re: Pressure and pain 1 week after abdominal hysterectomy

Hi there, many of the other girls have already given really good advice. I would definitely recommend getting off the laxatives as they will probably cause you cramping if you're not getting any joy in the loo. Drink loads of water and eat high fibre stuff where you can but eat small meals until you have your first BM. There are also suppositories you can get which soften stool from the other end (yes, you have to poke a couple up your bottom) if there's not enough liquids getting through to your intestines. The nurses at the hospital gave me a couple as they were concerned at how gassy I felt.

With regards to the "melon" feeling, is this over the area where your incision it? There will be hardness around, above and below your incision site and it will be there for anything up to about six months. If it's tender, try warm compresses as that helps circulation and can soften the hardness of the swelling. My swelling felt like clay - I could literally leave indents in my belly and they would stay there for a couple minutes. It's not so bad now.

Always contact your doctor/consultant if you are concerned about ANYTHING. It's their job to make sure you're ok too. If you are worried about any sort of pain, definitely contact them for advice or a check-up. Peace of mind aids healing as much as rest.

I hope you start to feel better soon. xox
Unread 05-21-2017, 06:46 AM

No so much of the melon feeling but entire tummy is numb tingly when you prod or touch it way above the incision. As well as understandably on the incision as can be expected I'm on antibiotics but where drain was there is a small hole think it's got an infection in it going to arrange drs thus week so emotional today just something small kicked me off into floods of tears, now feeling down and upset
Unread 05-24-2017, 07:52 AM

Good news I'm going regular as clockwork with my diet change back on my juice plus. Anyway, hole where drain was don't know if it's an ingrowing hair or what but it's ***** and it's got what looks like hard puss hanging out of it, using tcp on it still in quite a bit of pain when I overdo it!

Just want a nice soak in the bath but can't can I after 2 weeks post op ?
Unread 05-24-2017, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younghyster32 View Post
Good news I'm going regular as clockwork with my diet change back on my juice plus. Anyway, hole where drain was don't know if it's an ingrowing hair or what but it's ***** and it's got what looks like hard puss hanging out of it, using tcp on it still in quite a bit of pain when I overdo it!

Just want a nice soak in the bath but can't can I after 2 weeks post op ?
Hello! Just wanted to let you know that my tummy is still sore and numb after 4 weeks....not sure when that will pass... And I would call your doc about that bath....
Here's to your recovery!
Best wishes!
Unread 05-25-2017, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younghyster32 View Post
I'm a bit alone here in the U.K., none of my friends so young have had this done and who has had it laparoscopically, mine was not this way but large cut below bikini line. Anyway I'm 1 week post op, on antibiotics, feeling pressure and pain where bladder is, straining to clear my bowels, even though I'm on laxatives. I'm still taking codeine (it's the only thing I can take that I'm not allergic to that kills the pain been on it 3 years with my endo). Anyhow is this normal me feeling like there's a big melon just above where my wee would come out is this healing from the trauma or something else HELP PLEASE don't know whether to call the Consultant and explain what I'm feeling pain spreads around to my lower back also?
Hey! I'm really young as well, only 23, and just had a full hysterectomy due to PID (pelvic inflammatory disease). I know I'm my case the incision was done vertically, and is 7 or 8 inches long. I get the same kind of feeling too, I think it's mostly swelling. But my doctor also had to move my bladder in order to get everything out. When I go wee, it feels like there's a string attached inside pulling everything down. Very unsettling feeling. But hopefully that helps! I think it's probably the swelling, but no one better to ask than your doctor!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register