Hysterectomy - Help...... anyone else with? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy  - Help...... anyone else with? Hysterectomy - Help...... anyone else with?

Unread 09-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Hysterectomy - Help...... anyone else with?

Hello all,
I had my TAH on August 19, 2005. The massive bruising across my abdomin and sides is going away but I am having pain in my left lower area and to the left side. Is this normal? The only thing I have going for me is that the staples were taken out a week after surgery and no reported problems - looks like it is healing well. My abdominal area is very swollen and right over my incision it is as hard as a rock!!! Also, I know that I had a catheter which was no problem but I have a lot of pressure when I urinate. Anyone else with these problems????? Please help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2005, 09:39 PM

Hi, I had a TVH on 7/27 and then on 7/28 I had complications w/ internal bleeding and they ended up opening me up hip to hip soooo I know your pain. I too have pain in the left lower area and left side only. I don't know if it is normal or not. Right now I am chalking it up to an ovary or gas pain. I go to the Dr. next week.... Mine is a stabbing pain.
The swelly belly will be there for a while. Some say the top of the incision will always kind of "hang" over?? My swelly belly has finally gone down (just not over the incision). It does get bigger if I do too much, though. As for the incision itself, it is normal for it to be hard. Mine still is and it is also numb and I am almost 6 weeks out. I also have pressure when I urinate but I had a bladder repair and sling put in place. My Dr. said that it will take a while for the pain to go away. I had a catheter in for 6 days. There are a lot more experienced ladies out there, so I am sure you will get some good responses!!
Unread 09-03-2005, 11:31 PM

Hi Caren,

I do know what you are saying about the llq pain, I don't want to discourage you with my story. You are still quite early in your recovery stage...you need to really take it easy and don't do too much. Let your body recover and heal...no matter what anyone else may say to you in the "outside world" this is a really major surgery and I am sure if you just give it some time the pain will go away. If it keeps up for too long give your dr a call and get in to see them.

I can't stress enough that you need to relax...no house work, no yard work. Just take care of yourself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2005, 12:28 AM

I'm having that pain on the side. The more I read... strange enough... I believe it's gas. "guess only". I'm wondering if I'm taking it to easy. You need to move to get rid of the gas... how much is to much Moving??
Unread 09-04-2005, 03:31 AM

I had severe pain in my left side which i could only describe as burning and searing. It was triggered by certain positions and much worse when I was lying down or getting out of bed.
It was diagnosed as neuropathic pain and I finally got treatment just over a week ago. Apparently 1 in 10 people who have surgery experience this problem. it can be treated effectivly but the medication takes 4-7 days to kick in( I'm feeling great now). If you're experiencing something similar it needs to be treated. All pain should be checked with your doctor - don't think you are a baby as this thing is really awful. If you think it's something else please pursue it until you are satisfied with the explanation and treatment.
best of luck
jean
Unread 09-04-2005, 06:49 AM

It sounds like you are following in my foot steps. I had those complaints, and still have mild symptoms. I don't think any of us really understands how long it takes to heal. I feel really well except for the swelly belly thing, and I look ...according to all my friends..."really good". But I know I still have a lot of healing to do. I have the most understanding and well prepared husband in the world, and I overheard him telling a friend the other day that this is a bigger operation than anyone realizes. He even expected me to be back on the golf course in 6 to 8 weeks. Some might be able to do that, but I am not ready yet. TAKE THE TIME YOU NEED TO HEAL. (Sorry to shout, but it is important)
Unread 09-04-2005, 07:41 AM

I'm now heading into week 5 of my recovery. I was pretty discouraged during week 3 and most of week 4 because I was still so weary and having considerable pain. Good news, by just resting and taking care of myself, and walking, I'm feeling better. For about two weeks I felt as if I had "phantom ovaries." Even now when I have to eliminate, the "full" feeling is somewhat painful and, fortunately, it's immediately relieved. What kind of exercise? I specifically asked my doctor to compare what level of strain my abdomen could take, say compared to sitting up in bed. The doctor said that was about the extent of it. She also said that walking is the best way to build up the strength of the abdomen in a gentle way. I'm trying to walk a mile a day - if not all at once, in multiple walks. I think it's helping. Best wishes and hang in there. Rest really is important.
Unread 09-04-2005, 08:33 AM

You're still early in your recovery. Take it easy and give yourself time to heal. It's going to take 6-8 weeks and even then you may not even feel completely normal. I am 5 weeks and still have pain occasionally. It's just part of the healing process. It also took me weeks to get over the pain and pressure from the catheter. The uro said that the feeling might be with me for 4-6 weeks.

Of course, if you have extreme pain, please call your Dr. Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 09-04-2005, 09:53 AM

Hi, I can totally understand what u all r going through. I am over 8 weeks post op and I still can not fit into any of my jeans comfortably. I am really bummed about this. I had a total vaginal Hysterectomy laproscopic assisted and a bladder sling. I am still recovering. Every night my belly is too swollen for me to wear my regular clothes so I change into stretch pants. I didn't realize how long it takes to heal. I also have a bladder disease called Interstitial Cystitis which to me makes the whole healing thing worse for me. I have 5 children to take care of and school starts right around the corner. I don't understand why it is taking so long to heal! I thought I could work out by now. I haven't had a belly like this since I gave birth to my children. I started doing abdominal exercises which made me look and feel worse. I was so bloated/swollen by evening time. What can we do as far as exercise.
Unread 09-04-2005, 11:40 AM

You guys are great!!! Thank you for responding and making me feel okay.. I am going to contact my doctor on Tuesday - As far as taking it easy - I am trying to - no lifting etc..... I do feel guilty though. You all are wonderful - it is so nice to chat with other woman that are experiencing or have experienced the same problems...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register