Surgery countdown | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery countdown Surgery countdown

Unread 12-02-2007, 02:36 PM
Surgery countdown

Hi Sisters!
Well, just 26 and a half hours until I arrive at the castle.
I find out today what time I am scheduled for surgery; and all things being equal, it looks like I am going to be super lucky with my pre-op prep.
As I don't arrive at the castle until 11am, by the time they do all the prep work (I did not have a pre-op appointment), it most likely won't be until at least 1pm before I go in for surgery.
According to the information I was sent, anyone having surgery from 1pm onwards, is allowed to have a light breakfast prior to 7am, and clear fluids, such as cordial or water, until 10 am...I really hope this is the case; but even if I have to fast from midnight, I have done alot better than most ladies on here. I had a colonoscopy years ago, and still have horrible memories of the dreadful drink I had to consume...nasty stuff. I do recall it provided no end of amusement for my husband and my best friend, who is also male. "Oh you poor thing; how dreadful for you." loses its sincerity when they are smirking and failing to contain their laughter, as you make what feels like your one billionth trek to the bathroom! Humiliation knows no bounds.
I wish all my sisters-in-waiting all the very best, especially those on the 3rd and 4th. I say both, because I am in Australia, and whilst my surgery is on the 4th here, it will be the 3rd in most places in the northern hemisphere, so I have an affinity with both.
Prayers and best wishes to you all.

Snowflake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Surgery countdown

Hello SnowFlake 35

all the best for your stay in the castle.

You're nearly there, just think - this is the start of your recovery and reclaiming your health and well-being.

Pauline 41
TAH 12 November 2007

Farewell Fibroid Farm!
Unread 12-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Surgery countdown

Hi libra25,
A fellow Aussie! Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.
I am looking forward to getting my life back; the constant pain and nausea have been so debilitating. I look forward to doing things with my children again, and not having to worry if I am going to aggrivate the pain; taking it up a notch.
I hope you are recovering well, and still receiving the pampering you deserve.

Snowflake
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Surgery countdown

Hi Snowflake

it's three weeks today since my surgery. I had a TAH, and must admit that it has been hard work - but I expected that.

My recovery is coming along nicely - I can now even dry my own toes, and am completely off the painkillers. You will have good and not so good days, but do remember take it easy. Just rest, rest, rest.

I haven't done any housework, cooking or cleaning since my op - DH has taken care of everything, as well as me. Make sure your DH does the same.

Pauline 41
TAH 12 November 2007

Farewell Fibroid Farm!
Unread 12-02-2007, 04:33 PM
Surgery countdown

Hi libra25, (May I call you Pauline?)
So pleased you can dry your toes; what a sense of achievement you must feel. I daresay you have been apprehensively working up to it?
I know there are going to be highs and lows, but I am hoping for more highs. After what seemed like an eternity of crying and apprehension; not so much for the actual surgery itself, but some post-op concerns I have had; I seem to have found a place of calm...peace. I have let go, and have faith in God to see me through this.
My DH, bless his little cotton socks, can't cook, and housework is not his forte either; but he has taken 6 weeks off work to look after me and the kids. I am going to prepare some meals today and first thing in the morning, so he doesn't have to cook; as to the cleaning...hehehe...whatever gets done, gets done.
He has ordered me to take things easy so as to not undo the dr's good work. I can tell you already, I cannot wait for clearance to drive; I have psychological cabin fever just thinking about being confined for two weeks, and relying on him to take me places...lol...no more walks or drives in solitude.
I am pleased you have a wonderful husband who is prepared to look after you. I feel for the ladies doing this with little to no support from their loved ones.
Best wishes

Snowflake (Shari)
Unread 12-02-2007, 04:57 PM
Update

Just found out my surgery will be after 1pm...not sure exactly when, but I am allowed to have tea and toast prior to 7am.
All surgeries are done in the Day Surgery Unit of the private hospital, so no visitors will be permitted whilst waiting, because the waiting area is part of the surgical area. I will not be back to my room before 5pm; and I am not expecting to be awake when my husband and children pop in, before going to the SES (State Emergency Service) family BBQ at 7pm.
When I first realized the two events coincided, DH said he wasn't going to go, but I told him it would be good for both him and the kids...better to be off doing that than sitting there watching me in an unconscious state or drug induced stupor, if I was awake. He and the kids have told me they are going to come in and give me a kiss before they go, even if I am asleep. So sweet. I just hope I am back in my room when they come by; I don't want the kids to worry.

LOL...it seems I have rambling down to a fine art...sorry.

Snowflake
Unread 12-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Surgery countdown

Snowflake- It sounds like you have a wonderful dh to take care of you. I was beginning to think that I was the only one that had to wait till the day before for surgery time. That is good that they will at least let you have toast and tea. Best of luck to you tomorrow! I hope that you have a quick and easy recovery.
Unread 12-02-2007, 08:53 PM
Surgery countdown

Good luck with everything, (((Snowflake))). Before you know it, you'll be on the other side and on your way to feeling like a new person!
Unread 12-03-2007, 09:03 AM
Surgery countdown

I'm thinking of you and wishing you all the best!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register