Keep or remove Uterus and Left Ovary? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keep or remove Uterus and Left Ovary? Keep or remove Uterus and Left Ovary?

Unread 11-03-2016, 08:34 AM
Keep or remove Uterus and Left Ovary?

Hello ladies,

I’m 32, single, with no kids and about to have a hysterectomy. I have no date set, however, I just had my biopsy done Monday and we are just going through the last round of testing to make sure there is no cancer. So I expect to have my surgery within the next 4 weeks or once the results of my biopsy comes back. Around September of last year I had found out that I had a very large cyst on my right ovary and had it removed along with part of my ovary. I also had the Leep procedure done since I had tested positive for HPV and cervical cancer. Turns out, I never had HPV or cervical cancer but instead have Stage 3 Endometriosis, with multiple cysts everywhere including on my lower belly. Well I did all the right things since to help shrink the endo, cysts, and now fibroids. But I’m still not well and now its time for more surgery.

So here is my issue. My doctor and I already decided its time to completely remove my cervix, as its only a nuisance to have so many false positive cancer results. So it has to be removed, personally I’m tired of being a lab rat, since I have to get retested every 2-3 months, its disgusting and it hurts. So I’m done with that. Will be happy when its gone. Then since I had part of my right ovary removed, all I have had is trouble with cysts still growing on it so we are removing that. We also decided to remove the small fibroids that the hormone medication gave me along with all the endometriosis in my pelvic area. We also decided to remove the cysts and endo on my lower belly. She will also try to remove the cyst on my left ovary and remove the scar tissue.

Now here is my question, we are so unsure if I should keep my left ovary and Uterus, or remove them. Personally, I was thinking of just letting fate decide, when she opens me and if things are that badly damaged just get rid of them. What do all you ladies have to say, we have the rest figured out, and I’m perfectly happy with adopting, so no worries about not being a natural mother. Right now its all about preventing endo cancer and having my life back. Personally I can’t decide, I know this is long. But do I keep my left ovary and uterus, or should I just play it safe and remove them. From what I’m told the endo could come back either way, so really, should I just leave it up to fate?

Thanks ladies,
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
P.S. My doctor really wants me to consider keeping at least 1 ovary so that when I’m ready to date again, I will have better odds of having a full love life. It should also help restore the hormonal imbalance the caused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2016, 01:45 PM
Re: Keep or remove Uterus and Left Ovary?

I'm not sure it's even possible to remove your cervix without also removing your uterus, since the cervix is technically the lower portion of your uterus and attaches to your vagina. Are you sure you understood your doctor correctly?

Re your ovary... at age 32, unless there is a dire need to remove all or any portion of it, I would try to keep it so you don't go into early menopause.
Unread 11-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Re: Keep or remove Uterus and Left Ovary?

Sorry, I wrote that wrong. I want my Uterus removed. However, all we are trying to decide is to keep my ovary or not. I want more reasons for keeping it. It has been giving me so many problems, I'm afraid that if I keep any part of me reproductive system that the endo will come back 10x worse. If I remove everything, it may provide me with a few healthy years before things come back. So for me, I'm having a hard time deciding is keeping an ovary worth or not. Thanks for the reply. Just wondering if any ladies had success with keeping an ovary, or did the endo come back right away?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register