Hair and Vision Issues Since Surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hair and Vision Issues Since Surgery Hair and Vision Issues Since Surgery

Unread 11-08-2006, 07:44 PM
Hair and Vision Issues Since Surgery

Has anyone else noticed changes in their hair and vision? The past couple mornings I've had a terrible time trying to get my hair to curl. I can use the curling iron and my hair just goes straight. Also noticed my vision is more blurred. I haven't had my eyes checked for a couple years....so made an appointment today for Dec. 5th. Could hysterectomy cause such changes in hair and vision? Also, besides my "whoo-hoo" being dry, my hands, hair, and eyes are extremely dry. I tried Replens the other day for the "whoo-hoo" dryness, and am using Refresh for the eyes. Not sure what to do about the hair. Ahhhh the joys of instant menopause.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2006, 08:25 PM
Hair, Vision and Skin issues

Hi I too notice a difference in my vision being worse since my sugery. My skin is terribly dry and my underarms and breast hurt. At first my skin on my underarms would feel like it is tearing. I had my surgery October 20 and I am getting better each day. My legs kill me to walk sometimes but I am hoping that in time this will all change. I to had endo, cysts, fibroids and a small intestine resection, so I was a mess. Thank Heavens that is over. My mind is however in its best state in years. I felt like my brain was all jumbled up for a long time.
Unread 11-08-2006, 09:48 PM

I've noticed my skin is really dry and my hair seems to have a mind of it's own now. I haven't tried to do anything with my hair yet so I really can't help you there. Hope your eye appointment goes well for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2006, 06:10 AM

littlesister,
some thoughts are that it could be stress related - also could be hormones - - have you had your thyroid checked lately? my hair started falling out and lost it's luster before my surgery - - i wrote it off to hormones and the endo/cysts or the hair color i'd used, but then someone suggested my thyroid be checked and it was underactive - hypothyroid... don't know that it'd affect vision - haven't heard that one - - i do know that my eyes "went" after the birth of my 2nd when I was 37 - hormones/age/stress?? who knows!
Unread 11-09-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilv2so6
...My mind is however in its best state in years. I felt like my brain was all jumbled up for a long time.
I know how you feel. I feel so "free" now! My brain has been a wreck for quite some time. Have been on anti depressants/anti anxiety meds off and on for about six years. I am happy to say that as of last night, I am completely Effexor free. I took Effexor for anxiety mainly. Had terrible mood swings, anger, anxiety, nervousness, etc. I am now free of all that at this time. I am hoping that it doesn't come back. I am quite confident it won't. My GYN also says that my "female issues" and hormonal imbalances could have been the cause. I feel great!
Unread 11-09-2006, 09:27 PM

Well could you all share some wonderful brain waves with me? I think mine was sucked out with my uterus!
I have the dryest skin I have ever had, but the absolute greasiest hair ever. I have to wash it every day now, I used to go every other day or even 3 days between washes. It is gross by night time sometimes. Ick! As for my vision, I was not doing real great in that area before, so I am not sure if there has been a significant change. I do need new contacts though.
Unread 11-09-2006, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianne64
littlesister,
some thoughts are that it could be stress related - also could be hormones - - have you had your thyroid checked lately? my hair started falling out and lost it's luster before my surgery - - i wrote it off to hormones and the endo/cysts or the hair color i'd used, but then someone suggested my thyroid be checked and it was underactive - hypothyroid... don't know that it'd affect vision - haven't heard that one - - i do know that my eyes "went" after the birth of my 2nd when I was 37 - hormones/age/stress?? who knows!
Marianne....I've not had my thyroid tested for a few months. But it has been normal in the past. I don't think it's stress....haven't had stress lately like I did before surgery. I'm thinking it's just another one of those things chalked up to "instant menopause". Who knows, though. Thanks for the input. I'll definately keep it in mind about the thyroid.
Unread 11-09-2006, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winn1159
I've noticed my skin is really dry and my hair seems to have a mind of it's own now. I haven't tried to do anything with my hair yet so I really can't help you there. Hope your eye appointment goes well for you.
I got my hair cut today and asked my beautician about the hair issues. She said that anethesia can affect it, too. So that's a possibility. I'm interested in what the eye doc will have to say when I see him in Dec.
Unread 11-09-2006, 10:48 PM

Had a TAH on Oct. 12th and I have noticed in the last week that my eyes are dry and burning especially in the evening. Didn't even think to relate it to the hysterectomy. Got me thinking now.
Unread 11-09-2006, 10:51 PM

PS try using patene intensive restoration conditioner for you hair...use just a little...it works well for me. oops hope thats allowed!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register