TAH Excruciating nerve pain in left thigh post hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Excruciating nerve pain in left thigh post hysterectomy Excruciating nerve pain in left thigh post hysterectomy

Unread 09-30-2016, 07:18 PM
Excruciating nerve pain in left thigh post hysterectomy

Hi all

My name is Jodie. Hope your recovery is going smoothly. Mine has been a little rocky. I had a TAH last Thursday 22nd. Unfortunately, the surgeon accidentally pierced my bladder but the repair was good according to the Drs. Due to that I had an extended hospital stay with a catheter in for a week?! So I'm home now but with a UTI. So not feeling as up to walking around as much because my body is extra tired recovering from UTI as well as surgery.
Straight after surgery I had a really sore/burning/stinging sensation running from my pubic area on my left hand side down the inside of my thigh. If I move my leg the wrong way it can be absolutely excruciating... like I have a deep cut in my leg and 20 knives are stabbing into it. While resting it just has a burning like sensation. My Ob/Gyn said it's nerve irritation and it should get better. I may be a little impatient but it hasn't seemed to have healed much at all. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how they dealt with it? How long did it take to heal? Sending healing thoughts and love to all.
PS. So glad to be home!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-01-2016, 02:47 AM
Re: Excruciating nerve pain in left thigh

Hi there, Sorry youve had some obstacles on top of this surgery...Do talk to your Dr to confirm its not DVT bc thats an emergency... If it is a nerve, that may take time. I didnt have a burning sensation but I had a tender area run down the inside of my right thigh & my leg would shake when Id sit or go to bathroom.... It took 5 weeks for it to subside. Feel better!
Unread 10-02-2016, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LailaStar View Post
Hi there, Sorry youve had some obstacles on top of this surgery...Do talk to your Dr to confirm its not DVT bc thats an emergency... If it is a nerve, that may take time. I didnt have a burning sensation but I had a tender area run down the inside of my right thigh & my leg would shake when Id sit or go to bathroom.... It took 5 weeks for it to subside. Feel better!
Thanks! Definitely not DVT as I was given a stinging inject for blood thinner every night. From what I've researched on the net it does sound like damaged nerves. I only hope that it does eventually go away. Some internet info is a bit scary to read suggesting that it may never go away or it might take a year? Ergh. Might just go and get it checked by my GP as I need other prescriptions filled. Hope you're doing well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-02-2016, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodestar71 View Post
Thanks! Definitely not DVT as I was given a stinging inject for blood thinner every night. From what I've researched on the net it does sound like damaged nerves. I only hope that it does eventually go away. Some internet info is a bit scary to read suggesting that it may never go away or it might take a year? Ergh. Might just go and get it checked by my GP as I need other prescriptions filled. Hope you're doing well.
Jodestar, Well thank goodness no DVT. I wasnt given blood thinners, so during my recovery I was nervous in the early weeks. Post op there tends to be inflammation & once that subsides things tend to improve. For me at week 5, I had noticed some swelling on my abs had improved, bladder & nerve felt better. So really I no longer have issues. Just at times Ill get fatigue hit & some swelling if Ive worked out alot. I hope you have a smooth recovery.
Unread 10-02-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LailaStar View Post
Jodestar, Well thank goodness no DVT. I wasnt given blood thinners, so during my recovery I was nervous in the early weeks. Post op there tends to be inflammation & once that subsides things tend to improve. For me at week 5, I had noticed some swelling on my abs had improved, bladder & nerve felt better. So really I no longer have issues. Just at times Ill get fatigue hit & some swelling if Ive worked out alot. I hope you have a smooth recovery.
The hospital I was in were BIG on keeping DVT at bay. I came out the theatre with not only TED stockings but pump massagers on my calfs that would automatically massage each leg every few minutes. I had those on for the first few days. Today I managed to walk around the house a load more so I'm feeling a bit better. Hopefully the nerve pain will get better over time too. Thanks again for your reply. There's so many things to worry about after this surgery. I think things will be smoother from here on in! Fingers crossed.
Unread 10-02-2016, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodestar71 View Post
The hospital I was in were BIG on keeping DVT at bay. I came out the theatre with not only TED stockings but pump massagers on my calfs that would automatically massage each leg every few minutes. I had those on for the first few days. Today I managed to walk around the house a load more so I'm feeling a bit better. Hopefully the nerve pain will get better over time too. Thanks again for your reply. There's so many things to worry about after this surgery. I think things will be smoother from here on in! Fingers crossed.
This recovery is a slow process with inching forward & back but slowly getting there. Im sure all will feel much better in just a few weeks. Im familiar w the compression stockings & boots. I was attached to them in the hospital when I coughed & suddenly jumped up in the middle of the hospital bed.. Well after tripping bc I was hooked up to those boots. That was day 2, so I decided to keep walking frequently everyday. Take care!!!
Unread 10-02-2016, 08:30 PM
Re: Excruciating nerve pain in left thigh post hysterectomy

I had something similar. I would be doing nothing, sitting on the couch, recliner up, jyst watching tv and suddenly a searing pain down my leg. I had it for about 4 days before my 2 week follow up. My gyn said same thing probably just nerve tenderness but, by her own admission, she is OCD about getting stuff like that checked. I went for a test, just an ultrasound of my veins nothing invasive or painful at all. The girl that performed the test said she could not give me results, that had to come from the radiologist. But she said if she saw any blood clots I would not be leaving the hospital... Have a nice afternoon. So I knew I was in the clear for that. But it still hurt. I would say it lasted about 5 to 7 more days. Then gone. I've had no pain like that in weeks! I'm sure it is nerve for you too... And I'm sure it will ease and then just disappear. But don't be afraid to call your doctor and ask!!! That's what they are there for.
Unread 10-02-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacieWI View Post
I had something similar. I would be doing nothing, sitting on the couch, recliner up, jyst watching tv and suddenly a searing pain down my leg. I had it for about 4 days before my 2 week follow up. My gyn said same thing probably just nerve tenderness but, by her own admission, she is OCD about getting stuff like that checked. I went for a test, just an ultrasound of my veins nothing invasive or painful at all. The girl that performed the test said she could not give me results, that had to come from the radiologist. But she said if she saw any blood clots I would not be leaving the hospital... Have a nice afternoon. So I knew I was in the clear for that. But it still hurt. I would say it lasted about 5 to 7 more days. Then gone. I've had no pain like that in weeks! I'm sure it is nerve for you too... And I'm sure it will ease and then just disappear. But don't be afraid to call your doctor and ask!!! That's what they are there for.
Thanks MacieWI
Might just get it checked. It has slowly been getting better but is still super annoying. Now I'm having bowel issues. Went from constipated to the opposite... propably because I'm on antibiotics for the UTI still. I'm feeling like I can't cop a break, so I've taken some probiotics and gone to bed. Public holiday here today so I'll check in to the Dr tomoz. Hope you're doing well!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register