Anyone on Depo prior to Hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone on Depo prior to Hysterectomy? Anyone on Depo prior to Hysterectomy?

Unread 08-24-2004, 08:26 PM
Anyone on Depo prior to Hysterectomy?

I have been on Depo Provera for the past year, much longer than I wanted to be. It started out to be a positive experience, but has not ended that way.

After suffering for for 30 years with menstrual pain, I had an endometrial ablation in 2000 which was wonderful for about a year. I never bled again but my cramps are the worst they've ever been. I have taken oodles of naproxen, ibuprophen and narcotics and now have decided a hysterectomy is my last resort.

Dr. has done lap, sonograms, and no fibroids are present.

Any feedback, similar experiences, etc?

Surgery is scheduled for 9/7. I have to say, like most others, I have a little anxiety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-24-2004, 10:36 PM

I was on Depo Provera for about five months in an attempt to stop or slow my bleeding. I was put on an unusually high dose (300mg instead of 150, once a month instead of once every three months).

My doc hoped that this heavy dose would stop my periods altogether since I invariably hemmhoraged every time (degenerative fibroid). She hoped that I could go to the regular dosage after 2-4 months.

It worked pretty well in the beginning but then I started bleeding again and bleeding with a vengance, unpredictably. My final period was so heavy that I truly feared I might bleed to death. I was scheduled for a TAH very shortly thereafter.

I really wanted to avoid a hyst if possible but I was not happy being on such a heavy dose of a synthetic hormone, either. In the end, I'm pretty happy that I chose a more permanent solution.

Be sure to move and stand and walk as much as possible (and certainly as much as they tell you to) and as soon as possible following surgery. That will make the biggest difference in how quickly you start to recover and feel well. It's not easy to turn and change positions and haul yourself out of the bed at first but the effort will more that compensate you in speedy healing and a sense of fully contributing to your recovery.

My very best wishes to you.
Unread 08-25-2004, 05:06 AM

I was on Depro for the past year and it started out being a wonderful thing for ohhh about 3 months then I started having a three week cycle every three months then 9 months after starting to take this lovely stuff that doesn't work for everybody I started having 3 month cycles which did not help the situation I had to quit work and take lots of icky iron pills and drink lots of stuff to help me go. After the first full month of the bleeding and pain I had to make an appt with a gyn which was a two month wait to get in. I went and saw her and she told me that she couldn't decide between an ablation or a hysterectomy. Then she told me she didn't want to mess up my hair by turning it grey or get this mess up my skin. I told her I was a hair dresser and I didn't care about the hair or skin I've been dealing with this since I was 18 now 30 and I wanted something done about it. Needless to say I changed doctors because she couldn't make up her mind and I think she was unexperienced and didn't want to help. I now have a wonderful doctor who is like an angel He is so wonderful. He hates to let his patients to be in pain and he treats each patient as if she is a Princess . His nurse is so wonderfull also she will be there for the surgery too. I'm nervous about it but I'm so grateful at the same time

Kassie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-25-2004, 08:33 PM

Thank you both for your stories and support. I must say I feel for you both regarding the bleeding. Having my ablation seemed to fix that part of my problem. Best to you Thunderdog on your upcoming surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register