Don't get mad, but am I unique?? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Don't get mad, but am I unique?? Don't get mad, but am I unique??

Unread 03-03-2005, 04:33 AM
Don't get mad, but am I unique??

As the others have said, you're NOT alone.I had a Tubal in 2000, so I do not want any more children either.(I have 4) My Gyn and I have tried the HRT, and BCP not luck.He mentioned what we could try next and I said I want it OVER.He then said "you just want to do the surgury?" YEP SURE DO. I am tired of being tired,blood all over, clots so big you feel as though everything is about to fall out with them,and 2-3 periods a month.I go in for my Pre-Op on March 10 and I'm soooooooo looking forward to the day of surgury.Yes, I'm scared,but also thankful the end is in sight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2005, 06:02 AM

I am part of the happy club too. Like you, I have 2 kids by c-section, and 2 soon-to-be stepkids. My tubes have been tied for 7 years now.

This last just over a year has been horrible with periods every 2 to 3 weeks, constant mood swings, and anemia, and overall horrible period pain. I am just over 4 weeks post-op and I feel great! It was the best decision that I ever made. I'm not spotting or anything now. It's been 7 weeks since my last period and I love it! I actually think that I feel sexier now that I finally feel so good. I was afraid that I would loose my "womaness" by having a hyst, but I haven't.

Unread 03-03-2005, 06:32 AM

Hi, I didn't feel a big loss and also wasn't really looking forward to my hyst. It was just something that needed to be done. I had not had a lot of pain or problems, if I had maybe I'd have felt differently. My dr found cervical polyps that led to tests that revealed precancerous uterine tumors. Also, at 54, I KNEW that I was done with having kiddos.

The emotions going into this surgery seem to vary as much as the reasons for needing it.

Best wishes.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-03-2005, 06:47 AM

I might be one of the few who stands towards the middle, but certainly closer to the "HOORAH" side of the pack.

Let there be no doubt I am delighted to have had my surgery, although I didn't really have the option to say yes or no -- it was a matter of life and death. But what woman in their right mind would want a monthly visit from Aunt Flo? HA! I consider my hyst. one of the most liberating experiences of my life!

On the other hand, I never had the chance to have children and obviously can't now. But I don't dwell on it or make a big deal about it. That's life. And my thoughts... move on and get run over.
Unread 03-03-2005, 07:07 AM

I'm certainly not mourning the loss of my uterus - but it's the process of getting rid of that I don't want! I'm like Melissa - I don't have an option, as I also have precancerous cells that are requiring my TAH/BSO. I truly believe that in my case, an MEA (microwave endometrial ablation) would have solved my bleeding issues and I would have only had 2-3 days recovery instead of 4-6 weeks. But that silly biopsy has changed my plans!

Whether you have this procedure done vaginally or abdominally, it's not a cake walk and that's what has me in a tizzy. I have other things I'd rather be doing than spending 2 weeks or more in bed.

Bonnie
TAH/BSO scheduled for 3/10/05
Unread 03-03-2005, 07:21 AM
Another satisfied customer

I can't remember how many times I asked my doctor at my annual check-ups if hysterectomies were elective surgery yet. He would always laugh. When I finally had enough complaints (fibroids and a cyst on an ovary) to justify the surgery, I was relieved.

On the way home from the doctor's, the day he said I needed a TAH, I started crying. My husband was so confused. He said "you have been begging for this surgery for years." It was true, but I was still a little scared to go through with it. I had never had surgery. I was excited about the prospect of never having the periods, and all the other stuff that went with them, PMS, cramps, flooding, back ache, etc. etc. But I was scared of the actual surgery and recovery.

Now, nearly three years later, I realize those few days were such a small price to pay for the wonderful way I feel now! Not a bit of problems for me and I only wish I had been able to convince a doctor to do it years earlier!
Unread 03-03-2005, 10:24 AM
Not unique

You are not alone! I had a Tubal 5 years ago and now I am having a hyst on 3/30/05 and I can't wait! No more Aunt Flo, no more planning camping trips around Aunt Flo! My only concern is the abdominal surgery. I had my daughter vaginally 8+ years ago so I haven't ever had any other kind of surgery! I am worried about the pain at the incision area and loss of muscle from the cut!
Unread 03-03-2005, 10:25 AM

I'm kind of in the middle - looking forward to having over with - but not really wanting the surgery. I'm 48 and have 3 kids - have told my GYN that if I get preg again lock me up in a padded room!!! For me it was a shock that I need this, but after a couple of week - I'm ok with it.

jas
Unread 03-03-2005, 10:35 AM

My son reminded me that I threatened to give myself a hysterectomy if I had one more painful visit from Aunt Flo!! He had to remind me because I hadn't had any periods for over a year and thought I'd sailed through menopause when my yearly PAP revealed what eventually led to surgery. Count me among those happy sisters, especially since my condition turned out to be the very beginnings of cancer, and now it's GONE!!
Unread 03-03-2005, 01:26 PM

Hey JLOF....do you not have the Laproscopic option for your surgery? Just wondered as I am doing the LAVH and barring any unforeseen complications will only have the 3 small incisions..

Thanks for all the replies!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register