Help Ladies! Packing for the Castle | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help Ladies!  Packing for the Castle Help Ladies! Packing for the Castle

Unread 03-05-2005, 04:12 AM
Help Ladies! Packing for the Castle

Okay, here are my questions. I have read on the boards to buy oversize cotten bloomers, but according to other posts tummy control ones. Should I just have some of both?? P.J.'s is a night shirt better than my normal flannel bottoms with a t-shirt or sweatshirt?? Any other ideas of what will make my castle time better? Will be there for two days for TAH. Anyone read any good books lately???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2005, 04:51 AM

Hi there!

Comfort is the big key. :key:

Whatever you feel comfortable in, that's what to have on hand. The larger panties are for comfort; there may be some swelling and your normal size may not fit well. You may consider having some panty liners on hand, too -- there may be a little spotting and post surgery discharge, and besides that, I used panty liners to place over my incision to keep the drainage from it from getting on my panties.

I stuck with night shirts/gowns as opposed to anything with pants just because that is what was comfortable to me.

I took something to read to the hospital, but I found that I was snoozing every 10 minutes while there, and I found that I was not the least interested in reading anything; somehow I just couldn't concentrate on anything to read. I never even took it out of my bag.

I did bring a backscratcher which really came in handy.

Lip balm was nice to have too -- my lips got dry.

Best wishes as you approach the castle!

Unread 03-05-2005, 05:20 AM

I found night gowns were better. CHAPstick a must. Brought all my own personal items even though they had stuff there . Their toothbrush was like brushing my teeth with a wire bbq brush. Had DH bring up my satchel the following morning. I was not experiencing any type of discharge and still 18 days out find it more comfy with no underwear. I am still wearing a binder. Control top panties will be similar I gather. I opted to bring sweats and baggy sweatshirts to the castle. Its cold and snowy here. A robe, and lots of socks. I am not a slipper girl. ONE thing was my favorite body lotion. I rubbed my feet & legs as far as I could reach. Moisturizer for my face. Not only did the scent of these things give me the reminder of home but it also made me feel like I was pampering myself. Best of luck to you!!! and remember WALK WALK WAlk!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-05-2005, 07:30 AM

The only thing I can add is a CD player with good earphones. Castles are noisy, and I also had a roomate who would have 10 visitors in her room at a time for several hours it seemed. I could put those headphones on with quiet comforting music and sleep through anything.

I agree that the reading material and even word puzzles or thinking games I brought were just extra baggage. The meds made it impossible for me to concentrate. I couldn't even watch tv because I couldn't follow what was going on.

Good luck
Kay
Unread 03-05-2005, 08:32 AM

I was in for 3 days.....i wore the hospital gowns because if you have an IV ...........cant wear your own.............AMEN on the CHAPSTICK(i even took diffrent flavors).........i wore the same clothes home i arrived in because i only had them on for an hour before the surgery....sweats and sweat shirt..........i usually wear a size 7 in undies .....i bought a size 10 (cause they were pretty) it worked. ..... i also had to wear Teds (hospital stockings) til i got home...because of circulation.....i had a private room(my dr's orders) so i watched tv between sleeping and i read the "WATCHERS" by Dean Knootz..............LOVED IT!!! kinda scary though.

Hope this helps

Tess
Unread 03-05-2005, 09:54 AM

Thanks puplover - I was just making out my list for the hospital and needed your post! I go in Tuesday!
Unread 03-05-2005, 10:13 AM

Ditto, wore the hospital gown. Put on my own robe when the IV was removed didn't bother with the night shirt I brought. Brought a hand held game, no book just magazines, didn't want to read anything involved. Nose spray may come in handy. I wore their mesh panties until I dressed to leave. ( those boy cut things aren't that bad, may have to try them later) I brought my own pads because the hopital stuff is usually those cheapo things and they were.
Unread 03-05-2005, 12:03 PM

pillow!!! I took my own pillow, and it was nice to have.
chapstick, a must. Body lotion, yes. Anything that will help you stay moist,lol... it is so dry in a hospital. My castle provided alittle bottle of keri lotion. It was nice. A robe is good. also, I brought slippers and socks, but never wore them. They give you the socks that have the grips on the bottom, I felt safer in them, as I was strolling down the hallway.
good luck, and walk and drink alot of water and juice!!
Unread 03-05-2005, 12:38 PM

I got nightgowns with no sleeves, easier with IV. And a great book that I have been reading is by Mitch Albom The Five People You Meet In Heaven. I had started it before visit to Castle, but I was'nt able to focus on the words due to the morphine drip.

Not sure what your Castle's policy is on cell phone's but mine was a god send! Nurse's even set up the charger and tied it to the bed rail so it was always in reach. Was able to keep in contact with my children which made me feel so much better.

My tummy swelled and sent family out to get very extra large panites which have kept the pressure off of my tummy and am still using the 8 days out.

Wishing you the very best and big hugsss

Katilynn
Unread 03-05-2005, 01:30 PM

puplover

I had my TAH/BSO last week & was in Castle fri. a.m. to mon. p.m.

I saw you're having a TVH but bending over was (and still is) no fun for me. In Castle, it was about a 20 minute acrobatic act for me to get underwear on WITHOUT help. I got larger cotton ones but I used the mesh & cotton ones the Castle gave me the entire time. You might want to re-think socks unless you have someone who will be there to put them on AND take off if you get warm. I don't care for slippers normally, but picked up some inexpensive slip-on ones at WalMart, so I could get up and walk the halls when I felt like walking - not waiting for nurse or whoever.

Every Castle is different, so here's what I brought and did/did NOT use. Hope this helps...

My Castle is ALL private rooms (really small but didn't have to worry about accomodating someone else with t.v., etc.)

Toiletries - #1. CHAP STICK (I brought a few & was glad as a couple of 'em somehow rolled off the cart, under my bed while I was dopey on morphine...I also 'lost' the t.v. remote in the covers for a day, which even mystified the nurses )

-toothbrush/travel toothpaste-my Castle did NOT supply these

-travel bottle of body wash - my Castle only had the foam stuff in the soap dispenser

-small bottle body LOTION (I used Lavender for calming effect!)

-hairbrush/comb/travel shampoo (I did not get to shower due to medical reason but was prepared w/soap & shampoo)

- deodorant

-Panti-liners/Pads - my Castle DID supply a package of these

- robe & sleeveless nightgown & slippers - I used the hospital nightgown at first, then my own.
***FYI - I wasn't allowed to walk halls until I.V. came out-just sit in a chair, but I had to walk with catheter in almost the entire time & felt more comfortable doing so with my own robe on, even over the hospital gown, to cover my backside!

- book/mags - did NOT look at. Too dopey/sleepy.
-t.v. - I couldn't tell you WHAT I watched

- My Castle HAS dvd/vcr/cd players built in. Did not know that at first. DS brought a few cd's (& a dvd which I slept through!) A walkman or small cd player would be good if you're sharing room.

- Mint Tea. Someone had posted here about mint tea for gas. IT WAS A GODSEND. I brought some packets of peppermint tea & was glad I did as my Castle only had "herbal" green tea.

- TUMMY PILLOW. (my new 'best friend')

- change of clothing for going home. *don't forget shoes!

I took my things with, left them in the car & dh brought them into the Castle once I was assigned a room. My 1st request was: CHAPSTICK.

Take care.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register