prehysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

prehysterectomy prehysterectomy

Unread 05-15-2001, 08:24 PM
prehysterectomy

I am 34 and scheduled for my hysterectomy on June 7th and am terrified of the outcome. I know the post surgical feeling has got to be better than what I am going through right now, but I can't help but feel that I am making a terrible mistake. I am frightened of the outcome "sexually" after the surgery. I am frightened if my ovaries are left, that I will still battle PMS. Someone, anyone, please relieve my fears. I have had problems since I began menstruating at 11, and have become accustomed to pain killers, but have never been able to deal with everything else that goes along with my problems. I have a condition called adenomyosis, along with endometriosis, and suffer quite a bit of pain each and every month. I was told a hysterectomy was my only option, but still feel a bit apprehensive about the procedure at the age of 34. Any input anyone can give me would be welcome. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2001, 08:50 PM
prehysterectomy

Hi helniles Welcome to Hyster Sisters.

Believe me, it's quite normal to be apprehensive and concerned when you're about to have this very MAJOR surgery. I sure was and so are a lot of

For me, sex since my surgery has been a pleasant surprise: it's grrreat. From what I've read on this site, this appears to be the case for the majority of women.

I kept my ovaries and they are working. I DO have PMS symptoms. Even though they're not pleasant, they only last a few days out of the month, which, for me, compares favorably with the endless bleeding I had to contend with Pre-Op.

I can't help you with the endo and adeno questions, since I had my hyst for fibroids and rectocele, but I'm sure someone will come along soon with some knowledge. If you do a "Search" on "Adeno" and "Endo", you will find that these subjects are discussed often.

If you have any doubts as to the decision you have made, ask for a second or third opinion. You might also want to visit the Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives message board where you might find questions to your answers.

You will hear this often, and it is true: the wait is the worst part.

Best of luck in your question for answers
Unread 05-15-2001, 08:50 PM
prehysterectomy

Hi
I am 36 and am only two weeks post-op, but I feel much better already. I was diagnosed with fibroids and suspected adenomyosis. My uterus was a 16 week size. I no longer have the constant pain I used to have. My ovaries were left in and I already have my libido back(I can't wait until I am released for sex, but for right now there are alternatives ) I hope your surgery goes OK and everything will return to a new "normal" for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-15-2001, 09:33 PM
Hi helniles

I have some adeno and endo links I will add here for you. I always had painful and long cycles also. I did not have my hyst for adeno, but my path report came back confirming adeno. It all made sense when I saw the diagnosis.

I had a TAH/BSO...no ovaries. I cannot take HRT so I am doing the natural way...vit e, flax seed, calcium and magnesium...to name a few. I feel great! I can tell you that for me...sex is even better! It could hardly get worse as I was bleeding for 10 months before surgery. I was very surprised however...more sensations than before surgery! I think that old cervix just got in the way before.

http://my.webmd.com/content/asset/ad...ase_adenomyoma

http://www.newshe.com/

http://www.endometriosisassn.org/

http://www.endometriosis.org/

http://www.scmc.org/endo/html/question9.html

http://www.hadbai.co.uk/hysterectomy.htm

I hope some of these resources help you.

I am so glad you joined us as you journey toward health!

{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 05-15-2001, 09:47 PM
prehysterectomy

Hi, Helniles,

Now....for the rest of the story.

I'm one of those women whose sex drive went from a "10" to a "0". After 3 1/2 years, I'm back up to a whopping "2" on a good day, and a "3" if we have LOTS of time. A quckie is now something I give to my husband because I love him so much.

Only you can decide if the risks are worth it. The medical establishment "tells" us that roughly 30% of women will have a decline in their sex drive or response.

While researching this, do take the time to investigate other issues. Some of us now have high blood pressure and heart palpitations even though our blood pressure was low prior to the surgery. Estrogen plays a significant role in prevention of cardiovascular disease, and for some unexplained reason, some of us just do not respond well to hormone replacement therapy. I am at a much greater risk for heart attack or stroke now.

Just like all other surgeries that carry a degree of risk, at some point the risks of hysterectomy definitely becomes worth it. For me, I was not at that point, and regret my surgery. I was uninformed of the possible consequences.

You shouldn't have that problem since you have come to the RIGHT PLACE!

Good luck.

Joni
Unread 05-15-2001, 11:54 PM
Joni...

It is true that the uterus produces an enzyme that regulates the blood clotting factors. Most women offset this with an 80mg asprin a day, as recommended by their Dr.

I take one 325 mg asprin every other day due to blood clotting disorders that run in my family. This is moderated by my Dr. through protime blood checks. I have blood work done every 3 months.

Please speak to your Dr. about this. I hate to have you worried about heart disease when it can be helped.

My grandmother had a hysterectomy at the age of 50 for uterine cancer. She never took HRT. Her surgery was in 1942 and there was very little known about the effects of this surgery on women. She died at the age of 102!

There is also lots of help for diminished sex drive. One of the sisters here has been helped by Estroven..an over the counter herbal product sold at drugstores and Walmart. They have a website...www.estroven.com.

The Hormone Jungle has lots of suggestions and information to aid in low libido also.

I urge you to explore these options. If your Dr. does not seem to be helping, please find another Dr. Many sisters have gone through a few changes in physicans before they found one that helped. For me, my primary care Dr. had helped me tremendously.

Wishing you a journey toward health!

{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 05-16-2001, 06:22 AM
prehysterectomy

Dear Kaatie,

I want to thank you so much for the reply and good advice. Yes, a lot of women in the past never went on HRT a day in their lives, and countless of them probably died of cardiovascular related diseases earlier than necessary. If my NOW high blood pressure went untreated there's a distinct possibility I could join their ranks.

I don't want to get into my whole situation again, and drag out another long discussion on this thread, since I only posted to point out that some have not-so-favorable outcomes EVEN after three doctors and countless HRT combinations. I can't even remember all I've been on, but suffice it to say that I've tried estroven. In fact, I still take it.

Blessings.
Joni
Unread 05-16-2001, 06:24 AM
prehysterectomy

P.S. to Kaatie,

Thanks for giving me the heads up about Wall mart! I'm sure it's cheaper there!

Joni
Unread 05-16-2001, 07:26 AM
prehysterectomy

I am due for a TLH/Bladder Tack (sp?) on june 8th. I too am scared of the sexual side effects. My husband and I enjoy our sex life very much (as I am sure most of you do) but heck anything has to be better than how it is now - VERY PAINFUL.. I am going to keep my ovaries (fingers crossed) but will I still need something like Estroven?
Kelly
Unread 05-16-2001, 07:49 AM
prehysterectomy

Dear Justpeachy,

If you keep your ovaries, hopefully you will be have an enjoyable sex life with your husband within a couple of months of your surgery--don't panic if it takes longer.
Don't forget that everyone's recovery is different.

There's still a chance that your ovaries will not function at their "optimum" due to the surgery (loss of blood flow?) , or that your orgasms will not be as great due to the loss of your uterus. Some women, on the other hand, have better sex after surgery.

Unfortunately, some of us have no functioning ovaries, and seem resistant to HRT.

Good luck.
Joni

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register