TAH Anxiety surrounding first post hysterectomy exam. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anxiety surrounding first post hysterectomy exam. Anxiety surrounding first post hysterectomy exam.

Unread 06-29-2016, 10:12 AM
Anxiety surrounding first post hysterectomy exam.

Having some major anxiety about my first post op exam. I am currently at two weeks recovery but will be closer to three when I have it.
My doctor is amazing so that's not where my anxiety lies-it's the realization she will probably want to do some sort of internal exam and I have not been able to do any sort of internal without the aid of Valium. Without Valium it is painful both emotionally and physically.
I'm trying not to psych myself out with it by telling myself at least I'll get my surgery reports and that helps some but is there any thing else you would suggest?

~Tater Tot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2016, 10:20 AM
Re: Anxiety surrounding first post op exam.

I had my first check-up at 3 weeks. My Gyn said it was too early to do an internal as there was so much healing going on (huge sigh of relief from me!).

We chatted about my general health and he looked at my incision - that was about it.

I was dreading my first internal exam as I have always found them very painful. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was virtually pain free! I think not having a cervix has a lot to do with how different it felt.

Try not to worry too much!

Unread 06-29-2016, 11:53 AM

I had my first post-op appointment at four weeks and my doc didn't do an internal. My surgery was for cancer, so I had a follow-up visit four *months* later. There was an internal exam at that visit. The nurse commented that they hadn't done one at four weeks because it was still too tender down there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2016, 02:12 PM

My 2 week check was mostly to go over the path report and check the incision sites. I didn't need an internal until my 6 week.
Unread 06-29-2016, 05:36 PM

Hello ladies,
Isn't it funny how different all the physicians protocols are!! I had a radical hysterectomy with lymph nodes and my first exam was at 3 weeks. He only looked with a speculum but it didn't hurt at all. I was,also nervous...I also had another speculum check with an internal exam at 4 weeks because had an episode of spotting and that didn't hurt either...it was just uncomfortable like a normal exam. Both my obgyn and gyn oncologist are very chatty so we usually are talking and joking during the whole visit so for me that takes my mind off the exam and eases my anxiety. Good luck it will be over before you know it!!
Unread 06-29-2016, 11:11 PM

Oh my goodness I have been thinking (dreading) post op checkup as well.
I had complete laparoscopic with some additional repair, including some sort or hernia, and don't want to be touched right now.
My Dr. doesn't have me scheduled till 6 weeks, at which I am sure he will do an internal.
He is amazing amd gentle, and sensitive to my past trauma.
You will do great, as will I.
Unread 06-30-2016, 05:21 AM

I had a post op at 2 weeks and 6 weeks. At the 2 week she checked my incision, we discussed the surgery, how I was doing, and updated restrictions. At the 6 week she did an internal exam which wasn't at all painful

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register