Do we all get shaved??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do we all get shaved??? Do we all get shaved???

Unread 06-12-2001, 07:47 AM
Do we all get shaved???

Hi everyone! I'm scheduled for my LAVH on June 18th, and have this stupid question. Does everyone get shaved when having a vaginal hysterectomy? Seems like all the little things are bothering me the closer my date comes! NERVOUS!!!!

To make matters worse, this feels like the busiest week of my life with so many things to do!! But I am anxious to get this over with. Just got back from a family vacation and couldn't swim because my period was so bad! Will be nice to be able to function without period concerns anymore!

Sorry, I'm rambling.............guess I do that when nerves set in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2001, 08:05 AM
AAHHH, shaving...

Dear Nikki,
Yes, I was shaved. EECH! Talk about embarrassing. I had a TVH and A&P repair on 6-6-01. I still haven't grown back in. My nurse was really nice about it. She told me she had been doing it for 20 years and it is a lot harder to do a man. Ha! She explained that it could cause a nasty infection if a pubic hair got inside of things and that made me a very willing participant. Relax. its not so bad when you see the benefits. It only took about 60 seconds (they have surgically sharp razors and are very skilled) and right afterwards the anesthesiologist sent the sandman my way so I didn't even have time to see the damage. Chin up! its all worth it in the end, even if it does itch a bit. Best of luck to you!
Unread 06-12-2001, 09:26 AM
Do we all get shaved???

Hi, Nikki,

Your question isn't stupid, you have every right to know what is going to happen to your body. It's a good idea to ask your doctor or one of his/her nurses what your prep will involve. My doc's office let me do my own prep, which was shaving from the pubic bone (top of the vee) to the navel and a scissor trim by the labia. This seemed like a good idea until I cut myself and had the humiliation of having to ask for a tetnus shot before going into the OR (rusty scissors ) I also *got* to give myself an enema. Good wishes and hope your doc's office will answer your questions. Janine (LAVH/BSO 3/29/01)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2001, 09:26 AM
Do we all get shaved???

Hi, Nikki,

I had a tvh 5/14 and was NOT shaved. Haven't had any problems. I go back to dr this afternoon for post-op check-up.

I know what you mean about the little things bothering you. Shaving was a question I had, but I didn't ask ahead of time. But, obviously, not every dr requires it.

Sorry you couldn't swim on your vacation. When you become a Princess, that won't be a problem anymore!
Take care - wishing you well with your surgery.
Dianne
Unread 06-12-2001, 11:09 AM
Do we all get shaved???

I don't know if my doc requires a shave or not, but it will be shaved anyway. I usually go "bald" in the summer. I don't do it myself though, I get it done by a "professional"...aka hubby.

I would ask your doctor. I'm not going to ask, I'm just going to announce it.
Unread 06-12-2001, 11:35 AM
Do we all get shaved???

I had a TVH on 5/24 and was not shaved. My DD said that shaving actually increases the risks for infection related to abrasions from razor ect!! I have had no problems and was very glad not to be shaved!!! Good Luck!!
Unread 06-12-2001, 05:05 PM
Uh Oh!!

Hope my doctor doesn't want shaving!! Last time I was shaved, I was giving birth!!!! I can distinctly remember the itching!!!
Unread 06-12-2001, 05:18 PM
Do we all get shaved???

I had a tah/bso on 6/1/01 and was shaved only on the abdominal surface after the sandman visited me. Did not know until dh saw them take the bandage off me the next day which was a big ouch.
I think the not knowing what happens is what makes you nervous but we all wish you a success at the castle and a speedy recovery.
Linda
Unread 06-12-2001, 10:39 PM
Do we all get shaved???

Shaving was part of all the forgetable stuff they did after they put me under. A good thing.
The Dr. was concerned that hairs can catch in a stitch and pull and cause a stitch to pop, or just plain pain.
The worst part has been the grow back. It's no fun, but has been the worst part of any discomfort I've had.
Unread 06-13-2001, 06:12 AM
Shaving..UGGG!

.OMG the Maquis De Sade comes in with this buzzing "thing"...lolol This whole shaving thing is a real sore spot with me. I had already shaved excatly the way the doc had said AND written on my admin papers NOT to shave me. Nurse did NOT read that and held me DOWN while I kept telling her .."read his orders!!!" I clamped my thighs together...."doc isnt going that far south nurse" I said......THEN to my absolute horror <rofl> she actually started running the shaver UP my RIBCAGE!!!! OMG..... I said "What the hell?? Doc isnt going there EITHER!"....finally the torturer left me..after I spit out a few rather colorrful words at her <weg>..lololgee..can you tell I hate that part the MOST???? roflrofl.... I think the whole shave process took about 2 mins, but it felt like 100 hours..lololol Ya know what I think?? I think those nurses that do the shaving actually used to cut hair in the military...roflroflroflrofl :-D

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register