Two opinions....scared...UPDATE | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two opinions....scared...UPDATE Two opinions....scared...UPDATE

Unread 03-12-2007, 12:55 AM
2 different opinions...scared

Hello ladies:

I am 38. My surgery date is April 6, 2007. I think anyways. It has been cancelled twice. Once because I was sick; once my doctor was sick.

Anyways, I was surfing the web to research hysterectomies and my 18 year-old son wanted to show me a video on youtube.com and I agreed. After showing me the music video, I asked my son if he thought I could find anything on hysterectomies. He told me that he was confident that I could because he thought everything could be found on this website. I typed hysterectomy in the search. I did find videos on hysterctomies as well as other female surgeries.

I was fascinated by one video in particular because it was a surgery performed on a large woman and I too am a large woman. I then e-mailed the doctor that submitted this video (he is located in CA) for some advice, doubting that I would actually get a reply. He did in fact reply; not just by e-mail, but he actually called me on the phone.

I received advice that I wasn't expecting. He very strongly advised that I do not have an AH without it being done laparascopically because of my size; he says to open me up increases the surgery risks ten fold. He says my uterus should only be removed if it absolutely needs to be; bigger than 9 cm. He also said he believed that I have endometriosis; by what I described to him that I have been going through for many years. My current OB/GYN has never even mentioned the possibility of me having endometriosis. The doctor that I found online suggested treatmentd for the endometriosis; one of which is laparascopic ablation, and another is shot therapy to treat the pain associated with endometriosis.

My problem is: I found out by asking a phone nurse that my OB/GYN does not perform laparascopic hysterectomies. I guess there is one doctor at my clinic that has done a few of them.

My doctor will be calling me tomorrow. He saves me the hour and a half trip to see him to ask a few questions. Somehow I have to tell him that I have consulted with another doctor and question him (without offending him) with these new possibilities of diagnosis.

Now I am very nervous and scared about my abdomen being opened up. I am a heavy smoker and this online doctor says smoking also increases the (anesthesia) risks another ten fold.

I am on Medicaid. I do not know of a surgeon that does laparascopic surgeries that takes Medicaid.

I do not know what I am going to do if I can't find a nearby doctor that takes Medicaid that can do my surgery lapascopically. I know I have to at least get the cysts removed from my ovaries because I can't stand the pain any longer; and again my doctor says he can't get to my ovaries vaginally and that is why he needs to open me up. I also need to know why I have so much pelvic pain even when it is not PMS time or period time.

Sometimes knowing too much information is just as bad as not knowing enough.

Needing some support,
Marsha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2007, 02:02 AM
Two opinions....scared...UPDATE

Oh stop, deep breath. I for one, being a nurse, would never have any kind of life altering surgery without seeking a second opinion. But an IN PERSON second opinion, for all you know this "md" is really some bored, out of work, gyn freak that stayed at a holiday in express last night. You want a second opinion, find one that is well known and is in your area. Most hospitals have web sites, look up the one that you are scheduled to go to and see if they can recommend another OBGYN that does hysterectomies. I am a LARGE...fabulous...but LARGE woman, mine was done TAH because my organs needed to be visualized and lymphnodes biopsied. There are many reasons why surgeries are done different, you need to get a second opinion no matter what.
Let me tell ya- I had the staples out on friday, steristrips off today and my site looks just fine. Over hang and everything. Do you have other medical issues such as diabetes or MRSA that will affect your healing?
Dont freak, just talk to your md about your fears and let me say this - NO MD WORTH HIS SALT WOULD DETER YOU FROM A SECOND OPINION. And if yours does, oh well...its not his body.
I hope I have helped you some, dont hesitate to post again, I am not an expert, I am not an MD, but I do have just enough common sense to get me throught the day, and its much easier to give advice using common sense when you are on the outside looking in.
You are on my "constant thoughts" list. Please update us.
Unread 03-12-2007, 07:35 AM

I agree that second ( or third etc.. ) opinions are good. I think that getting them in person should be more accurate also. The best type of treatment should be determined after all is discussed; some are not good candidates for some types of procedures.

Do you have a list of providers? That should have the drs that are available listed. You can call and ask also.

I think that you can never have too much information. I like to know what to expect and what my best options are.

Best wishes.

S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-12-2007, 07:48 AM

If you can find an experienced dr. that has done many laps then thats the way to go. My regular gyn would not do a lap on me because he feared adhesions from my previous c-sections. I am grateful he was honest. He did refer me to a dept head at a teaching hospital. He has been doing laps for over 15 years and very rarely converts to TAH. Anyway, it wasn't the most personal experience in the world but my recovery has been smooth. I had very little pain to deal with.

Anyway if you have a teaching hospital in your area that is where I would start. Do not be someones guinea pig. This is a very difficult procedure that requires a lot of training. Many dr.s do not have the time to train. Many dr.s are just beginning to do laps.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Sherri
Unread 03-12-2007, 07:54 AM

Although I didn't get a second opinion because my problems have been diagnosed for over 20 years by several doctors and I knew this would eventually happen, I ABSOLUTELY URGE you to get one. I suggest if there is any way to get to a hospital associated with a University DO IT. They will accept Medicaid, and use the latest technology because they are teaching new doctors. Don't worry you will be treated by someone inexperienced, this does not jeopardize your care since they are closely monitored. These hospitals don't have the carpets and art work as some, but they have very dedicated staff. Take your time, this is your body and your life. BTW I'm "fluffy" too and I'm having an abdominal incision tomorrow with my TAH-BSO, including endo treatment. I'll be praying for your wisdom and peace in this decision.
Unread 03-12-2007, 11:14 AM

Hi Marsha,

I agree. Get a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. I got two opinions myself. My first Dr. wanted to do an abdominal hyst and my 2nd Dr. recommended a laparoscopic hyst. I found out later my 1st Dr. could not do laparoscopic hysts. It does take additional medical training.

Mary
Unread 03-12-2007, 08:41 PM

Hi, I agree too. I had 3 opinions. My gyn said he doesn't do the laproscopic. The 2nd doc said he had done 16 of them and he wouldnt attempt it on me because of the size of my uterus combined with the fact that Ive had 3 c-sections (alot of scar tissue). The 3rd doc said he was confident he could do the laproscopic and there would be a slight chance he would have to convert. So I went with the 3rd guy at a University hospital. Im going to have the DaVinci procedure done (the one with robotics). I'm so scared, but try to take deep breaths and relax about it. It will be worth it, I hope!
Unread 03-13-2007, 01:52 AM

Hello Ladies:

Thanks for all the advice , support , and prayers.

I will try to contact the University of Michigan Hospital. It is a teaching hospital. I have been there before to see a orthopedist; it wasn't pretty but the doctor that was teaching did diagnose me accurately. An accurate diagnosis is cause for a celebration. That is what I am going to look up on the Web when I finish this posting.

My doctor did not call today . He has only been back to work for about a week and a half; I imagine he is very busy since all of his appointments and surgeries were cancelled for a period of three weeks. I am considering just making an appointment with him and discussing these new questions and concerns with him in person . It would probably be worth the hour and a half drive unless he shows me the door, then I will cry .

By the way the doctor that I found on youtube.com is very competent. He is not only a OB/GYN, he is also a medical director. He has awesome credentials. When I spoke to him on the phone I felt like I was speaking with a senior vs. when I speak with my doctor I feel like I am speaking with a junior high student. I know that sounds harsh. I really do like my doctor , but sometimes liking the person is not enough.

Once again thanks for all of your wonderful advice, and support.

Sending all of my love and support right back at you ! XOXOXO

Marsha
Unread 03-13-2007, 05:10 PM

Marsha - I am 37 yo and am due to have a LAVH 3/23. I have been putting this off for many years. Endometriosis and adenomyosis have been suggested, often at my asking about it. Get a second or third opinion. The doc doing my hys. has only been practicing for 5 years. She will be doing the da Vinci robotic LAVH, of which I will only be her 20th case. But I know that God is in control, and I need to step forward in faith. After a recent scare with an elevated CA-125, I want to be done with this. Best of luck. Lori <><
Unread 03-14-2007, 06:03 AM

I think getting a 2nd opinion is very wise. Heck, I got 3 and went with the 3rd.

Sherri

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register