surgery in the afternoon? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery in the afternoon? surgery in the afternoon?

Unread 09-21-2004, 09:10 PM
surgery in the afternoon?

I just got my date, 10/12/04, but it is at 2:00PM. I hate the fact that I have to not eat/drink from midnight. That will be 14 hours!

If my surgery was first thing in the AM, it would only be half that time. I don't get it. All I want is coffee at 6:00AM I have a feeling that they will tell me no.

Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks,
Liz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-21-2004, 10:08 PM

Guess what? I go in on October 12th at 2:30! I'm also concerned about not eating for such an extended period of time. I have not had my pre-op with my doctor yet, but after mentioning this to him, he said, "I may have you eat something in the morning." So for what it's worth, that's my doc's opinion.

Best of luck.
Unread 09-21-2004, 10:16 PM

You will be fine, especially if you do not have to do the diet/bowel prep thing.

I had a 2pm time too on a Tuesday, and had not had anything to eat from 7am the day BEFORE(Monday), and a non-fat, non-dairy non bread/rice/pasta day the day before that(Sunday) . Add to that taking Picolax, which induces diarrhea to empty the bowel, so I was totally empty, and feeling sick by the time I got to surgery. But I did it.

I was allowed water until 2 hours before my admission time, which was 12 noon. So maybe you can have some water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2004, 10:41 AM

LMSSoCal- Its good to know we are not alone! It seems so far away, doesn't it?

I suffer with an 11cm. cyst on my left ovary, heavy bleeding and anemia. I'm hoping to save my right ovary and cervix. My surgery will be abdominal.

Do you know how long the hospital stay will be? I forgot to ask that question when we scheduled the surgery.

Unfortunately, I will have to do the bowel prep thing, but I'm not sure what that is about. I'll find out at my pre-op. I had a paralytic ileus after my first c-section, and I never want to go through that again!

I probably will be too nervous to eat or sleep, anyway!

Good Luck
Liz
Unread 09-22-2004, 10:44 AM

I was told no foods after midnight, but that I could have clear liquid, including coffee with sweetner only - no milk products what-so-ever. The hospital suggested apple juice, pear juice, water, coffee...but to keep it light and not over do it. Check to see if you can still have coffee. I plan to wake up and have a midnight snack!!
Unread 09-22-2004, 11:11 AM

Liz -

My doctor said 2-3 days in the hospital. But like everything I've read, every doctor, every patient and every recovery is different. I agree with NorthwestLady. If necessary, I will get up at 3:00am for a light meal! Just can't imagine going so long without food and waking up after anesthesia and probably not wanting to eat for a while, plus being on pain meds. My pre-op isn't until the day before surgery so I've got a ways to go before I know what I'm in for. But Liz, it will be here before we know it and it will be OVER before we know it!

Lisa
Unread 09-22-2004, 01:55 PM

I'm not too concerned about not eating or drinking anything after midnight. My surgery is also in the afternoon. I don't want to do anything that will postpone the 1st day of the rest of my pain-free life. And that's what I'm looking forward to. Come on October 1st.

TAH BS&O October 1st
Fibroids, Pelvic Congestion Syndrome and Adenomyosis
Unread 09-22-2004, 08:21 PM

Well Liz, I just got bumped a day (technically about 36 hours). So now I've gone from a 2:30 surgery on the 12th to a 7:00am surgery the 13th. I'll be thinking of you on the 12th!

Lisa
Unread 09-24-2004, 07:45 AM

My surgery was scheduled for 1:30 pm, and I had the same concern, and posted to this board, and was advised by other sisters to ask the anesthesiologist if I could have something in the morning. I asked during my pre-op and was told I could have water or black coffee, but had to be completed by 6 AM. It is worth asking about during your pre-op. Having my morning coffee made the day much easier.
Unread 09-24-2004, 10:29 AM

Hi ladies, I am scheduled for Oct 12 also and mine is at 12:00. I have to be at the hospital at 9:00am and they told me NOTHING after midnight. I have begged to be moved up earlier because I cannot function without coffee. With all of my previous surgeries, I had to be at hospital at 6:00am so I didnt get out of bed until 5:30 then showered and headed out (the real reason for this is that I am actually a huge chicken and if I am asleep, i wont panic). The waiting in the morning is a huge dread for me.I have already warned the OB that I will need drugs for my nerves. LOL
Good luck everyone.

Missy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register