Anxiety post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anxiety post op Anxiety post op

Unread 03-16-2013, 01:55 AM
Anxiety post op

Hi, I am suffering from anxiety and am just over 5 weeks post op. I am waking in a panic and even going outside to new places is bringing on anxiety. I don't know why this is happening as well, my sleep patterns are all out of wack. I really am hoping this is temporary, has anyone else experienced this? Really could use some help. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2013, 02:44 AM
Re: Anxiety post op

I feel your pain. That's why I'm currently typing this at 3:30am. Can't sleep and feel like I had way too much caffeine all the time. I'm going without HRT, so I'm guessing it might be related to that? Planning on asking my doc for a sleeping pill or anti-anxiety med next week. Sorry I'm no help
Unread 03-16-2013, 05:02 AM

Hello,

I'm getting panic episodes related to (suspected/imaginary) symptoms. I find it peaks at around 7pm or whenever my pain/discomfort levels feel higher. Last night I experienced a mini panic attack. Luckily my b/f got me to bed and distracted me which helped. I realised the panic and anxiety is very much brought on by my physical state (lack of sleep and discomfort levels) but is greatly aggravated by allowing my thoughts to spiral towards fear and worries. I need a selection of things to distract my mind such as an absorbing DVD and I also use Bach Rescue Remedy and make sure my pain meds are timed well to allow sleep and comfort. I really feel for you and cannot suggest much, but I do think a huge procedure like a hysterectomy can be disturbing on a deep emotional level and I know some people have a kind of kick-back of depression or other manifestations. I have had anxiety episodes in my life before and they did pass eventually. I would say it is definitely worth getting some reassuring support and maybe talk to your doctor. I hope it passes soon for you. Sending you love, strength and best wishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-16-2013, 07:27 AM

Hi ladies, thank you for your posts. It does help knowing I'm not alone. I have suffered from anxiety before, was on meds and then weened myself off. It's just much stronger now than before. I also try and distract myself with tv, games etc. I guess I am really nervous about going back to work and feeling this way, somewhat depressed and scared. That could be adding to my anxiety. Have contacted my naturopath and hope he might be able to help. I think my surgeon is not that sensitive, but will also mention it to him. Kind of scared but have to have faith that I will get help and know who and what to ask. Wishing you the best.
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:26 AM

Change a few dietary habits- get lots of fresh air as long as the weather is permissable and if those ideas don't work- I would say ask your doctor about taking effexor- it worked for me when I had post partum anxiety after I had my 5 year old. Just remember this though too- you have to eat something before you take the directed doses and it would be wise to eat healthy foods sos' you don't foof out from added trans-fats or over-loaded calories. Just my thoughts.
Unread 03-16-2013, 11:42 AM

Hello Jade, I was thinking about what I've been eating as well, watch the sugar intake. I also have an issue with my sinuses especially when laying down, so not sure if it's my sinuses that are causing me to stop breathing and then as a result I get a sense of panic. I will need to check in again with the doctor and look up the effexor on line too, thank you for that suggestion. Another hystersister suggested this site for relaxation meditations and I found one for panic attacks and anxiety, thought I'd share too. Thanks
http://www.healthjourneys.com/kaiser...acks_flash.asp
Unread 03-21-2013, 08:44 PM

This is exactly what I am doing also! I am 18 months post op. I awaken almost EVERY time with a panic attack! I have symptoms which my doctor says is PTSD and I over think everything. I can't just have a basic everyday pain...mine is always something serious in my mind. I am now taking Effexor and waiting for it to start working. I will let you know whatever I find out about this drug. I know it has side effects..for me I already am getting sick to my stomach everytime I take it. Not so sick that I can't stand it, but not able to eat anything...kinda like a little virus type feeling. I am on my second day and I feel anxious. It comes in waves. one minute I am fine and the next minute I feel panic. It also can cause constipation, so I am watching out for that also. I just hope it helps me. I will let you know... anyways you are not alone.
Unread 03-21-2013, 09:02 PM

i understand ya there i have been having this issues since i got home from the hospital. i just want to have a decent night sleep. thats all i ask i have been having panic attacks more often. i don't know what to do either.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register