Can't Stay Off This Site! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can't Stay Off This Site! Can't Stay Off This Site!

Unread 04-04-2002, 09:26 PM
Can't Stay Off This Site!

Hello All,

Well, I just found out my surgical date yesterday and they got me in really quick. I'm still in shock : )

I have so much to do but I am too busy devouring everything on this site!

Also, too anxious to go to sleep. Keep thinking of new things to worry about?

What if i curse in the recovery room? How long will it be b4 I can walk my dog? Will I be able to rescue all the lizards and such that the cat brings in?

After reading the various posts I feel very grateful that things are as good as they are for me. No abdominal surgery. I will have help around the house. I am single so my mother, aunt and dd are coming to be with me. (There might be too much help, ha!)

Much Love and Kindess to all of us!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 03:56 AM
Welcome

Colmar. Hi and welcome to the site. The addiction to the site doesn't get any better, I am now almost 4 months post and still come onto the site almost every day.

Glad to hear you have your date and not long to wait either. So good to hear you will have someone with you after as well. For the first few days at least, it is great having someone there to help.

In recovery, I am sure that if you wake up cursing, the nursing staff won't even bat an eyelid. Bet they have heard it all before.

Walking the dogs. Hmm - I have 2 fur babies - a rottie and a rottie cross. At around 4-5 weeks post I started walking one of the dogs (the gentle one that doesn't pull me). I gradually increased the distance I was walking her and by 7 weeks, was able to walk a good distance 3 times a day.

The lizards. Initially Aunt and DD will have to rescue them. You could politely ask the cat to refrain while you are recovering, but I don't think that is going to work. Bending is a real no no after surgery because of internal stitches (whether you have TAH or TVH there are still internal stitches and internal healing).

All the very best for your surgery and for a smooth recovery. Sounds like you are going to have a great support team at home.

Regards

Gail
Unread 04-05-2002, 03:56 AM

Hi Colmar,

I'm sure it was a shock to you to get a surgery date so quickly, but at least you won't have quite as much time to be nervous, (which is quite normal, by the way).

Please don't worry about what you might say in the recovery room - you shouldn't be feeling any major pain, and anyway, I'm sure they understand.

As far as rescuing lizards from your cat - well, depends. They might have to fend for themselves. You shouldn't try to jump up or run or stretch for awhile.

It's good for you to take short walks every day, but walking the dog probably depends on how large he is. Will he pull on the lease and try to run, rather than just walk? Maybe another sister will come along who has a dog and can give you some advice.

I know you've got alot of things to get ready, but also try to get some rest this weekend. It sounds as if you'll get lots of pampering, too, with the great support team that's coming to help you out, so leave some of it for them to take care of.

I'm hoping your surgery goes well.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 04:48 AM

Hi Colmar,

I agree, I think I have been to this site everyday since my surgery was scheduled. And I am sure my family and friends are very happy about that (although they don't know it) If it wasn't for this site, I would have to obsess about this surgery with them!! And I still have 6 weeks from this coming Monday to obsess about it even more!

I have dogs and I think it will make a difference how large they are and how well trained. If they don't pull, I am sure that you could walk them without a problem for short distances. I would think as long as they don't pull, or if they are really small, it wouldn't be a problem. And it would be a good reason to get out and do that Walking that everyone says is so good for you.

As for the lizards! A broom to coax them out of where they shouldn't be usually does the trick at my house.

I am also single and my Mother, sister and niece will most likely all be at the hospital for me, and helping out here at home.

Welcome to the site. So when is your surgery?

Caren
Unread 04-05-2002, 04:36 PM
Thanks

Hi all,

Thanks for the response, it is nice just to think someone is "listening". My Dr said I could walk the dog and drive in about 1 week.

My dog is rather small so it shouldn't be too bad.

Sandcaste, I hope we both have rapid recoveries.

Love to All
Unread 04-05-2002, 04:51 PM

Colmar,

This site can be so addictive, but so helpful. You will find yourself hooked on different message boards according to what phase you are in (e.g., pre-op, post-op, hormone jungle). It's tryly been a lifesaver for me. You might want to get a picker upper. I don't what it's really called, but it can sure come in handy the first week or so. You can get them at pharmacies and medical supply places. If you have time you can pick one up or you could get your family to pick one up for you. Best of luck to you! P. S. Read the pull down menus on what you'll be needing at the hospital and for the first week or so afterwards. They are very helpful.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register