Going away party for my uterus and ovaries | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going away party for my uterus and ovaries Going away party for my uterus and ovaries

Unread 08-12-2007, 07:15 AM
Going away party for my uterus and ovaries

Yes, you read right. This evening, I am throwing a going away party for my uterus and ovaries. Tomorrow I start my bowel prep, so much fun. Anyway, I wanted to have something to look forward to before my surgery and have those who are near and dear to my heart around me. So, we're having a big cookout. Great idea, huh? Everyone I invited burst into hysterical laughter when I told them.

I still can't decide whether to have general anesthesia or spinal/epidural. UGH! Fortunately, I am the first one in on Tuesday morning. I go to the hospital at 6:15 am and should be going in for surgery around 7:45.

I am very scared, but think I am holding up well. Just getting alot of headaches. I think my stress comes out that way. But also, I am pms'ing, my surgery is two days before my period would start.

I'm just so glad I have this sisterhood now. I don't feel so alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2007, 07:20 AM

LOVE this idea! Have a GREAT party!!!! Bon voyage ovaries and uterus!!!! Of course you are having headaches... this is a BIG thing in our lives. You're going to do great. I can't advise you about which anesthesia would be best. Maybe some other sisters out there can. I had a TAH so I was OUT! Enjoy your party. You're about to feel better than you have in years.
Unread 08-12-2007, 09:23 AM

What time do you want all of us at your house for the party? We "Southern" girls know how to have a BBQ!

Good luck at the party and with your surgery.

Gatorfan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-12-2007, 09:43 AM

ccamrine- THAT IS AN AWESOME IDEA!!! Good for you. I hope you have a blast. I think you should make a banner and hang it up... Bon Voyage.... LOL
Wondering about the anesthesia is so normal at this point. It is something the doc doesn't address cuz thats not his realm and we never think about it much til the day gets closer. It's kinda strange addressing something so important on the day of surgery. My doc had said that he recommended the epidural with the general - that it made the initial waking up more painfree, til they get you in your room and pain pump started... (but i was also nauseous, throwing up too. If you do go this route i have heard from friends that asking them to use the "patch" for nausea works great). I have always freaked out on the epidural idea and after talking to anesthesiologist on surgery day decided to just go with the general. Think doc was surprised, but I did great... no pain waking up. (I also had a vag hyst though - not quite as invasive). Figured if I could deliver a 10 pound baby naturally i could handle a little pain if i needed to! LOL
There are some old threads on the anesthesia thing you could read for more info.
Here is just one thread. but there are many. Do a search with "anesthesia"
www.hystersisters.com/ vb2/archive/index.php/t-221388.html
GOOD LUCK! Have a great party tonight.
You will do GREAT!!!
Unread 08-12-2007, 01:15 PM

WOW never thought of throwing a party for your ovaries and uterus, what a great idea I'll have to keep that in mind as my day get's closer. I wishe all the best with your surgery and a speedy recovery.
Unread 08-12-2007, 03:00 PM

A PARTY!!!

This is a FAB idea, why didn't I think of it. What a great way to pick yourself up as the moment draws closer.

Have fun and the very best of wishes for your surgery!

P.S I think you should make a banner too!!! LOL!!!
Unread 08-14-2007, 03:42 PM

Wow! I thought I was the only one! This is a story I've told very few because I've been afraid they too might think I was crazy! About 25 years ago when I was about to have my myomectomy (I was a surgery virgin then) I was so terrified of dying that I decided to have a wake for myself beforehand as a way of attaching humor to what was a very serious matter for me. I believed then, as has been reinforced by the years, that laughter is somtimes the best medicine, especially when it comes to matters of the heart and mind. Co-workers and friends willingly participated, and I don't forget the experience, nor I am sure do those who participated. There were lit candles, background music, black lace mantillas worn by the ladies, poetry readings about me, live opera, Chinese mourners (the Chinese have a tradition whereby they can actually hire, if they need to, people to wail at wakes), etc. All in an office setting!!!!

Although this all may seem morbid, the truth is that dealing with what was real to me at the time--my fears of dying and my deep need to confront them--actually made it one of the most hysterical and enjoyable events of my life and actually did work to relieve so many of my fears. In having the wake I was confronting, head on, the absolute worst case scenario (death), wasn't cheated out of attending my own wake if it indeed happened that I died, AND I also knew that the memories of it would probably keep me chuckling all the way to the surgery and afterwards--which it certainly did. I also realized just how extreme my fear of death was to even go through all of this--a WAKE for God's sake!, which immediately took away some of the more irrational aspects of my fear. As an extra bonus I also saw just how important I was to other people, which is certainly a nice way to enter into any life-changing or life-threatening event. Obviously I lived to tell the tale but after reading similar posts here I'm now in love with the idea of pre-and-post hysterectomy parties, and am thinking maybe I should have a celebratory post-op "Wecome to Your New Life" party......hmmmmm........
Unread 08-14-2007, 04:10 PM

Thats a fantastic idea!! LOL I will remember that one. We are having a party this weekend and I think it has just been renamed :P
Unread 08-14-2007, 05:27 PM

Good for you! I had a celebration dinner with a close friend to say bye bye to mine! Good luck to you! I hope you're as happy as I am a few months post-op!
Unread 08-14-2007, 07:32 PM

The farewell party to the organs is a great idea. I almost had one but it just never got off the ground. My closet girlfriends were all for it and cracked-up when I told them. So the closet thing to it was a recovery party (after I was feeling like socialing) at my best friends house to celebrate her house being painted purple! It looks like it belongs down in Cape May NJ. So the party was called a "girlfriend party".

You go girl!!!
Diana

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register