Pre-op tips that worked really well for me | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) > Hints from Members

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op tips that worked really well for me Pre-op tips that worked really well for me

Unread 10-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Pre-op tips that worked really well for me

The whole experience was much easier than I imagined.

I was very scared but now just a week after my op I am feeling surprisingly ok. Still delicate and a bit saw of course but I can see that life will be normal in the not too distant future.

I have learned so much here at HS from other ladies' advice that I would like to pass the best tips on, the ones that made it all "easy" for me:

1/ must get a tummy belt for after the op! I got it here from HysterSisters. This was the best thing ever as it makes you feel secure that everything is being held together. This also makes it possible to turn on your side to sleep. It's a must!!

2/ take a pillow for the car ride home that you put in between your tummy and the seatbelt. You will feel secure without any added pressure on your wound. It also helps to cushion road bumps.

3/ get 1 ( or even 2) long round bolster cushions for the bed at home. You will be able to put it in between your knees and it also supports your tummy so you can sleep in more comfortable positions

4/after the op, eat very lightly preferably juices, broths and lots of water. This will help with your bowels and your first stool will be soft so you will not need to strain.

Only start eating more substantial food when you start to get hungry ( for me it was only on day 3 after the surgery) Even then, take 1 glass of prune juice a day and extra prunes if needed to keep the bowels soft and easy. It sounds funny but you don't want to strain... trust me.

4/ if you have gas problems after the op, try to wiggle a little bit on to your side, it passes easier. If it accumulates can cause terrible pain so focus on it if you have to. Important!

5/ homeopathy. ARNICA 100 ( you can easily get Arnica 30 at the chemist) and take it a few hours before surgery, just before the surgery and straight after when you are back in your room. As I did not think the nurses would let me take this openly, I hid 3-4 pills on my side table within reach for after the op. It is for shock and it's fantastic! You will heal much quicker if you do this.

6/download Belleruth Naparstek, "Meditations to promote successful surgery" and do the meditation as many times as you can before the surgery. This was a great help in many ways. It calmed me down and I knew that all will be going well. There's one very strange but magical sentence in there: " imagine that something wonderful is just about to happen ". Well, I must admit I never thought about this op that way but it lightens your heart and changes your perception about it. It worked.

7/ you will need lots of support for the first couple of weeks or so, as you will not be able to do much. Your job will be to rest and heal. Your friends and family will need to do pretty much everything else.

I wish you the perfect op and a fast and easy recovery.

With love, Marianne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register