2 Weeks 3 days post hysterectomy (TVH), urethra is dilated about the size of a dime. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

2 Weeks 3 days post hysterectomy (TVH), urethra is dilated about the size of a dime. 2 Weeks 3 days post hysterectomy (TVH), urethra is dilated about the size of a dime.

Unread 12-01-2016, 03:56 PM
2 Weeks 3 days post hysterectomy (TVH), urethra is dilated about the size of a dime.

I am 2 Weeks 3 days total vaginal hysterectomy, my urethra opening is very dilated, about the size of a dime, and it hurts to sit. I did very well last week. This past Monday, 2 weeks post op, I returned to my job. I work in a physicians office at a desk job. Could sitting for an extended period have caused this? I also lifted a few things I probably should not have over the holiday weekend last week but I was fine on Monday. This problem did not present itself until Tuesday of this week. I am quite terrified at the moment and would appreciate feed back if anyone else experienced this after vaginal hysterectomy. Also if so, did the condition rectify itself over time. I called my physicians office on Tuesday evening and spoke with the nurse. I explained I had the sensation of something in my vaginal canal and sharp stabbing twinges. She said I should cut work days to half days so I did but today, after problem still persisted, I finally got up the courage to take a peek to see. That is when I discovered the dilation. I do not know if this is normal or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2016, 06:10 AM
Re: 2 Weeks 3 days post hysterectomy (TVH), urethra is dilated about the size of a dime.

I don't have any insight into whether that's normal (I wouldn't have known what to look for). I do know that even a desk job requires a lot from our core and pelvic regions which are the very areas which need healing. I returned to my part time desk job at further reduced hours after 2 weeks, and experience back ache, crampiness, swelly belly, fatigue and stress from having to pick up where I left off... hindsight is 20/20, but I know now that I should've stayed out another week.

From an article here on Body Mechanics: "Sitting upright for too long ... can put stress on your healing areas, including your vaginal cuff. It can also be very hard on your backside and lower back, which may be extra stressed right now from your position during surgery, your position when resting, extra lying down, and inactivity. Sitting too long could cause it to ache more as it tries to support your frame. To avoid the extra stress to those areas, it would be best to avoid sitting for too long at a stretch. It would be better to rest in a reclined position. If you have returned to a desk job early, or must sit upright for extended periods for another reason, getting up and walking around every hour will help relieve some of the pressure and stress from your abdomen and back."

As for the twinges, that happens during healing. Healing comes in stages with earlier scar tissue dissolving and getting replaced by newer scar tissue. That's when we're likely to feel twinges and zingers. Also, if we've stepped our our activities (even sitting up for a long time), we might get cramps or twinges from that, too.

If you're concerned about the dilation now that you've seen it, I'd run it by the doc's office again. Update us when you can.

Unread 12-02-2016, 06:24 AM
Re: 2 Weeks 3 days post hysterectomy (TVH), urethra is dilated about the size of a dime.

Thank you for the reply!!
I did call my doctors office. (also noted a context error in my original post, should have said urethra swollen about the size of a dime and dilated, not dilated to dime sized ). Anyways, Dr. Office said the urethra could be irritated due to the folly catheter that was used and then the added pressure from sitting up for extended period added to the swelling and pain. I have a new symptom this morning, spotting (light pink) and slight odor. From what I have read, this is normal for 2+ weeks post op TVH as sutures start to dissolve. Spotting, after none previously, along with the burning pain that I was experiencing yesterday is an indication that I have done too much. Luckily I also work for four wonderful family doctors and they have demanded I not come back to the office until I am 100% and are letting me work from home, from my couch. I am very blessed to work with such wonderful folks!! Currently I am on the couch with laptop in had and plan on staying here, only short trips to bathroom etc. for today.
Thanks again for your reply!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2016, 06:26 AM

Thank you for the reply!!
I did call my doctors office. (also noted a context error in my original post, should have said urethra swollen about the size of a dime and dilated, not dilated to dime sized ). Anyways, Dr. Office said the urethra could be irritated due to the folly catheter that was used and then the added pressure from sitting up for extended period added to the swelling and pain. I have a new symptom this morning, spotting (light pink) and slight odor. From what I have read, this is normal for 2+ weeks post op TVH as sutures start to dissolve. Spotting, after none previously, along with the burning pain that I was experiencing yesterday is an indication that I have done too much. Luckily I also work for four wonderful family doctors and they have demanded I not come back to the office until I am 100% and are letting me work from home, from my couch. I am very blessed to work with such wonderful folks!! Currently I am on the couch with laptop in hand and plan on staying here, only short trips to bathroom etc. for today.
Thanks again for your reply!!
Unread 12-02-2016, 06:48 AM

I'm glad it helped in some small way, but more than that, it's great that your workplace is so understanding and have given you the green light for staying off the job site a while longer. Being physicians, they understand the healing process even if they don't perform our type of procedures.

Rest well - we don't often get to do so!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register