Getting ready for abdom hysterectomy - does Swelly 'belly band work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting ready for abdom hysterectomy - does Swelly 'belly band work? Getting ready for abdom hysterectomy - does Swelly 'belly band work?

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:16 AM
Getting ready for abdom hysterectomy - does Swelly 'belly band work?

Hi to all of you brave sisters. I am considering buying the band for swelly belly. Is it kinda wet all the time. I am not sure about that. If it can be wiped off and cools and supports, I am all for it, but if I have to use saran wrap to keep my clothes and furniture dry....????

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:24 AM

I got both the swelly belly band & the chillow. I agree with you, the swelly belly band is too wet to use. The feeling of support was kind of nice but I didn't like that swampy feeling next to my incision, clothes or funiture.
The Chillow was nice & dry! I could drap it across my belly when I was reading or sitting at the computer. I used that alot!
Unread 06-28-2007, 09:36 AM

Is the belly band similiar to the bands pregnant women wear towards the end of pregnancy? Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-28-2007, 09:39 AM

The swelly belly band is made out of a cotton blend fabric with a wide elastic velcro band in the back. Its got little chambers in the front & you soak it in water & they swell up & feel cool. But the fabric stays wet unless you hang it to dry then the stuff that you hydrated starts to dry out. My sister loved hers & recommended it. But I didn't like that wet feeling.
Can't answer about the pregnancy band---I never had kids!
Unread 06-28-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathystar
The swelly belly band is made out of a cotton blend fabric with a wide elastic velcro band in the back. Its got little chambers in the front & you soak it in water & they swell up & feel cool. But the fabric stays wet unless you hang it to dry then the stuff that you hydrated starts to dry out. My sister loved hers & recommended it. But I didn't like that wet feeling.
Can't answer about the pregnancy band---I never had kids!
That helped because I know the preg. band doesnt have chambers its just a huge looking rubber band. I'm not sure I'd like the wet feeling either. thanks
Unread 06-28-2007, 11:44 AM

You might see if you can find a pregnancy band. The support is what I liked about the swelly belly band & that big abdominal binder they gave me in the hospital was too much! It went from under the breasts down to crotch! I'm a really petite person so maybe it doesn't fit everyone like that. I only wore it one day. It was stiff & ungainly & hot.
You know what else was really comfy was maternity shorts! I found some at Ross' Dept Store for $5 & figured what the heck? I didn't like & still don't like anything really rubbing my incision & they were nice & soft & stretchy. Well worth the $5 investment.
Unread 06-28-2007, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathystar
You might see if you can find a pregnancy band. The support is what I liked about the swelly belly band & that big abdominal binder they gave me in the hospital was too much! It went from under the breasts down to crotch! I'm a really petite person so maybe it doesn't fit everyone like that. I only wore it one day. It was stiff & ungainly & hot.
You know what else was really comfy was maternity shorts! I found some at Ross' Dept Store for $5 & figured what the heck? I didn't like & still don't like anything really rubbing my incision & they were nice & soft & stretchy. Well worth the $5 investment.
Great idea about the shorts. Thanks. My DIL has one of the belly bands gotta see if I can borrow it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register