I'm back again! I have ????? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I'm back again! I have ????? I'm back again! I have ?????

Unread 04-05-2004, 11:54 AM
I'm back again! I have ?????

Hi Ladies, I know I spend entirely too much time on here but I have some questions and cannot get my doctor, she is in surgery all day, so I was wondering if I could ask the experts!
I have two fibroids and a huge cyst on my ovary so I am scheduled for a TAH on 4/22/04. I went to my SIL's over the weekend and she showed me a lot of info on different things, as she has just had a "hystascopy" (SP??) in Dec. I am a diabetic and she said I should try to have a TVH instead since I will have a hard time healing but my Dr. never mentioned that to me, only that I should have a TAH. Can you choose which way you should go? I don't have much time to make any changes, and I don't even know if you can, but now I am confused!!
Also I keep reading that the pain from the surgery is not as bad as the pain you have before, but for me, I have massive bleeding but no real pain to speak of....I guess I am just looking for reassurances I am doing the right thing. You know how you finally take your car in to get fixed because it has been giving you a hard time forever, and you finally get there and it stops making the noise? Well for the first time in a year, I am bleeding but not bad (the Provera must have finally kicked in since January) and of course no pain or clots. Just a normal run of the mill period. Go Figure! My husband keeps telling me it is in my head, see, my body has betrayed me!
I think I have lost it! I must be going crazy!
Sorry so long! Please let me know about the TVH.
Thank you Sisters! Sprry such a mess.

S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2004, 12:02 PM

Hi! I am on this site way too much today, too!

I asked my dr about TVH, and she said it would be a much more complicated procedure, for me, because of the size of the fibroids and uterus, and because I would like to save one/both ovaries if healthy. Apparently, she feels I need to be opened up for her to do a thorough inspection, and to detach the ovaries from the rest of the works. She was concerned about me bleeding too much and possibly rupturing the fibroid (needs to be intact in case there are cx cells to spill out) and, in this case, doing TVH would take longer.

By all means, ask your dr about your case. Sometimes if mine is too busy to talk, she will fax answers to my questions later on.

Good luck
akita
Unread 04-05-2004, 12:04 PM

I didn't have a choice--I have to have an abdominal hyst, because I have such a huge chocolate cyst and a lot of adhesions. Fibroid and uterus sizes are also factors in whether you can do a VH or have to do an AH. I believe that they do have to take the cervix in a VH, so if you were considering keeping the cervix, that is another thing to think about.

There is a whole other thread (or maybe more) about the body suddenly starting to "behave" in the face of surgery, so no, you aren't going crazy!

I don't have that much pain either, but I've been through an abdominal incision twice now (third time's the charm?) and it is no picnic, but it is definitely manageable for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2004, 12:10 PM

totally unrelated, but, belle, it is SO WRONG that 'they' call them chocolate cysts.
Unread 04-05-2004, 12:11 PM

Hey 39
Me too, on here way too much. Geez, now we need to start Hystersisters Anonymous....a support group for women addicted to support groups

About being diabetic. It is true that SOME diabetics to have trouble with healing. I am one of them. My main problem is the threat of infection. If a germ even looks at me, I get an infection. This is usually counteracted by the fact that I get a big old bag of antibiotics through my IV before I am wheeled into the OR.

I am having an abdominal hyst for several reasons. One is the fact that I have TONS of endo that needs to be cleaned up, and my uterus is also fused to my bowel and pelvic wall, so it's going to take awhile to get all that unstuck.

There are pros and cons to doing the hyst both ways. Talk to your doc as soon as you can. There may be a reason for doing the abdominal.

don't freak out yet, there's lots of time for that

sending you a

Tam
Unread 04-05-2004, 12:14 PM
who are "they"

it is SO WRONG that 'they' call them chocolate cysts.[color=red]

quote from Akita

heard this the other day, and fell off my chair laughing.....

"okay, so who the heck are "they"....when was the last time you drove by "THEY" University..... "
Unread 04-05-2004, 12:40 PM
ha!

Thanks Ladies! I feel a little better now!
That is funny, a support group for support group addicts!
All I keep thinking is how nutty I would be without this site!
I am going to send her a fax since I can't seem to reach her, I'm sure she will call me. She knows what a spastic case I am anyway!
I am trying to stay optimistic, 17 more days!
I wish I could hide in a closet for 16 days so my husband could stop trying to talk me out of it!
The latest thing is the SIL says she was awake when they took her breathing tube out and she thought she was choking to death.
EGAD! Pray for me.
See what I mean?

S.
Unread 04-05-2004, 12:47 PM

okay sweetie

CHILL!!!!

I have had several surgeries, and to be perfectly honest, I have NEVER been anything even close to conscious when they take the breathing tube out! That is the sign of an incompetent anesthetist!!!!

You are not a spaz, because that would make me a spaz too....I am in spaz denial!

You may not hide in the closet for 16 days, because how on earth would you get to the ice cream and chocolate??? That is unacceptable my dear.

Send the doc a fax if it makes you feel better. Then when you have your answers you'll wonder why the heck you got yourself all in a tizzy!

s
Tam
Unread 04-05-2004, 12:57 PM

I think the size of your fibroids and especially the ovarian cyst determine how it can be removed. The ovarian cyst may get hooked up if it's too large to tug out vaginally.I know the Dr said that is why I am having my TAH..
Puppet
Unread 04-05-2004, 12:59 PM

i have learned that it depends on the size of uterus, the fibroids, etc as to whether they do it abdominally or vaginally or lap/vag. and whether or not there is a lot of endo, adhesions and how badly things are stuck together.

I am having my left ovary and an endometrioma removed in 2 weeks and she already told me it had to be through the same incision as the hyst. to make sure she can get everything out and not rupture the endometrioma. So what akita replied goes right in line with that.

You should address this with your doc.

jody

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register